Thread: Car Respray

Rides

Car Respray

Hey guys,

Anyone know of anywhere good and cheap for a respray?

cheers all,

R

Rides
    Get it wrapped its cheaper if you want to keep the cost down !!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by richybeno View Post
    good and cheap for a respray?
    With bodywork these 2 words are polar opposites
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    my mate works for bmw and he will do me an amazing respray and at mates rates !!! but i cant afford over a grand and a half !!
    some companies will come out to you set up a tent over your car and do a blow over for 800 ! but its only a blow over in a standard colour
    if you want a full spray inc. door shuts boot shut ect then and a custom colour the you may want to set a side two G's easy !!

Rides
    as i said befor !! get it wrapped

Rides
    A good wrap will be as much as a cheap respray. A cheap wrap will almost invariably look terrible. With bodywork, thee's very rarely a cheap solution.

Rides
    Hey mate, speak to nick Bolton, he's got his own place and ask him to give you a quote, he's good at what he does. 07831 157209

In Banbury as well

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    With bodywork these 2 words are polar opposites
    A dichotomy, one might say

Rides
    sweet cheers all.

I dont think wrapping is for me, looks cheap and if I'm going to pay the money for a good wrap, i may aswell get it sprayed.

R

Rides
    Good wrap or cheap respray hmm ..

Rides
    It depends on what you consider cheap really. With a respray you're not only paying for paint & materials, and the painter's skill and time, but the hours of prep work beforehand just getting the car ready to paint. This involves sanding every single surface, nook, and cranny, removing any imperfections & contaminants, and filling/more sanding if needed. Not to mention stripping everything off the car, including glass, and meticulously masking off anything that doesn't come off. You could easily spend a few hours prepping a bonnet alone, for example.

You can bring the cost down a tad if you do a lot of prep yourself, ie stripping the car, and sanding everything back, an delivering essentially a bare shell to the painters. But if you want that all done for you, I'm afraid you're going to have to fork out, if you want it done properly.

Oh, and a good vinyl wrap will always look better than a cheap respray. With the added bonus of being able to remove it if you change your mind. A respray is a touch more permanent.

Rides
    sounds like you need the rat look!

Rides
    Have you seen this stuff?
    http://www.plastidip.co.uk/

Goes from this:

To this:

By doing this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKC4ad2L_-M

Rides
    I've used the plastidip not overly impressed with it easy enough to get on but a complete ball ache if you need to remove or make a mistake

Rides
    I'm toying with the idea of trying plastidip sometime soon. I thought its supposed to be fairly easy to remove if you decide you don't like it?
    bovvered?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    It depends on what you consider cheap really. With a respray you're not only paying for paint & materials, and the painter's skill and time, but the hours of prep work beforehand just getting the car ready to paint. This involves sanding every single surface, nook, and cranny, removing any imperfections & contaminants, and filling/more sanding if needed. Not to mention stripping everything off the car, including glass, and meticulously masking off anything that doesn't come off. You could easily spend a few hours prepping a bonnet alone, for example.

You can bring the cost down a tad if you do a lot of prep yourself, ie stripping the car, and sanding everything back, an delivering essentially a bare shell to the painters. But if you want that all done for you, I'm afraid you're going to have to fork out, if you want it done properly.

Oh, and a good vinyl wrap will always look better than a cheap respray. With the added bonus of being able to remove it if you change your mind. A respray is a touch more permanent.
    Most painters (quite rightly) don't like other people to do the prep. The prep has such a huge influence on the finished result.

Rides
    That's true. Worth having a chat to them beforehand though, and seeing if you can strike a deal.