Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heres one for you - 330d random cutting out fault.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides

Heres one for you - 330d random cutting out fault.

OK, so car is a 55 plate 330d manual, my mate has had it for about 2 years without major problems.

Hes had it recently though where sitting in traffic when car was warm it would just cut out randomly but start first time again and be fine for rest of the journey.

Last couple of times have been under heavy acceleration though, one 2-3rd, one in 6th gear. Engine just cuts and stops, PAS etc. goes away, but then it starts first time on key again and seem to be fine.

Been into a local garage and they found no fault codes but have suggested it could be the glowplugs initially and then the crap in the fuel tank , anyone got any sensible suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Gonna be a loose connection aint it? battery is in the boot so i would work back from there checking the wires.
    There is a power loom connection in the engine bay as well so best look at that plus all the connections for the multitude of useless sensors and other shite it uses.

I still have an problem with mine loosing power, i swapped the electronic actuator and did loads of other things to no avail. BMW forums are next to useless.

Rides
    Does it run badly before it does it cuts out, or does it just die suddenly? It has to be cutting the fuelling, so it could be a dodgy rail pressure sensor or something, but its strange that it would just cut out all at once. Possibly a camshaft or crank position sensor?

Rides
    Just dies suddenly, fuel was my thought so either a tired pump or pressure sensor but as I said, nothing on the ODB.
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Does all the electrics cut out (stereo/lights ect)..

I aint impressed with the electronics on these things, to much reliance on "codes" , if it doesnt throw up a number no bugger has a clue.

Rides
    http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...hints_and_tips give these a ring you have to keep ringing until they answer but know there stuff

Rides
    What about Immobiliser ? Does it have a chip in the Key ?

I had a very similar problem with a key chip occasionally not being recognised by the system and would just switch off the car for no reason . Had a new key and reprogram and all was good since

Rides
    fuel filter clean?

fuel lines no pin holes air getting into the system/restricted flow?

Bad lift pump(don't know what system BMW use?

Otherwise time you get your snap on code reader plugged in with data logging on till it starts acting up.
    Last edited by -ghost-; 01-04-2014 at 21:24.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Just dies suddenly, fuel was my thought so either a tired pump or pressure sensor but as I said, nothing on the ODB.
    Did you get it read on a proper BMW reader??

Alot of newer cars have codes generic equipment doesn't understand, and if it doesn't understand it, it doesn't show it as a problem

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by baker_001 View Post
    Possibly a camshaft or crank position sensor?
    I appreciate it's a totally different car, that runs on different fuel, in a completely different way, but the symptoms you've described Doc are EXACTLY the same as those I experienced with a duff cam position sensor on my other half's MX5. Random cutting out, sometimes refused to start as well, next minute would work fine.

Rides
    I would take it to a BMW Indy, most general garages dont have a clue these days and are just there to service cars and fix obvious mechanical faults.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    My buddy is away from BMW today. Hes back next week. If you still have the problem.

Going to have to get his mobile number as all my numbers went with the phone.

Rides
    A colleague has just had issues with his 330D not starting. It's throwing a fault code for the 'intelligent battery sensor' and it appears to be quite a common fault, so is worth a look.

Rides
    Is it the E46 or E90 3 series? The E46 had issues with pre supply pumps (located next to the fuel filter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    You still need help?

Rides
    Fuel filter or lift pump, we see it a lot

Rides
    Maybe a faulty fuel injector. I had a mondeo that was doing the same, would cut out under heavy acceleration. If I turned the ignition off and back on again it would start no probs. I done a leak off test on the injectors and 2 failed. Replaced the 2 faulty ones and problem was solved.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M200sex View Post
    Fuel filter or lift pump, we see it a lot
    Lift pump passenger floor. mine did same.
    Got spare pump if you want to borrow to rule it out?

Rides
    Forgot about this as hes been off work - hes back tomorrow, Ill have a chat then but lift pump sounds very possible to me, certainly makes more sense than glowplugs