Thread: can't throw in any gear anymore.

Rides

can't throw in any gear anymore.

as from yesterday i can't throw any gear in. after i chalked the engine in after a majour rebuild i struggled to get car in gears after a couple of minutes of driving. i thought it would have been down to airlock in the system and simple bleed woud sort it. it did get better but not brilliant for a couple of days untill yesterday managed to drop a mate over for a coupple of miles and when i came to a stop i couldnt engage any gear. i checked if the hydro works, and the slave cylider expands when clutch is pressed in. me and my māte towed it home. today morning i re-bled it again and still no luck. how much should the slave cyl expand in mm lets say, anyone could let me know by any chance? i have an os giken twin plate and a proper bearing carrier to suit it. i'll try to pull the arm in the box all the way back to see if i can actually throw a gear in.

Rides
    Can you select all gears with the engine off?

If so I would say its clutch related. If not i would suggest the gearbox is faulty.

If clutch how does the pedal feel? The spring fell out my clutch the other day and I couldnt select gears with the engine running and the pedal had no feel till the last few cm's

Rides
    yes i can select gears with engine off. i hoped it could be just the clutch hydro but that seems to work fine although i'll check if pulling the release arm all the way back helps. probably not but it's worth to find out before pulling gbox out.pedal feels alright as before it just doesn't seem to be pushing the clutch throw out far enough..maybe??failing that i'm thinking that the pivot ball failed or arm's bent etc.
    Last edited by erykkrwawy; 03-04-2014 at 20:43.

Rides
    Bent arm??? Had similar problems a while back.

Rides
    what was the outcome?

Rides
    right, problem doesn't lay in the hydrolics as i pulled the release fork to the limit with a ratchet strap and tried to roll the car back and forth in 1 gear and reverse and that didn't work. the fork pivot ball seems in one piece too (seen through the hole for the fork) I don't think fork has an excessive play neither. what could have happened then???

Rides
    I guess you'll have to remove the box and have a look. Any issues with the clutch pedal when the car was warmed up? Squeaking or become hard to press? If so those were my symptoms before the spring broke out the clutch disc and I never drove the car hard to warent it breaking

Rides
    the pedal felt alright, a bit hard on foot but that's due to twin plate clutch so i wasn't alerted. when the car warmed up shifting gears became harder but i thought i was caused by the air bubbles locked in the line, shifting improved after i bled the system. i'm really puzzled as it broke down without warning. gboxes are a mistery for me but after searching for clues on the internet i've come accross issues with gbox syncronization. it's rather unlikely as i can't crank the engine when gear is engaged as it moves forwawrds in 1gear. would it be worth to try clutchless shift?

Rides
    As you're selecting gears with the engine off, IMO it means the issue does not lie with the box. As when you clutch in and release the input shaft the box would be working as if the engine was off as nothing would be rotating. Problems with the clutch

Rides
    yeah all signs in the sky indicate clutch side of the issue. gbox removal is a must. will post up all my findings later on

Rides
    i've taken the gearbox out and discovered that the part of the box cover (the one that bearing carrier slides on) has snapped off. i'm not too sure how it affected operation of the clutch but this seems to be a cause. now can i get the cover on it's own or i do need another box?