Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: milsom 93's Project Skids S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by john905 View Post
    ok bud will see what dates come up in the summer and sort something out, first thing i done was ditch my hot start solenoid you get any over heating issues when drifting? i only ask as when i had a standard rad in mine it always boiled over but i didn't have a fan cowling tho
    Not had any issues with overheating yet.... But I think it's close to the top of my list as it is bound to get an issue eventually as I keep slipping the power up. Although I don't have a gauge yet either to keep track so unsure on the exact temp as I know the standard one can't be trusted (next job after Teeside)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by milsom93 View Post
    Not had any issues with overheating yet.... But I think it's close to the top of my list as it is bound to get an issue eventually as I keep slipping the power up. Although I don't have a gauge yet either to keep track so unsure on the exact temp as I know the standard one can't be trusted (next job after Teeside)
    The IRONY!!

Not done much to the car really I was mearly keeping it working until Teeside, I packed the car up Sunday, set off at 5:40AM Monday to get there pretty early for 7:30. The weather was poo but in a slightly good way for me as this give me a chance to get to know the track with less grip. There was a massive puddle after the first corner so I straightened up before that and the S-bends where really slippery with mud but I felt the car was performing ace very well and ready for some dry stuff.

Luckily the track dried up over dinner to which I pumped my rear tyres up and went back out. Different game in the dry but I felt I soon got in to it and managed to link the full track after an hour or two. Obviously there was a tonne of extra grip and I was sitting pretty much on the red line all the track whilst clutch kicking in the tight S-bends and overall the car started to get warm. I kept pulling into the pits and letting her cool down, but I soon noticed it smoking on idle and on run down. Around an hour before track closing and after what I think was my best run I decided to pack up and head off home before trouble emerged. Too late as around 1 mile down the road this happened.

Overheated to the point of cutting out thanks to the new roads that only have 1 lay-by for ever 1000 miles. Luckily it rolled to into the first lay-by we saw.

Decided to cut my loses and just get recovered as there was pressure in the coolant system and blowing smoke looked to be the head gasket. 3 hours later the car was on the recovery truck and we headed home.

Most of you have probably seen the thread of everyone helping me diagnose the head gasket and with time being very very tight at the minute I am still on with it, but the thoughts running through my head are:

Convert the thing to a nice fruity engine as I had always planned (just not this early)
    Buy another CA thats working and plant that in and refurb mine for a spare engine
    Strip mine down and rebuild the head

Looks like I'll be doing the latter but if the results come back that it's not all kaput

Totally my fault as I should have upgraded the cooling system and secondly fitted done gauges (both jobs I was going to do after Teeside as I run out of time) but shit happens so lets get it fixed and get back out hopefully for the May drift day.

Pictures I have found so far.

Rides
    some good pics there mate, hopefully it will a simple headgasket replacement you plan to go back to teeside in may?

Rides
    Looking good mate, what was it you replied about the japspeed type 2 as I deleted the message :-(

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Some awesome pics there you taken the head off yet?

Rides
    some good pics there mate, hopefully it will a simple headgasket replacement you plan to go back to teeside in may?
    I was hoping to go mate but I don't know weather the car will ready so I gave it a miss. There is two dates in May though, 2nd and 30th which are bank holidays if you fancy one of them

Quote Originally Posted by samking13 View Post
    Looking good mate, what was it you replied about the japspeed type 2 as I deleted the message :-(

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Sent another pm matey

Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Some awesome pics there you taken the head off yet?
    I wanted to double check before taking the head off mate and the compression test looks like the whole engine is worn out because the compression was low until some oil was poured in so need to find myself a cheap CA I think.

Rides
    cant see me making them bud, back at pod in may and fancy going to kings lynn in june will keep an eye out for some dates later on in the year

Rides
    Oww mate I drove past u on The way home. Would have stopped to lend a hand but I really wasn't well was in bed for the next 2 days after Teeside! Looked like u were doing well from what I could see whilst waiting in line!! 👍🏻

Rides
    cant see me making them bud, back at pod in may and fancy going to kings lynn in june will keep an eye out for some dates later on in the year
    You seem to be getting loads of seat time mate, keep it up. Never heard of kings Lynn though

Quote Originally Posted by racs View Post
    Oww mate I drove past u on The way home. Would have stopped to lend a hand but I really wasn't well was in bed for the next 2 days after Teeside! Looked like u were doing well from what I could see whilst waiting in line!!
    No worries mate, there was nothing we could really do at the road side any how. Some guys from driftnuts in Halifax stopped and give me all the water they had but by the time the car had cooled down enough the recovery truck wasn't far off. It was a much smoother ride home to be fair, and £25 fuel saved what car was you in mate? Have to collar me next time in the pits, I felt I progressed pretty well just can't wait to get back and improve more

Rides
    yeah trying to mate, i was told about it by a mate its at the adrian flux arena will give it ago and its fairly local to me too

Rides
    Was in a red s14a and Ye will come say hi next time I'm there! Should be going on the 30th may

Rides
    yeah trying to mate, i was told about it by a mate its at the adrian flux arena will give it ago and its fairly local to me too
    I'll have to look out for that one mate.

Quote Originally Posted by racs View Post
    Was in a red s14a and Ye will come say hi next time I'm there! Should be going on the 30th may
    I was hoping for the 30th but I'm working. I'll be at the one after if work falls right. I know the one, seemed to be going well whilst I was on the viewing hill

Keep this up to date,

Compression results come back low on all cylinders but is no evidence of a blown head gasket but though stuff it I'll get the head off to see why compression was so low. Thankfully I got to the exhaust manifold back bolt and ended up throwing my teddy out of the cot whilst I got some stubby spanners. In this time I got advised to put it all back together and just see what the results are as it may be a inaccurate compression tester and this would put me on to source a new engine if the all was ok.

So went over to a chap called Eddie in Teeside who was breaking his S13 and come back with this....

Japspeed rad with electric fan, cowling and temperature switch
    Pignose bumper and splitter
    Some skideskirts
    whilst cramming two bucket seats in for a friend.
    Did well to get it all in a C30.

So the rad is an SR, but I am just going to make up some sort of pipe to make it fit. After a lot of emailing the final silicone hose is here and fitted, just waiting to bleed the system up, and connect power thermostatic switch

Found this in the thermostat housing

New thermostat

Took aircon rad out whilst it was all off to get the best flow

converted fenders to pre-facelift. Very bodge as I simply put some fiberglass over the holes and then filler on that. Not 100% happy with it but I'll be spraying the car soon anyway.

Whilst the fenders were off cut the conduit off and split the loom in to two as it was too bulky to properly fit the fenders before

Things left to do is,
    Bleed Coolant
    Power thermostatic switch to auxilary circuit
    New tyres all round
    fit side skirts
    Buy some gauges
    Paint car

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Should look nice with the kit on mate, always liked the pignose. Im messing about painting mine at the minute, should be done by the start of June so I might actually get to an event.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    Should look nice with the kit on mate, always liked the pignose. Im messing about painting mine at the minute, should be done by the start of June so I might actually get to an event.
    Cheers jake, I'm a big pig nose fan.

I'll see how your paint comes out and I might give you a call are you rattle canning it?

But yeah come skid once its done mate

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Cheers jake, I'm a big pig nose fan.

I'll see how your paint comes out and I might give you a call are you rattle canning it?

But yeah come skid once its done mate
    Nope, got a compressor and gun, gonna do it a nice gloss red in the garage. No laquer or anything but should be simple and make it look a bit cleaner.

Rides
    Unfortunatley not many pictures, but the coolant system bled up a beauty and seems to keep its temp so far, but I haven't took it on the main roads yet.

Diagnosis for the coolant pressure on the day is opening the rad cap when the car was cooling down and pouring some more water in as I thought it would help Looks like I just totally air locked the system hence pressure.

Car started up really well apart from the exhaust gasket on cylinder 3 is blowing and currently sounds like a tractor. Still have the blue smoke mind you. I recorded the exhaust mani for the sake but at the end you see the blue smoke. Would I be right to think turbo? there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust mani leak.

Any how, got the bumper and skirts properly fitted. Looks better could just do with some spats and then putting all one colour.

Rides
    It's been an age since I last updated.

Car went to Chrisp Tuning for new manifold gaskets and studs fitted. Also asked him to have a look at why is piling blue smoke out. Once turbo was off he confirmed it had poo'd itself as there was loads of play and even damage to the impeller.

I didn't plan to go stage two but it was easier to get a T28 in good condition than T25. Bit of a night mare when looking for a turbo. The chap who sold me the radiator set up had T28 for good money which I went and picked up. When I dropped it off for fitting, soon found out the housing was seized solid and it needed to be rotated slightly (chap who I bought it off wasn't to know). So after searching high and low found a T28R that had only done a few thousand miles and was genuinely mint.

Chris did an ace job and made it look like a factory install which is nice

By the time I had sorted the turbos out it had ran out of MOT. Loads niggley bits needed doing. I always spend a day doing them before hand. Chris did them for me without fuss and also sorted me out two new rear tyres. Got it through on Friday, took the long route home playing with the boost controller. Once home it's been in the garage collecting dust as I've been busy but I'll get out for a drive Tuesday. So far it feels a lot better and with it being T28R there is no more lag than before.

Unfortunately, two turbos and a deposit on a new daily means I can't quite justify another drift day and need to build my savings back. I'll hopefully be back on track early next year but for now I think it's pull it out on a weekend and just enjoy driving it.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Mines painted up now, have to come out for a drive or something, go over to Liams and laugh at his wastegate falling off

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    Mines painted up now, have to come out for a drive or something, go over to Liams and laugh at his wastegate falling off
    Are you back up this end mate? Yeah I'm game for something along them lines

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Are you back up this end mate? Yeah I'm game for something along them lines
    Yeah im only in Lincoln at the moment so its not far out the way, will have to sort something. What did Chrisp charge for your clutch as mine will need doing soon?