Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My quad copter build

Rides
    Been flying my little FPV Hubsan around my house...

This thread is dangerous, I'm starting to think about something bigger to fly around the peaks.

Good luck with your maiden flight!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Sendout View Post
    I was thinking about hanging it from a tree and using it for target practice. I really wouldnt want to be anywhere near one once its punctured

Don't believe the hype , Lipo fires aren't that bad

We've tried allsorts with puffed lipo's including stabbing shooting and dousing in petrol then running over them with £1k+ r/c cars and all we ever got was a very intense but localised smoky burn

Rides

She just left the ground for the first time, in my lounge
    After a few tweaks she is so stable it is unreal. The difference between this and flying a heli huge, I cant quite believe how easy it is to control in comparison (probably the kiss of death)

Right, I'm off to find a field
    The new flight controllers (when correctly set up) make flying quads soooo soooo easy compared to a heli that they are almost boring

Rides
    To be honest Chris, Im glad its really easy to fly. My plan is to go FPV so the easier it is to fly the more brain cells I can dedicate to finding decent views of things

Rides
    To be honest Chris, Im glad its really easy to fly. My plan is to go FPV so the easier it is to fly the more brain cells I can dedicate to finding decent views of things
    I did say almost ! I'm tempted to launch a heli today but without a mentor I won't bother Spent in haste and regretted since

What's news on your's Dave ?

Rides
    Mine is on hold for now Chris, as are a lot of things in my life at the moment.
    My Father has been diagnosed with bowel cancer so he comes first and toys come second.
    With the 'fun' im having with my 200 at the moment, having two jobs and now helping out a lot more for my parents, the quad has ended up just behind the back burner for now

I did pop into my local model shop the other day though and bought some carbon fibre strip to make a camera mount for it

Rides
    Finally had a bit of time to myself today so did a few bits on the car and a few bits on the quad

Made up a camera mount, the P clips are a bit 'industrial' but will be swapped for some lighter plastic ones when I can find some
    Also mounted the video transmitter, not wired it up yet as Ive run out of time.

2014-06-22_15-43-01_639 (Small).jpg

I have also made a start on her 'home' as I was getting fed up with 'stuff' everywhere
    2014-06-22_15-46-57_619 (Small).jpg

Got a few bits to do now but might have enough time to take her out later this evening

Just noticed a big greasy fingerprint on my camera lens, sorry about the crap pics

Rides
    I managed to find enough time to build the FPV wiring harness last night so now the quad is complete and ready for FPV flight!

I just need to finish off the 'ground station' and Im ready to go

Ive had a few TPV flights with her now so Im quite used to how she handles. I have the feeling FPV is going to change that though!

Rides
    Update needed Dave !

Rides
    Ah, Id forgotten about this thread!
    Well, I really have got the bug now, my first FPV flight just blew me away. The buzz is just something else

Ive flown the one in this thread quite a bit now and have built a 250 racer too. I wasn't happy with it so stripped it and am currently re-building. Ive also got a good friend of mine into it so have been assisting in his builds. Im even having a go at starting a little business selling bits to fund my hobby.

This is my 250 as it is, it needs quite a bit to finish but its fully custom and will end up as a bit of a 'show piece' for my company
    IMAG0040 (Small).jpg

Rides
    Im even having a go at starting a little business selling bits to fund my hobby.
    My Nephew has a little business. That's all it ever can be. It's below the VAT threshold. If he exceeds the VAT threshold all the profit will go in VAT and even then he will be under cut by others that don't pay VAT.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    My Nephew has a little business. That's all it ever can be. It's below the VAT threshold. If he exceeds the VAT threshold all the profit will go in VAT and even then he will be under cut by others that don't pay VAT.
    Thats pretty much where I am now.
    Its to help fund my hobby more than anything. I certainly dont expect to be quitting my full time job any time soon

Rides
    I've caught the bug too , I originally wanted a naked quad like an F450 but a saturday afternoon of stella artois and ebay meant I won a phantom with 1 second to go Sunday was just as bad so I've got a gopro aswell

The next bit I need is the fpv gear , What kit are you using and how do you rate it ?

Rides
    For my 550 I use a mobius action cam for flight and for recording. They have a very slight (around .2sec) lag which bothers some people but I dont find it a problem. I use Boscam VTX and VRX and some Cinemizer goggles I got cheap on ebay. I will get some Fatshark goggles eventually as they are the absolute danglies but for now my system works very well.

For the 250 I will be using a Sony CCD and I might nail a Mobius to it for recording but trying to keep weight to a minimum so well see. I will also be using a Boscam VTX on this one (a smaller one) so it will couple with the rest of my gear.

This is the ground station I made.
    IMAG0012 (Small).jpg

And this is me flying FPV a couple of weekends ago with my mate Little Kev.
    REC_0022.MOV_snapshot_01.39_[2014.12.06_19.26.42].jpg

Rides
    Some nice bits there. Still no closer myself as a kitchen had gotten in the way

Where did you get your cases? Mine is living in a cupboard collecting dust atm

Rides
    The big case I bought on Ebay, its a gorilla case for DJ equipment but was the exact size I needed.
    The smaller case I got from B&Q. It contained some crap drill bits which went in the bin but it was the exact size I needed

I don't quite understand how a kitchen can be in your way, surely it has doors so you can simply walk through it?
    Anyway, get on with it, you will love it

Rides
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-LILLIPUT...item3a9e74fc8d , What are your thoughts on this setup ?

Rides
    I'm halfway through renewing our kitchen so have literally zero time and money to finish it.

I'm aiming to have it finished by March.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    I'm looking into getting a quadcopter. Where is the best place to start?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-LILLIPUT...item3a9e74fc8d , What are your thoughts on this setup ?
    It uses the same VTX that I use and Ive had no issues with it what so ever.
    I'm not familiar with the screen but I know a lot of people use them for FPV and for carputers. Ive never heard anything bad about them. It mentions that it doesn't 'blue screen' which is a definite plus. Other than that it looks like a good setup for the money. I take it you don't want to go down the goggles route then? I know a few people that don't get on with them and prefer a screen but I find them much more immersive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosky View Post
    I'm looking into getting a quadcopter. Where is the best place to start?
    Hobbyking
    Are you looking at building one or buying one ready to fly?
    Also, whats your budget?