Thread: Bumblebee MK2 Leon FR TDI SE350 AKA The Golf

Rides

Bumblebee MK2 Leon FR TDI SE350 AKA The Golf

Just got rid of my S14a last week after purchasing this from raking up the miles due to work. Had a lot of people comment saying about the diesel bandwagon, your opinion has proved invalid to me to be honest! After 2 weeks of owning this its saved me around £150 in fuel alone, averaging around 44mpg with 60%motorway with quite a bit of spirited driving, yet have still had power under my right foot whereas I could be bored out my head in a petrol car that averages this but half the power.

Im very happy with the car not just for MPG, just for its all round awesomeness. The nimble handling, firm but not spine shattering ride, unreal comfortable seats and really easy to drive and keep me relaxed are just a few to name.
    So, the new car Been looking for a while and finally something popped up with my criteria. Was kind of set on a Leon, did toy with other ideas but nothing really made me desire the car that much. This is a 2.0TDI FR170 SE350 model, picked up on 59,500 miles with FULL stamped Seat service history with the cam belt replaced the day before I picked it up, 12months parts and labour warranty blah blah. The car:
    - Onvi yellow body
    - Gloss black roof, mirrors and spoiler
    - Full BTCC (K1) kit: front and rear bumpers, skirts and spoiler. This is a £2500 factory optional extra
    - Cruise control
    - MPG meter, current and average
    - Tyre pressure monitoring sensor
    - A lot of other things I haven't figured out how to use yet

Current mods:
    - DPF removed
    - Remapped to 215bhp and 360ftlbs of torque
    - Eibach sport line spring and shock kit
    - Grooved front and rear discs
    - EBC Redstuff pads
    - Pioneer double din bluetooth head unit, retaining standard steering wheel controls

First time I technically owned 2 cars, albeit only like a weeks length:

Need to get more pics of it to be honest! Needs a day of anal cleaning first though

Plans for the car:
    Add a few styling mods, such as interior white LED kit just little things
    ARBs
    Probably coil overs to get desired ride height
    New wheels
    Track tyres
    Going to the weekender in this!

Would be stupid to say I'm not going to mod it because I will and although my plans are highlighted this are small and it isn't a check list and am toying with a lot more ideas especially long term. Started looking into what you can run out of this engine, hybrid turbo, injectors, full exhaust, S3 intercooler, uprated clutch can see over 300bhp easy and close to 500ftlbs

Rides
    Great looking little car that

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    I do like the look of these and they're supposed to be great to drive. We need more pics

Rides
    Looking good!

Whose map / dpf pipe has it got? How does it go? My sister has a mk5 golf 170 derv that's had dpf trouble (had a new one at vw under her warranty, small island is probably the reason) and is looking to do away with it soon now her warranty is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    will be interesting to see how this progresses... i have a 170FR as my daily also (with out the BTCC kit mind).. how does it drive with the remap? thinking of having the DPF removed and remapped when the warrenty is up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cChance View Post
    Started looking into what you can run out of this engine, hybrid turbo, injectors, full exhaust, S3 intercooler, uprated clutch can see over 300bhp easy and close to 500ftlbs
    Will that not be a massive amount of strain on the tranmission, from flywheel to gearbox etc etc and affect reliability?

That is what stops me going for more than just a mild remap on TD's.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Will that not be a massive amount of strain on the tranmission, from flywheel to gearbox etc etc and affect reliability?

That is what stops me going for more than just a mild remap on TD's.
    That's another reason I'm glad I went for dsg in the golf. The clutch doesn't need mapping until 500 torques (ft/lb or nm I can't remember) granted mine is petrol but it's the same box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    Thanks for the positive comments guys I am very happy with it! Will get some more pics BLAKTOOTH just got to clean it the yellow gets filthy quick!

It drives really well, I haven't driven one not mapped so not entirely sure on the difference. Its aggressive when floored, but mid range and slow speeds is relaxing. In the dry/cold it spins first and second quite easily, had a tug with a MK1 Focus RS and kept up well. It goes round corners very well! And will be even better before the Weekender. I could do with more straight line speed but I am used to a S14a so that will pass.

Sammo if you're at the weekender take it for a spin! Or if you're down the SE anytime your more than welcome to compare

You need an uprated clutch for the mods I mentioned yes, gearbox is ok from what I've read up. Im on the standard OEM clutch and its absolutely fine on the mods I have, in regards to power mods for now I'm only going to be getting a map from Revo as theyre using APS maps which get better smoother power curves and better MPG than any competitors. Can get a Sachs clutch if it starts slipping with the newer map but the OEM should hold up. It was mapped by somewhere in Leeds can't remember the name. Only thing with DPF mapped out its a bit smokey on idle
    Last edited by cChance; 05-03-2014 at 14:24.

Rides
    Sounds like the weekender is going to have quite a lot of FWD Scrabblers attending

Rides
    That looks awesome mate! Lovin the yellow! even if it screams look at meeeede more than ur white 14 did :0

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by _Jamie_ View Post
    Sounds like the weekender is going to have quite a lot of FWD Scrabblers attending
    Haha excellent You taking the Megane? Interested to how it fairs against 200s to be honest, would be so happy if it does well haha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    That looks awesome mate! Lovin the yellow! even if it screams look at meeeede more than ur white 14 did :0
    Cheers mate! Will get some more pics Saturday as I've had some bits arrive to fit Lol yea it is kind of lairy good thing I don't mind the attention haha! To be fair I've had more people say to me about the Leon 'who's is that car in your car park its awesome' than I did with the 200

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cChance View Post
    Haha excellent You taking the Megane? Interested to how it fairs against 200s to be honest, would be so happy if it does well haha
    Sure am, Should surprise a few cars on track tbh

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by _Jamie_ View Post
    Sure am, Should surprise a few cars on track tbh
    Haha Im hoping to do the same Straight line speed its pretty much the same as my mates E46 330ci coupe from off the line and on dual carriageway higher speeds, runs out of puff top end though. Round corners I'm loving it, should be a bit better with the ARBs once I get up and fit them. Really need some coil overs before Snetteron though, rubs round corners on the front too much on roads and roundabouts let alone on track

Rides
    Bit of a pic heavy update, had my first go at washing, clay barring, polishing and waxing an entire car. Was very happy. Products used:
    AutoGlym Bodywork shampoo
    Meguires microfibre wash mitt, after blasting with pressure washer
    G3 body prep clay mitt
    AutoGlym super resin polish
    AutoGlym polishing cloth and microfibre cloth
    SwissVax Onyx wax, applied by hand to the entire car left to cure for 30 mins removed with clean micro fibre cloth

Always thought my iPhone was fine for pics, evidently not. Do not do the car justice. Only thing Ill do differently next time is use a different polish and a different camera. Want to get an electric polisher but don't have the cash at the moment to spend, want to get something decent so will have to wait

Rides
    Maaattteeeeeeeee looks freshhhh! I actually love he discreet yellow!

Co-incidence that i did exactly what u did over the weekend with the new car and a load of cleaning products. But my clay but didnt arrive in time :@

How long did it take you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    Maaattteeeeeeeee looks freshhhh! I actually love he discreet yellow!

Co-incidence that i did exactly what u did over the weekend with the new car and a load of cleaning products. But my clay but didnt arrive in time :@

How long did it take you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Cheers mate Haha yea didn't want to draw too much attention
    Well I washed it around 11:30am then went to the polish to pressure washer the car. Finished up around 3pm after tidying up, the clay mitt massively drove the time down it took me 3 hours to clay my S14 with a conventional clay bar, the mitt done the car in 20/30 mins. Will take my time a bit more next time as I missed a few bits under the rear bumper and the side skirt ends. I would recommend the clay mitt highly, massively drives the time down and actually works!