Thread: Catch cans and their usage/maintenance on a big build

Rides

Catch cans and their usage/maintenance on a big build

I'm looking at a car with a forged build which has had its PCV system replaced with 2 catch cans....

I don't know a huge amount about them though.

The car is running a T36 turbo and mapped to run 380bhp. However in the last 5k miles he has emptied both catch cans once. Is this a lot for a 2.3 turbocharged build? Should be I concerned at it breathing that much or not?

It's a volvo with a t5 setup but not exactly the norm.
    Alex

Rides
    That sounds quite excessive. On my s13 my old catch can barely needed emptying once every year or so. Only started becoming regularly when the rings had worn causing excessive blowby

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by retardrift View Post
    I'm looking at a car with a forged build which has had its PCV system replaced with 2 catch cans....

I don't know a huge amount about them though.

The car is running a T36 turbo and mapped to run 380bhp. However in the last 5k miles he has emptied both catch cans once. Is this a lot for a 2.3 turbocharged build? Should be I concerned at it breathing that much or not?

It's a volvo with a t5 setup but not exactly the norm.
    Alex
    depends on how he has it setup i think but yeah as Zornayn said it could be a bad sign

Rides
    Wants a compression test in my view. Is the engine standard internally? Should be able to find out what the acceptable range for compression is easily enough.

If it looks low, the old trick of dropping some oil down the bore will tell you for certain if it's the leakage past the rings.

Rides
    Alex asked me this yesterday and I thought it seemed a lot. From what I remember, it has forged rods and has had new rings. I suspect the bores may have been over honed or something so there is excessive blow by. My old S14a didn't breathe any oil at all.