Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Tokyo_black's 180SX becoming EMPEROR TUNING's(Jont) Sil80 Project

Rides
    Did two things today:

1) as per this thread - http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...-timing-retard I have been having trouble with what we believe is fake knock signals/warnings being generated, and it's been causing all sorts of problems. So by-passed sensor with a 560KOhm resistor. Took car for a drive and no signs of knock warnings now which is fab. So should be able to get on with the business of mapping the car now.

2) Noticed strong smell of petrol from cold side of engine today. May be the replacement fuel pipes from earlier in this thread. Possibly I used some un-suitable pipes. So I have ordered some new fuel pipe from Ebay and I'll replace them again and hopefully that will sovle the issue.

Rides
    OK over the last few days I have been fixing some errors in the fuel system including a fuel pump that was down on volts.

With that all fixed I concluded the mapping of the engine.

Here are my final maps, I went for a fairly conservative set up:

Rides
    OK today:

Replaced gearbox mount with uprated one from Apex. As you can see the OE one is completely cracked through:

Also as the diff on the car is not the OE one, it is longer than the OE diff and has pushed the prop into the gearbox by 15mm, and stretched the centre bearing out of shape. So I adjusted the centre bearing bracket so it sits 15mm forther forward to accomodate this. You can see the mounting bolts out of centre:

Rides
    Next I want to fit new engine mounts. But I ca't get the upper nuts undone, they are too tight and I can't get and leverage on them lol. Doh.

Rides
    New engine mounts fitted today. Took bloody ages. Just about everything went wrong

Car vibrates like hell now, I kind of like it. Free massage!

When changine mounts, noticed that the turbo oil return pipe was shot. Replaced with samco as temporary option.

Rides
    Not sure that white stuff at bottom of turbine is.

Rides
    I'll be fitting solid mounts to my CA soon. Not looking forward to it now lol but I've bought them so I will put up with them.

Is the white stuff not just paint?

Rides
    Heya. Well - I made a real meal of it I must admit, I'm sure you will havea better time than I did. Good luck with yours.

Regards the white gunk, the consensus seems to be that it is an old water leak that's left its mark when it evaporated. Like limescale in a kettle. So gunna ignore it. Maybe clean it at some point.

OK today finished off the heat wrapping of the engine bay. Hot charge pipe now wrapped.

Took car for a proper drive 30 miles down to Hitchin yesterday to see bro, car was faultless, really impressed. Performance was so good all round. These little SX's really punch above their weight don't they!

OK tomorrow an assortment of spigot rings will arrive, so that should get the wheels spinning better. Also rear subframe locking collars will arrive, hopefuly that will deal with my worn out erear bushes, and wayward rear subframe movement

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I'll be fitting solid mounts to my CA soon. Not looking forward to it now lol but I've bought them so I will put up with them.

Is the white stuff not just paint?
    I've got solid mounts on my 180sx, its pretty horrible if i'm honest mate.

Rides
    It's a bit shaky

Waiting for some more parts to arrive, so getting on with shedding some weight from the engine bay. Also fuse box re-located down on the chassis rail. I looks kind of smart withough the fusebox there:

Rides
    OK today rear subframe locking collars fitted. Annoyingly the bolts snapped that hold the boomerang stays on. So now running without the stays. Not sure how much of a problem this will be...

Rides
    Hey hey.

Ok today I have been setting up my det cans. Turned into a real mare in the end. Found it hard to pick up noise from the engine. I think a mixture of; quiet engine/new engine mounts/dodgy cans all played a part.

Tomorrow I am going to the rolling road in Wimpole, Cambs to do a power test to ensure that everything is working ok.

It's a HKS2530 running slightly shy of 18Psi. It's my own map as shown above. It's a conservative map, with emphasis on avoiding det at all costs, as the car will hopefully be used for track days in high ambient temps.

I would think that it would be equivalent of Horsham's stage 2 SR20 map, so I assume the engine will generate about 280Bhp at the engine. So we'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

Quite excited

Rides
    Myself and my bros went to the rolling road today in Wimpole, Cambs:

Rides
    Well that dyno session translates from 392hp to approx 300 engine hp if you convert down from 5th gear to 4th gear. The machine was set for 5th gear. The car was in 4th gear.

So 300 engine hp sounds about right for the current car set up.

Rides
    Just updating the thread. Just had to replace the steering rack gaiters today, as old ones have cracked:

The rack seals appear to be leaking. I'm not convinced that it's bad enough to justify doing anything about it at the mo:

Lovely new gaiters:

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jont View Post
    OK today rear subframe locking collars fitted. Annoyingly the bolts snapped that hold the boomerang stays on. So now running without the stays. Not sure how much of a problem this will be..
    two years late I know, those boomerangs don't really do anything that I can see, s body rear sub frames are really well mounted and there are alot of overlapping plates and seams all around that are aligned to distribute longitudinal and lateral forces, I have not bothered rebuilding mine into my car, not after seeing how they are built inside.

***DISCLAIMER - DONT cut them out because I said so, do some research, get a couple of degrees, and 12 years experience in aircraft engineering like I did before making your decision to remove or keep your boomerangs ***

Rides
    I have no degree in Engineering bu binned mine anyway as the poly bushes are so much stiffer than standard.
    Car still looks good.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ianlea73 View Post
    I have no degree in Engineering bu binned mine anyway as the poly bushes are so much stiffer than standard.
    Car still looks good.
    yes!

Rides
    test
    Last edited by jont; 16-06-2017 at 13:22.

Rides
    Hey guys! Does anyone know how to add pictures from imgur please? I can't get the pics to display...