Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 180sx Type X S13 FAP

Rides

180sx Type X S13 FAP

Hey everyone, following on from this thread: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...-180sx-type-x-)

Bought my 180sx from Belfast and drove it home the same day, what a day that was! 390 faultless miles later and it was home on my drive

Anyway i haven't for anything in the region of a decent update for you guys but gotta start the project thread somewhere lol.

I gave it its first decent wash under my ownership and removed a couple of stickers i didn't want.

Before wash and sticker removal:

After using the 2 bucket method, autobrite snow foam, baneblade shampoo, hellshine eliminator and abyss spray sealer:

Last weekend i went to pick up a set of SSR professor's, need a decent refurb and tyres to fit my arches but i'll get them on before japfest

i fitted steering bush to replace the knackered old one, OMG it makes such a difference, geo still feels all over the place at the front tho so i popped up to my mate to see what was up and the front left had a lot of toe out so we brought that back into line and its sorted!, couldn't resist a quick snap

Came home and gave the car another clean using same products as above but added a layer of cherry glaze before the abyss spray this time

And a random pic from my bedroom window lol:

Opinions and comments welcome, got some decent plans for this so stay tuned!

Rides
    Gorgeous car! will look perfect when you get the wheels on

Rides
    Thats nice. Looks pretty clean as well.

Rides
    beautiful car funny, how they move across the pond ha.
    the wash is amazing, your product choice clearly is excellent. the finish is pretty good imo
    cant wait to see the wheels on <3
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
    beautiful car funny, how they move across the pond ha.
    the wash is amazing, your product choice clearly is excellent. the finish is pretty good imo
    cant wait to see the wheels on <3
    Thanks for the kind words. I actually spent a couple of months looking for one to import from Japan. My first choice was an import red type X, but this popped up for sale i thought the money saving vs the wait for an import vs the mods on it was worth buying. I'm glad i did!

The paintwork could do with a slight correction in some areas, but generally has came up pretty well, but no means am i a good detailer lol.

Being a 1998 i have bought a private reg for it, can anyone guess what i've bought

Rides
    Fitted a new alternator belt today, old one was frayed and almost snapped! Wish i had googled the right way to do it as i just went at it without researching and ended up spending a couple of hours head scratching lol, got there in the end tho.

Gotta sort out a hot idle problem i have, does anyone have an idea where i should look first?

Rides
    haha yeah google is your friend usually ha. those belts can be a puzzle sometimes, its funny.
    hmmm put up a thread in the tech section, you'll get an answer for sure
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    When its warmed up I.E oil temp is over 60 deg and water is around 80 deg when i'm coming to a junction or roundabout and i dip the clutch the revs dip to almost stall (about 500rpm) and when idling it will sit at about 1100/1250 and then dip to 500 and back up and down again, quite lumpy. Its fine when cold and warming up, and it idles lovely until the temps are when i said above.

Rides
    I had a similar issue with my Type X. I'd pull out the coil packs first and check for cracks. The coil inside expands when heated and can crack the casing, causing it to behave funkily. If they all look good, I'd be looking at timing next. Needs to be set on the engine to match the ECU.

Also, what fuel are you using? Mine ran like an absolute pig on anything other than E5 (5% ethanol) so about 99 Ron.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I had a similar issue with my Type X. I'd pull out the coil packs first and check for cracks. The coil inside expands when heated and can crack the casing, causing it to behave funkily. If they all look good, I'd be looking at timing next. Needs to be set on the engine to match the ECU.

Also, what fuel are you using? Mine ran like an absolute pig on anything other than E5 (5% ethanol) so about 99 Ron.
    Thanks for that mate, as far as i'm aware the coilpacks are only a few months old as the previous owner replaced the coilpacks, but i will check! I'm currently running the car on 99ron but it was mapped on 97 in NI, so do you think it could be somethings thats easily solved once i get the car mapped again to the 99ron if the coilpacks look ok?

Rides
    If its been mapped for 97, and you're running 99, it shouldn't really cause an issue. Mine was mapped for Jap fuel, which is over 100, hence why she didn't like the 97 stuff.

I seem to remember that the non vvt engine runs on two separate electrical cycles, one when cold, and then switches to the other when warm. If it's been mapped, check all the connections in the ecu are properly soldered etc.

How is it when driving? Any hesitation on boost, or misfires at all?

Rides
    Hi mate found your thread after you posted yesterday, nice car bud looks very clean!! The idle problem you have will more than likely be the idle control valve. My ps13 did exactly the same, I got a used one from Julian @ garage d as someone had trashed the adjustment screw on the original. Carb cleaned the used one that turned up just to be sure, bolted on and sorted. :-)

Rides
    It drives absolutely spot on, it's literally a pleasure to drive and I have to stop myself from driving it all the time otherwise I'll be skint lol!

Where am I looking for the idle control valve? Not used to these sr20's I learnt my trade on the z20let turbo Astras lol

Rides
    Stunning looking car mate! can't wait to see it with the wheels on!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Bad news is you have to take the inlet off to get to it on the redtop I'm afraid. You will have to pop round one night mate and I'll show you. The idle won't cause any issues for today though so get out there and got those very sexual rims on ha ha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dubs View Post
    Bad news is you have to take the inlet off to get to it on the redtop I'm afraid. You will have to pop round one night mate and I'll show you. The idle won't cause any issues for today though so get out there and got those very sexual rims on ha ha

Haha the rims need to be split and polished and sealed before i fit them on, i also need to fit new studs as the previous owner cut the studs to fit hubcentric wheel spacers which will make the ET too strong for the stock arches so they need to go!

Rides
    stunning mate, my favourite model, in my favourite colour.

Rides
    Looking good adam black really is one of the best colours. Going to look sweet once its on the other wheels

Rides
    Seriously tidy looking Type X

Wheel choice approved

Rides
    Thanks

The professors are going in next week for refurb and some new rubber, and i need to find some free time to fit all the parts i've bought!