Thread: Brake upgrades that fit under standard 16" wheels

Rides

Brake upgrades that fit under standard 16" wheels

What's the biggest brake setup you can use under the standard s14a 16" alloys? I normally run 18's but would like to still be able to use 16's when skidding

Rides
    a 310 or 315 kit should fit with spacers, wheel weights moved and depending on which type of inner side design the standard wheels are.

Rides
    Got a 315 kit on the front and tried fitting my standard 16s yesterday and they didn't fit, with 10mm spacers they didn't fit either

Rides
    Bawls. What size are they as standard?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyTits View Post
    Bawls. What size are they as standard?

S14 disks are 280mm x 30mm standard with iron 4 pots

The R33 Skyline GTST disks fit, these are 297mm with aluminium 4 pots up front and 2 pot rears. But not sure how valuable the additional braking benefit on the fronts will be over the stock s14 calipers / disk setup (not taking into account the extra benefits of the rear skyline setup).

(I run S14 16' inch wheels on my S13 with R33GTST rear disks/calipers and s14 front setup just fine)
    Last edited by nas241; 25-03-2014 at 14:42.

Rides
    Surely you're only running 16's on the back anyway?

Rides
    Wouldn't it look a bit odd with 16's on the back and 18's on the front? If that's what most of you guys do then i'll probably have to do that.

Ideally i'd like a nice brake setup on the front to fill 18" wheels better, and something bigger on the back (similar size to 350z rears, but heard they're a pain to fit)

Rides
    Ok, scrapped the idea of trying to run the 16's in favour of some better (bigger) brakes.

I think i'm decided on fitting the 350z front brembo calipers and 350z discs, as it looks pretty straight forward to fit these.

Now, i'm stuck on the rears. Ideally I want something that looks as good as the 350z rears as they're pretty large compared to the S14 rears, but something not too difficult to fit. What are my options there?

Rides
    Ok, scrapped the idea of trying to run the 16's in favour of some better (bigger) brakes.

I think i'm decided on fitting the 350z front brembo calipers and 350z discs, as it looks pretty straight forward to fit these.

Now, i'm stuck on the rears. Ideally I want something that looks as good as the 350z rears as they're pretty large compared to the S14 rears, but something not too difficult to fit. What are my options there?
    The z32/R33 rear setup is a common upgrade. The handbrake actually works with this setup too

Rides
    After owning a r33 until a couple of days ago I will say the handbrake is awesome on that setup! I will 100% be upgrading the back of my s14 to that system! It's a no brainer :-)
    There is a full conversion on ebay at the moment for about £300 but you can get set ups closer to £200 so depends on how quickly you want it sorted.

Rides
    Wouldn't it look a bit odd with 16's on the back and 18's on the front? If that's what most of you guys do then i'll probably have to do that.

Ideally i'd like a nice brake setup on the front to fill 18" wheels better, and something bigger on the back (similar size to 350z rears, but heard they're a pain to fit)
    Yea just run normal wheels on the front, and skid wheels on the back.

Rides

What's involved in this upgrade? Presume z32/r33 rear calipers are the same? Are the brakes/discs bigger than the 200sx as standard?

Has anyone made a guide?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dubs View Post
    After owning a r33 until a couple of days ago I will say the handbrake is awesome on that setup! I will 100% be upgrading the back of my s14 to that system! It's a no brainer :-)
    There is a full conversion on ebay at the moment for about £300 but you can get set ups closer to £200 so depends on how quickly you want it sorted.
    Got a link to the conversion?

Rides
    edit below
    Last edited by Mouldy200; 26-03-2014 at 19:14.

Rides
    R33 Backplate + handbrake assembly (shoes, springs etc)
    r33 handbrake cables
    r33 discs
    r33 calipers
    standard s14 hubs + hub carrier
    braided brake line from 200sx to r33 - driftbitz sell these on ebay for £40 ish

I just bought the lot of ebay for £220 posted

I'm about to do this conversion on mine, look under the useful threads section and its listed.. I couldn't find much info on routing the handbrake cable but hopefully it will be pretty straight forward.

Rides
    Is the R33 stuff much bigger than the 200sx rears?

Also.. i may sound stupid here, but shoes and springs? aren't they for drums?

Rides
    R33's have twin pot calipers iirc, and also an internal drum for the cable handbrake. Means the footbrake is better due to twin pistons, and the handbrake is better due to the drum.

Rides
    Ah nice. Does the 200sx run a drum handbrake as standard? Is the conversion 'bolt on'? Ie, if i pick up all the r33 bits, I can just sling it all on without issue?

Rides
    Nope, handbrake is on the standard caliper, that's why it lacks bite and is rather shite. And I believe it is bolt on, yes.

Rides
    Ahh ok. Can anyone else confirm it's a bolt on conversion before i start hunting on ebay?