Thread: oil cooler is ice cold....

Rides

oil cooler is ice cold....

hi folks. after fitting a mocal oil cooler and accusump + 1 way valve (after oil cooler) the cooler stays ice cold. i'm using a thermostatic sandwich plate. i'm sure there is a fair few people using this setup either with or without accusump and does your cooler stay cold or does it warm up a little. i'm confused a bit because i had this particular cooler installed once before not for long though and i remember it warming up a little.perhaps i don't understand how it all happens maybe 1 way valve makes he difference i'd like to mention that all connections are ok and 1wv seems to flow too. clueless

Rides
    Have you got the 1wv the right way round ?

What oil temps are you seeing on your gauge ?
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    yes it's right way round and seems to be flowing as well. temp sensor sits in the baffled oil pan so temps show rather low on gauge but it's normal for this place. the thing is i had this cooler before and it did get warm qiute qiuckly and now it doesn't at all ,i did a few miles and it got me worried i did check everything again and again and all is in it's place. i did use a different oil grade then now i'm using 10w60.

Rides
    Massive air lock in the cooler? How have you got it mounted?

Rides
    on it's side. can it actually happen? it's not a closed circuit.

Rides
    right if there was an airlock in the cooler it's gone now, i've checked it and the cooer is full of oil. still stays cold but i must be due to the thermostatic sandwich plate, it must be some what preventing the oil circulation in the cooler's lines until it's fully engaged. if i'm right i'd be concerned about cold oil entering the engine?!

Rides
    if its a mocal sandwich plate they don't work how people think, the oil path through the cooler is always open and all the thermostat does is let a little bit of oil by pass the cooler straight to the filter then if it gets hot it just closes off this little bypass, I have 1 and I don't think there would be much difference just using a none thermo plate... as for my cooler it gets just as hot as the engine really, cant really touch it once its up to temp. I currently have it covered as the oil wasn't getting to temp quick enough and will probs just uncover it on track.
    Is the accusump T'd into 1 of the cooler lines?

Rides
    that's exactly what i'm thinking. what's wrong with my setup then??? the accusump is connected to the return pipe from the cooler with 1 way valve before accusump t piece.

Rides
    1 way valve defo the right way round? Can you bypass it and try it or even give the engine a crank with the hose off and just see which end the oil comes out of. If the oil cooler is on its side then the return needs to be at the top, opposite of how the water radiator is connected

Rides
    i checked it and re-checked it's facing the correct way and all lines are pressurized when engine is running. i will be removing the valve and see if it makes any difference. there is another thing though, i installed a remote oil pressure adapter and my gauge doesn't go above 50 psi when engine is hot but the gauge on the accusump is showing strong pressure. is my sensor bollocksed? it was fine before oil cooler and sump, or is it remote adapters fault?

Rides
    remote as in you has like a skinny bit of line from the take off to where the gauge sensor is? Is it an expensive gauge? I've got a cheap crap gauge and it reads way too high to the point that it max's out once the pressure is too high and the needle just drops to 0. Oil cooler should still warm up with the oil though

Rides
    i think you may have a mechanical gauge mine is electrical with braided extension line that's connected to oil filter block, it's quite thin an may be restrictive enough to drop pressure at higher rpm (when oil is hot) . does anybody know if they need to be bled?

Rides
    it is electrical, the sensor is in a sandwich plate by the filter, just a shitty £20er

Rides
    50psi when hot is about right
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    50psi when hot is about right
    20 psi idle to 50psi 5000 rpm is that right?

Rides
    Sorry not to thread hijack, but just like you my oil cooler (admittedly previous owner fitted it)has never gotten hot and stays cold just like you describe. Something I've assumed as being normal, as my oil temps get up to 80-90 degrees C just fine too? Interested in your outcome..

Out of curiosity how is your oil filter / oil cooler fitted? (Don't suppose you've relocated it have you? - I ask because my unipart oil filter is connected through an oil relocation kit after the oil cooler, and that does not get hot despite oil temps rising normally (in saying that a previous different branded oil filter would get as hot as the engine on the same setup).

Rides
    i only have the mocal sandwich plate for the cooler i was never particularly botherd with the restricted acces to to the filter. i presume you're also using the thermostatic sandwich. i've read and people have said that despite the built in thermostat oil should circulate around the cooler as well. so i'll be removing the 1wv to see if helps.

Rides
    right..i removed the 1wv and everything is back to normal, oil circulates in the cooler and it gets hot now.