Thread: Most economic way for cash whilst in Thailand

Rides

Most economic way for cash whilst in Thailand

Hello there.

Recently booked flights only for nearly 4 weeks in Thailand, Area manager agreed as I've been working hard apparently So far I've found out from looking around that:
    - ATMs will charge each time except one type of Japanese one, problem being finding them or my location being accessible to them
    - If I change it up here Ill be mugged for exchange rate, and once I get there with the large sums on my persons
    - If I change it up whilst there in the airport to avoid the exchange rate here Ill also be mugged for all of my money at some point

I was just planning on taking out small lumps every other day or so but I'm going for nearly a month so going to be withdrawing a lot of money, especially as I'm travelling will need to keep paying different hotels all over the place.

I was thinking of any other solutions but can't I need your help! I hoped there was some sort of travel card I could use to pay for stuff there and withdraw for free. I don't like the idea of carrying like £1500 worth around or leaving it in hotels/hangover style dumps.

Thank you

Rides
    I thought a few banks done these sort of 'Travel Card' plans...

When I last went abroad, the travel agents tried pushing it down our throats, might be worth popping in to check what plans they have?

Rides
    double post
    Last edited by Prior; 19-03-2014 at 13:30.

Rides
    I used a FairFX cash card and Halifax Credit card when I was abroad. Halifax doesnt charge for purchases and the FairFX only charges £1.50 to withdraw. The Caxton card doesnt charge you to withdraw but you get a better exchange rate with FairFX.

Even if you get charged to take money out of an ATM, at that price its only £23 over the month if you take out cash every other day. Worth it for the security of not carrying large amounts of cash on you.

Rides
    Hide the cash on the plane if you fly via Kuala lumpar

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Rides
    The cash is probably the least of his worries if he's flying via Malaysia

Rides
    We recently found the travel money card from the post office to be the best option as they have good exchange rates and can be used as a credit card wherever you can use Mastercard

Rides
    Just take it out the bank.

It worked out about a tenner each time i took out 300 quid ~15000 batt.

It saves you worrying about loosing the money etc its worth the tenner in that respect.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    I used a FairFX cash card and Halifax Credit card when I was abroad. Halifax doesnt charge for purchases and the FairFX only charges £1.50 to withdraw. The Caxton card doesnt charge you to withdraw but you get a better exchange rate with FairFX.

Even if you get charged to take money out of an ATM, at that price its only £23 over the month if you take out cash every other day. Worth it for the security of not carrying large amounts of cash on you.
    That would work out well, Ill have a look at the FairFX cars thanks dude

Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Hide the cash on the plane if you fly via Kuala lumpar
    Im flying with Quatar

Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    The cash is probably the least of his worries if he's flying via Malaysia
    Haha, paid extra for no stop overs

Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    We recently found the travel money card from the post office to be the best option as they have good exchange rates and can be used as a credit card wherever you can use Mastercard
    Will also look into that, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Joe1989 View Post
    Just take it out the bank.

It worked out about a tenner each time i took out 300 quid ~15000 batt.

It saves you worrying about loosing the money etc its worth the tenner in that respect.
    Problem with that is if I withdraw 150 a time which is likely to be the case due to travelling a lot, I'm projecting spending £1500 whilst out there

Rides
    I did quite a bit of research on pre-loaded cards before I went travelling as I needed one that would work in New Zealand, Oz and China. To be honest I was front loaded with all the companies and conditions, pros and cons etc.

The bottom line between the big two, and best, companies which are FairFX and Caxton was that there was a fag papers difference between them. Especially for a small amount of money like the £2k I had. I went for the FairFX as although they charged to withdraw they gave a better exchange rate (mastercard) didnt charge to take the card out (Caxton wanted a tenner) and the cost to call customer services from abroad was about 1/3rd the cost of Caxton.

Most of the other cards such as Thomas Cook, STA travel, Post Office etc gave atrocious exchange rates and charges.

Rides
    Sounds like you did mate, just had a look through them both now and like the sound of the FairFX card. Think Ill give them a call when I get a day off and see what the crack is to be honest Thanks for the advice mate, Im a bit uneducated and useless when things like this come across!

Yea I've heard to avoid such businesses due to said atrocious rates!

Thanks again mate

Rides
    Probably not a good idea to take large bundles of cash into Thailand. They might then wonder what else you're carrying lol

Rides
    I recently flew to Phuket with Qatar Airways - its a long old flight and the cabin crew are not always especially free and easy with the drinks trolley. doing LHR-DOH on a dreamliner wasn't too bad though.
    GMasterT Heavy Industries!for all your Widget needs

Back to Jap with Mk2 Aristo & Nissan Elgrand

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Probably not a good idea to take large bundles of cash into Thailand. They might then wonder what else you're carrying lol

Lol not going to mate, going to have the card and withdraw amounts as I go. Wouldn't be mad enough to carry around £1500 worth in cash

Quote Originally Posted by madcowman View Post
    I recently flew to Phuket with Qatar Airways - its a long old flight and the cabin crew are not always especially free and easy with the drinks trolley. doing LHR-DOH on a dreamliner wasn't too bad though.
    Yea I'm going with Qatar…I think can't quite remember its been a few weeks since I booked! Direct flight to Bangkok International

Rides
    I drew out 10000bahts (about £190) last night and it cost 180baht to do it from a random atm on the street. So about £3.50 charge for the transaction.
    Heathrow change shops were 47bahts - £1. Kula lumpa 51bahts - £1. It's so cheap out here that I am not too fussed about a few quid charge.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk