Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo_black's 180SX becoming EMPEROR TUNING's(Jont) Sil80 Project

Rides
    OK got to grips with cleaning the spray bars. First filled them with break cleaner a few times. Then stuck a pin through the holes to clear them out a little. But found the best way was to go old school and mouth to mouth on the exit holes and blow through them until they're perfectly clear. Now I have mocked up a little petrol bath and leaving them in there to soak over-night to melt any other crap that might be in there.

This is the first time I have clean spray bars. I would definitely recommend it. Dead easy to do. Mine were not completely blocked, but were a little gummy and will definitely lubricate better now. They are like new now. This was a fairly clean engine, so a dirty engine will probably have been blocked worse than mine. Free mod that keeps engine alive at the end of the day so a no brainer.

After that carried on painting a few more parts.

Rides
    OK got a few things done today:

Used paint cans from paint job. Defintely not watching my carbon footprint.

Lovely clean spray bars fitted and torqued to 10Nm.

Balling new engine bay. Just temporarily fitted to keep engine clean, my new liquid gasket hasn't arrived yet.

OK so time to fit over fenders. Went ape sh1t with the glue as I'm not intending to use any hard fixings.

Some monkey suggested using Tigerseal, but it refused to stick, so have put about 100Kg of weights on it, hopefully it will help it stick. Otherwise I'm in the sh1t!

It's all health and safety nowdays so errected safety barrier at required 950mm height, although I doubt it achieves the stipulated BS585 Standard 7.6KN/m linear loading lol. Balls, just realised I got the big arrow pointing the wrong way.

Last edited by jont; 26-04-2014 at 14:37.

Rides
    Next thing I want to do to engine, after cam cover is fitted, is to do an engine oil flush. I figured with that, the spray bars cleaned and the uprated sump then that should be my lubrication system in top condition and ready for action.

Rides
    Just started fabricating a little fascia piece for my dash out of alloy. Will mount battery and fuel pump isolator switches there. Also has been 24 hours so can remove weights from the rear over-fender

Rides
    Oh piss!

Waited recommended 24 hours for Tigerseal curing time. Didn't stick though. Not sure whether tigerseal-paint or paint-car connection failed. Removed weights and immediately the edges started lifting up.

Feel deflated now. Not sure how to continue this project. The obvious suggestion is to use rivets/screws, but that is exactly the reason why I had to remove fenders in the first place Bummer.

Rides
    I'd say it was a incorrectly prepared surface on the car. My advice would be to prep and paint the panel properly, with a basecoat and clearcoat. This will give a good surface for the sealer to grip to and provide good rust protection against moisture.
    To apply the sealer to a well prepped panel, all you should need to do is apply a key to the area where the sealer is going and degrease both surfaces. Make sure even and sufficient pressure is applied over the panel and leave to cure overnight (best to do it on a dry night if left outside). Make sure you clean any excess from the edge of the panel after it has been placed on the car with panel wipe/degreaser on a cloth or paper towel.

Rides
    looking good its coimng on well have been told tiger seal is really good stuff as mike said probably not preped right bud

Rides
    Hi Mike

Yes well I did do all of that except for the keying.

I did 2 coats of primer. 2 costs of paint. 2 coats of laqcuer. Left to dry for 3 days. Then applyed the Tigerseal and panel. Left 24hours with weights on it.

I could potentially try again with adding the step of keying prior to applying the Tigerseal. To be honest though this has kind of knocked my confidence, I mean what if I get it to stick, but then it flies off on a public motorway and smashes through someone's windscreen. I have got no way or guaranteeing that that sealant/glue is every going to be strong enough...

Think I may visit a local bodyshop tomorrow to get some more advice.

The thing is - if I do hand the project over to a bodyshop to complete, and spend £1000 or whatever it'll cost, then I may as well get the whole car sprayed properly. And all of a sudden we are talking a £3000 job, which I can not afford as I am cutrrently out of work. Pain in the bottom.

Well on the plus side I cheered myself up by making this. It looks cool. I want to do some more metal work, might do some alloy door cards tomorrow:

Rides
    That's the main problem, having confidence that it will be strong enough. I am not sure that I can ever do paint work that is strong enough to support the fender.

Rides
    OK time to put rocker cover back on properly. I use Hylomar Blue as it's cheap and has not failed me before. Cover on and bolts torqued to 10Nm.

Rides
    OK time to sort out a decent toe strap. Used 40x40x4mm Mild L Section. Stitched top and bottom and to OE hook so I'm pretty sure it's going to be robust enough. Car isn't very heavy.

Rides
    LOL reminds me of a dog panting with a tongue hanging out.

Rides
    OK, had a think. Think I am going to get some full wrap around fenders. I think I can get these to fit a lot easier without hard fixings.

My old +20mm aerokit fenders are now for sale. No damage/cracks. £110 collected £130 posted. Let me know if you want them please.

Rides
    Got a few little odds and sods done today:

- Found a 180sx engine bay fuse box cover yay!!! Been looking one for ages. Turns out I had one in my shed under and old lawnmower. Win.

- Plastic conduited the driver's side loom. All loom is conduit now so no chance of shorts.

- Fitted plastic trim above driver's knee's

- Finished painting inside of doors, look a bit smarter now.

- Dusted off wideband O2 sensor, will need to use once car is up and running. Gunna give it a real nice smooth nistune map.

- Tried fitting glove box but missing little metal strip and latch that allow it to fit. Don't suppose anyone has these parts please?

Rides
    Done today:

- bonded little mesh bits inside the vented wings, looks quite cool.

- fixed the roof. Had some damage after 2012 crash. looks mint now patched up and painted.

Rides
    Looking good mate! I like the neat meshing on the front wings, very tidy.

Rides
    Cheers bud!

Whoops just reaslised that is old pic of roof. It kinked in middle and de-laminated from the roof skin. Lets try again. Here is proper pic.

Rides
    Loving the build & thanks for calling me a nice chap - not many would! Just rejoined on here - I can't believe how bad those arches were under the wide grp ones considering how good it looked from the outside. I always planned on doing the sil80 on it so it's really good to see what it's looking like now. Doesn't look like you're planning on selling it though but good luck with the rest of your project!

Rides
    Shocking to see the arches in that state!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lozsprint View Post
    Loving the build & thanks for calling me a nice chap - not many would! Just rejoined on here - I can't believe how bad those arches were under the wide grp ones considering how good it looked from the outside. I always planned on doing the sil80 on it so it's really good to see what it's looking like now. Doesn't look like you're planning on selling it though but good luck with the rest of your project!
    Quote Originally Posted by DREAD13 View Post
    Shocking to see the arches in that state!!
    Hey guys good to hear from you both. Yeh was pissed off about arches, but that's life, just get on with it you know. It isn't a rusty car generally, also it's not a rust-free one, somewhere in the middle I guess.

Yeh - no plans to sell I am afraid, I mean there are nicer cars out there, but this one has so much history with us that I couldnt really let it go for anything. Plus - I'm really enjoying the new build.

OK exciting day - finished off the paint on the front end (excluding bonnet which is going to be replaced by carbon as soon as guy on SXOC responds hopefully).

Paint looks good. At the end of the day it was a £30 job including masking tape and J cloths so can't complain. As an experiment I sanded the passenger side like you are supposed to, but didn't sand the bumper of driver's side, as I didn't believe that it would make any difference. As it turns out... it makes a HUGE different lol. Sanded one looks fab. At some point I'll go back and sand front bumper and driver's wing and re-pollish, but it'll do for now. Some pics: