Thread: Clutch slip in 4th

Rides

Clutch slip in 4th

Alright guys
    Seems abit odd but evry now and again when im drving on the a1 in 4th and put my foot down i get a small bit of clutch slip

Doesnt do it in other gears which is odd
    Any ideas?

Rides
    Normal 1st stages of clutch slip for an S14.

Rides
    4th is direct like 1:1 so when the clutch is at the end of its life it will notice it start's to slip in the taller gears 4th and 5th
    as the lower gears are reducing the power to the wheels you don't notice it in 1st 2nd 3rd at the early stages
    but it will gradually get worse/wear more of the clutch plate and you will notice it slips in 3rd as it comes on boost
    its time to look into getting a new clutch,you can limp it around not prodding the throttle too much and not letting it slip,
    but there is a chance it may wear down so much the friction material rivets let go and the friction material detaches/fall off the plate
    causing a sudden loss of any forward drive and you are stranded needing a tow home
    also chance it will score or mark the flywheel face so the flywheel will need a face skim to remove any wear grooves so new clutch has a flat surface to run on
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 24-02-2014 at 15:43.

Rides
    Cheers andy! Thats really helpful ive found a new one but will have to wait till end of march so ill take it steady for the next month

Recon it'll last till then if im just general driving and not giving it death?

Rides
    Very unusual for them to just fall apart, it's likely just worn and being gentle on it should last without issues. Sounds like early stages so just adapt your driving so it doesn't have chance to slip and it will last a little longer

Rides
    No drifting for a while then
    Cheers lads appreciate the help

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameshipkiss View Post
    Cheers andy! Thats really helpful ive found a new one but will have to wait till end of march so ill take it steady for the next month

Recon it'll last till then if im just general driving and not giving it death?
    I've limped around in my 14a for ages with it slipping badly in 3rd with any deep prod of the throttle
    you can drive it up to the point it slips and back off a bit so you can use the car and some of the power
    but it will eventually get so thin it will slip in 2nd,try not leave it as long as that thought
    as it will be grinding the rivets possibly on the flywheel face

Rides
    Mine started slipping in 4th a while back, its still holding on, but like Andy said above get changed before it eats the flywheel!

Rides
    I have seen some proper destroyed clutches from garages I've worked at but had no pictures so had to have a search
    a few goodly fcuked clutches http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/933...nd-gear/page-2
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396217
    http://www.rpmasc.co.uk/gallery/burnt-out-clutch
    Got stuck in a ditch tried to get car out by canning the crap out of it annnnd the results http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=356637

Rides
    That prelude one is genius!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameshipkiss View Post
    That prelude one is genius!
    Agreed that is destroyed completely like he thought he was spinning his wheels trying to get out the ditch but he was cremating the clutch plate
    I like the line in his 1st post, I can rev it to a million RPMS and the tires don't spin,,,,,,,is my clutch toast?,,

Rides
    He must be a proper car enthusiast!
    Took mine out for a blast today and theres been so slip but im guna get a clutch ordered so ive got it ready to go in when it does slip again