Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estate Derv or Modern Hot Hatch (New Daily >40mpg Needed)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    LOL I don't know if I like the interior or not... its hit or miss for me.
    Overall or just the coloured seats? If the latter the ST3 has leather and if you get a ST2 in anything but Blue or Yellow they have grey inserts. They are however awesome to sit in
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Maybe have a look at the Honda Civic Type R.

I have the 1.8 petrol Civic. It cost me 12,500 for a 61-plate, my Mrs got 48.2 mpg running Essex to Birmingham and back and I managed 44.3 mpg average over 475 miles running up to Cheshire, round and about then back again.

We also got 5 people (2 men, 3 ladies) and holiday luggage in it quite easily when we went abroad earlier in the year. The way the seats fold is really neat - you can get two mountain bikes in the middle by folding the seats up and still have the full boot space.

I said try the Type R as I find mine to be a bit lacking at 150 bhp. The Type R has that bit of extra zing.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    If you go for a diesel estate I'd suggest a test drive in a Mazda 6 Sport SL, it was up there with the BM for me as best drivers car, and has one of the best handling capabilities of any estate I've driven, plus a superb 2.2 4 cylinder 185bhp engine.

Just done 3k in 6 weeks and am hugely impressed, cracks 50 real world mpg and can chase a hot hatch down a B road

Very practical and fully loaded without German badge premium.
    Kev's 59 plate one was cracking and it was the only 2lt. I have been tempted to look into them as a decent daily driver. I think I may be just chasing the want of a fun and daily car in one LOL

Rides
    I have driven both, and the 2.2 is a brilliant engine, Mazda's own design, as opposed to the 2.0 which I believe is Ford.

The 2.2 revs like I didn't think a diesel 4 pot would, well worth a try. Make sure you get a good one, I drive 4 in one day and they varied a lot, we had a newish Civic Tyre R as a pool car and I reckon the Mazda is quicker down a B road.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    The 2.0 diesel is a Mazda lump as well and a bit of a dog, at least the older version was (circa 2004).
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The 2.0 diesel is a Mazda lump as well and a bit of a dog, at least the older version was (circa 2004).
    tis the 2L not PSA lump on the new versions? (DW10C I guess).... I know mazda use the PSA 1.6d....

Rides
    Not sure about the current range but my sister has 04 plate 2.0d and its not a DW10 or a Puma lump. Would be strange for them to use their own 2.2 and use the DW10 when they could have used a DW12 as well.
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Mark I was talking about the 2008 and 2009 Mazda 2.0 td, I think it was Parkers said they where Ford units.

The 2.2 is Mazda's own design, and an absolute gem of a 4 pot diesel

Rides
    Wullie - not only do I have that VXR wagon, I've also got a 13/13 ST-3 wagon in blue...

Rides
    The Mazda lump isnt as good as you think, have a read of this

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar.../?section=good

Seems they like to implode shortly after DMF failure affects the 2.0 and 2.2. The Japs have never been any good with diesels for some reason

looking at photos of the 2.0, it isnt either a Ford or PSA lump
    Mark is right.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post
    Wullie - not only do I have that VXR wagon, I've also got a 13/13 ST-3 wagon in blue...
    LOL Bo. I wonder if I could persuade Jenny on them haha

I'm going to look at a 320d locally tonight at an Arnold Shark garage. I wanna see them up close and try and get a drive.

My mind is still elsewhere on this. Part of me thinks get something at the top of the budget thats it... the other parts thinks, get a cheaper daily and save some cash for other stuff....

TOO MANY CHOICES!!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Mazda lump isnt as good as you think, have a read of this
    You can read enough about any engine on the internet.

Like any modern diesel, unless you do the miles and longs run you will suffer from DPF and EGR problems. I've never heard of failures and friends and family have run cars with the 2.2 engines for quite a while.

The only issue you need to be aware of is if you do short journeys all the time and stop the engine doing a dpf regen cycle is "dumps" excess fuel into the oil, causing it to rise a little. No idea why they did this.

But as stated above, with modern petrols being more efficient I'd only recommend recent diesels with DPF and EGR for those regularly doing long runs.

My Dad has a Lexus IS220D and does 3k per year, every year he needs the EGR cleaned out.

But on the 2.2, you really should try it in 185bhp spec, it's a cracking engine, really powerful and nice to drive/rev for a 4 pot.