Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exedy Organic clutch on a H-Dev stage 1a S14a... will it be ok?

Rides

Exedy Organic clutch on a H-Dev stage 1a S14a... will it be ok?

Afternoon chaps,

As per title, will an Exedy Organic clutch be ok to use on a H-Dev stage 1a S14a?

Everyone that sells them tend to say they are rated for a 20% increase over standard, which would mean 240bhp limit - when h-dev 1a should hopefully put mine in the region of 280-290.

I put a 1a chip on at the weekend and now the standard one is slipping on boost, so need to upgrade.

I don't have a super aggresive driving style, only occasionally give it a clutch kick and use my car daily to commute and have a bit of fun, but no frequent drift days or 1/4 mile stuff to date...

Whats your experience? Has anyone eaten an exedy organic with under 300bhp?

Rides
    My car is stage 1a (minus the chip). Same driving style/conditions as you. Commute, no track drag or drift days. occasional play and fast road. It was RR'd at 268bhp on the original clutch with 103k miles and it only started slipping when spirited driving ensued. I have since fitted an exedy oganic and it's fine like this. Plan to fit the chip too and would assume/hope I have no issues.

Rides
    I would say should be ok but are you going to increase the power in the future?if so then why not get a act heavy duty clutch if your budget can stretch to it.one less thing to worry about if you get more power

Rides
    Con2k - yes I was running stage 1 mods without the chip @ 15psi and only really found it slipped if I gave it a full throttle launch or clutch kick - but then as soon as I fitted the chip and turned the boost to 17psi, it slipped on full boost. Still MILES better than it was pre-chip though, I recommend you bite the bullet and get a h-dev 1a chip, amazing how much more torque throughout the revs you get! No need to rape the revs to enjoy the power.

Jonny, not really, I have a set of nismo 555cc injectors here which I intended on going stage 2a but with buying a house later this year, its realistically not going to happen, so just going to stick with 1a. Have you used an exedy organic at stage 1a?

Thanks

Rides
    My Exedy clutch was slipping within about 1000miles at stage 1a. Ran it in for a good few hundred miles, still slips on boost in 3rd when warm.

Rides
    OK cheers Slamz, thats exactly what I dont want to happen so might have to look at something slightly heavier duty. What do you guys recommend in terms of a good clutch for a 1a?

Need to keep it as cheap as possible, but on the same scroe dont want to have to buy twice...

Rides
    I've got an exedy stage 1 clutch on my s14a stage 1a and it's never slipped once. Running approx 280bhp

Rides
    Running approx 340 bhp on one. Only slippage is on aggressive launches.
    I really don't expect it to last very long though.

Rides
    Mine slipped badly with ~300HP.

Rides
    Get an ACT clutch.

Rides
    Last edited by jamp_200sx; 11-03-2014 at 08:56.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jamp_200sx View Post
    He dom't need it, the exedy works fine...
    Have you read any of the other replies in this thread?

Rides
    Sorry mate, i don't know why anyone get the pass of my acc and post here...

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 2

Rides
    Stage 1a with the exedy organic. Played up a little in the beginning... But has never played up on me since, even with abuse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    OK thanks for the help guys... am going to have a think over the next couple of days as to whether its worth the gamble. Ideally didnt want to spend too much, but also dont want to be doing the same job twice... DECISIONS DECISIONS!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    The exeedy organinc is a decent clutch but....

1. Make sure you get a genuine one and not one from an unknown source on ebay.
    2. Clutch kicks will kill them, as will hard launches.
    3. Make sure you get your flywheel skimmed especially if your current clutch has been slipping.
    4. I killed mine at just over 300bhp within a couple hundred miles so if you intend to go for more power in the future go for something stronger.

1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I ran 278bhp on brand new standard LUK clutch, only spirited driving and 1/4 miles, it held up for approx 1200miles, then started slipping when hot.

I run 6 PUCK ACT Kevlar + DW Flywheel, but that's definitely not for daily use.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    The exeedy organinc is a decent clutch but....

1. Make sure you get a genuine one and not one from an unknown source on ebay.
    2. Clutch kicks will kill them, as will hard launches.
    3. Make sure you get your flywheel skimmed especially if your current clutch has been slipping.
    4. I killed mine at just over 300bhp within a couple hundred miles so if you intend to go for more power in the future go for something stronger.

What clutch would you recommend Chris? I am looking to hit over 300 bhp . . I don't want to get a paddle clutch.. any advice?

Ry

Rides
    I was running stage 1a on a standard Bluepoint clutch for good 5k before this, did 2 drift days on it too, worked perfectly! Wish I'd never changed it when my box was off I must admit...

Rides
    My 14a run stage 2 (305bhp) with a Exedy for over 25k miles and it was still ok when i sold it

As Chris said make sure you get a genuine one and not some ebay 'exedy' shit as most of them are just OEM ones and skim the flywheel so its got half a chance to bed in properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.