Thread: changing spring rates Tein FLEX

Rides

changing spring rates Tein FLEX

Hi,

I got a Tein Flex on my S13 but the springs are way to soft. The tyre is rubbing on the inner fender wall as soon I turn fast into Corners.

From what I've found the Springrates are 5/4 or 7/7. Is there any way to find out what spring rates I've got?

front says: V050-LD4
    rears: M040-LD3

I'm considering to mount springs from superdrift (10/8) in the fronts. Did someone did this before and how it drives?

Whould I need a revalve? :/

Rides
    No way spring rates like that should be causing the problems you describe.

We commonly see 7/5 and 6/4 setups over here and it's not caused issue.
    Some of the 'comfy coilovers' are rated at 5/3.

Are you running the car too low, using massive wide wheels, have it 'stanced' or anything like that?
    Last edited by R3K1355; 30-04-2014 at 15:50.

Rides
    yea car is low.. it's about same ride height than in my old 200SX with HSD coilovers and no rubbing.

Rides
    Are you running updated arb's. they could be a good way forward. Also at that sort of ride height I would look at bending the inner arch/ turret seams to gain some more clearance.

Apex sell springs for there coil overs so failing that stiffer coils will reduce roll but at the detriment of drive ability and comfort. If you want I can measure my apex springs diameter and length so you know if they will fit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Yeah I've got Cusco arb's.

I did everything i could do to offer more clearance. Following picture shows where it rubs

I don't want to cut out the arch and weld in some tubes.

I think you should not change springs on your coilovers without getting the dampers revalved. I consider to buy a BC Racing coilover with 10/8 springs. Any reviews?

Or keep the Tein and and raise the car up for like 1" lol

Rides
    The spring rate should be written on the spring.

If you just change the springs there is a chance that it will move the possible ride height out of the range of height that you want as the static sag will be different.

When Apex design coilovers, they adjust the strut length (usually the lower assembly) to allow for the static sag and they also define the working range of compression and rebound damping to reflect the spring rate.

Just changing the spring may be a false economy. In the UK, secondhand prices for coilovers is very strong so you might be cheaper (and will definitely have a better solution) if you buy new ones at the right spring rate for you and sell-on the ones you have.

I know my views on ride comfort are a little extreme as I run 4/3 kg/cm Apex Limos but 6/5s should be giving you a firm ride on the road. 10/8s are really just for the track and will have you a very skittery ride with you rarely having all 4 wheels on the ground.

EDIT: Just seen that you have posted the codes off the springs. They're 5/4s then.

Maybe go to 6/5s then but I think 8/6s are going to be hard work on the road and 10/8s just horrid. I'd also consider changing your ARBs to adjustables. The Whitelines are good and have 3 adjusters at the front, 2 at the back. I run mine at the softest setting and get little body roll.

Rides
    @ Jonny,

yea I also think it would be the best choice to sell the flex and buy a stiffer one to drive at this height.

Tein Superdrift also got 10/8 rates.

Is it really that hard? Maybe I should go for 8/6 then.

Still not sure what coilover...

Driftworks / HSD
    BC Racing
    Tein Superdrift

I dont have much options because of german MOT.

Rides
    You pay a lot for the Tien name IMO.

I've bought Apex (twice) and been happy with them. Their Gen 2s are better quality than the Gen 1s.

Is there no-one whose car you can go out in to see what 8/6 vs 10/8 is like. The only 10/8 car I've been out in, I only travelled around 10km and I didn't think I was going to be able to get out of the car afterwards Its safe to say I didn't enjoy it

Rides
    How old are you?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by a13x. View Post
    yea car is low..
    Nice!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by a13x. View Post
    How old are you?

I remember the first moon landing but not Kennedy being shot....but only because I was pissed