Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project CA, Pictures!

Rides

Project CA, Pictures!

Hey guys been meaning to start this for a while now but been a bit lazy so here it goes

bought my pre-facelift s13 back in October 2012? NOT SURE EXACTLY WHAT DATE

instantly fell in love, was already at stage 3

over the next three months before i started driving the 13 i made some repairs and changed a few parts over that had been poorly fitted or pretty much had it, repaired the boot lid (was full of filler from spoiler removal instead of welded up ) , welded up the lower rear quarters and also had practically the whole car repainted and added the side skirts

541364_10151769256149325_284619294_n_zpsf4a17f51.jpg
    531002_10151769257099325_2067231774_n_zpsce417eff.jpg

i wont go in to it that much but heres how it looked once id put my touches to it

965666_10151794756798338_896569991_o_zps902602b5.jpg
    iphone5s019_zps56681299.jpg

i spent a lot of money on parts i'd list the mod list but i don't want to make this a boring read, pictures are better than words

i drove the car daily for a year at 296bhp and during that time i believe you learn your car and find all the little faults one of mine being a previous owner bodging the front of the turrets with filler and repainting them and the clutch started to slip too! So i decided to take the car off the road winter 2013 for a "tidy up" which soon got a bit more involved than expected and turned into a resto and complete engine build (still ongoing)

i was going to carry on but photobucket has just gone down for maintenance so stay tuned

Rides
    nice looking car,look forward to updates!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Nice looking car, look forward to the updates
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Gotta love a white S13!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stjohnsafc View Post
    Gotta love a white S13!
    Much agreedness the contrast with the black bits works well,,,,but black is still my favourit colour (but only just tbh)
    And glad your sticking with the CA, Far too many slate it,,,then fit the Boosted tree hugging 'lets save the planet' economy engine
    (that's not an attempt to start a engine debate btw),I just want some CA engine pics please

Rides
    About bloody time, Matt

Matt's put a lot of time and effort into making this into a nice car.

It bears close inspection so if you get to see the car, I recommend you take the time to give it a proper looking over

Rides
    love it!

Rides
    Right i tried this yesterday for my computer to crash and lose the whole post

some of you may have read Pyros build thread on here, the engine that he built to go in his 180sx, i now own

iphone5s012_zps4e38d4aa.jpg

the picture is from when Pyro had it, now an engine that has been freshly built doesnt look the same after 4 years in storage

the engine is currently now at star engineering (local engine builders) undergoing a full refurbishment, i wanted to make sure the engine was still good to use and have a guarantee that it wont go pop! i had a call a few days ago and the only thing that needs replacing after all this time is the bearings as they have gone bone dry over the years it sat around, BONUS!

so i guess i need to put down the engine specs:

Jap spec ca18det engine (I've had to use my original UK engine head with all the bits that were in Jap head as i didnt want to use an 8 port)
    HKS 264 8.5mm lift inlet and exhaust cams
    Tomei Cam pulleys
    Wisco +1 oversize pistons
    Pauter rods
    ACL bearings
    new valves
    new valve springs
    new crank
    new crank pulley
    1.6mm cometic headgasket
    ARP head studs

lets just say the engine was well worth the drive from Chelmsford to (this is bad i can't actually remember) somewhere practically next to Manchester in a hire van, whole days driving!

iphone5s023_zps48155fd2.jpg

now i had an all singing all dancing engine to play with my so called "budget" which i never had anyway went out the window (joys of being 23 and living with the parents ) so i decided i wanted a new exhaust manifold and a new turbo...

i didn't want a cheapo "i'll crack in a year jobby manifold" so i asked a question on the technical s13 section of the forum to which a few people mention Wardy88 could make me a custom one, we got talking and after throwing a few pictures and ideas at him this is what i got back

iphone5s132_zpsc0fc6398.jpg

the manifold turned up and i was instantly impressed and happy with what he had done so i test fitted it as i had a spare head that was useless to me laying around

iphone5s134_zps32598a66.jpg

having something custom made can have its little niggles, as you can see one of the runners was touching the rocker cover and the bend in the last runner is a bit tight, i mentioned to this to Wardy and he insisted i send it back and he'll pay whatever the postage, so as i had a spare head kicking about that i didn't need i sent back the manifold with the head (as he didn't have a ca head to build from and one mans junk is another mans treasure) so when i get it back it should fit spot on

now the turbo.... i decided to be different, everybody seems to go for a TD06 low mount or a top mount, i wanted to keep the standard position as you can see by the manifold and yesterday i ordered a GTX2867r with .86 housing, upgraded metal bearing cages and a forge actuator from Owen Developments

so..... you're probably all wondering whats actually happening to the car..... well this happened

iphone5s110_zps36145a86.jpg

lifting a CA out was easy with what i like to call a "dolly crane" but a pain in the arse as a CA doesn't have any engine eyelets so i will be grafting some up for the new engine (being allowed to do your build at work, in my spare time obviously is f**king awesome)

I'm about to go out now so i'll leave it here for the time being
    Last edited by maff_1991; 23-02-2014 at 09:36.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    About bloody time, Matt

Matt's put a lot of time and effort into making this into a nice car.

It bears close inspection so if you get to see the car, I recommend you take the time to give it a proper looking over
    i know Jonny! its been a long time coming.

appreciate the comment , the car has had my blood, sweat, but is yet to take my tears

although it nearly did when i hit a badger at 60mph after only driving it for two weeks!

Rides
    Nice,,like very nice, I can see the engine spec,that awesome mani and turbo it will crack 400
    Possibly at that state of tune a CPC plenum with a larger TB and the similar design types (Jun copies?) could be worth considering
    not cheap and I have no data for CA's but on a lancer evo back to back testing worth around 40 whp + equal torque numbers gained
    and AMS 40>60 whp gain on their latest design,evo stock inlet is similar to the CA with a 'log' and long runners so got me interested
    enough to start making one ala cheapo pikey spec
    regardless 400 will be very rapid and looks like a very cool build

Rides
    Cheers Andy, i'd love to go for an after market plenum and throttle body but i'm absolutely clueless about what happens to everything that's bolted/fixed to the original plenum? if someone has a guide or tells me exactly what i need and what i need to do i will definitely look into it regardless of price

nothing wrong with raising the figures a bit more

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Interesting thread Maff. Good work on the manifold and Getting the turbo uprated by OD.

As you've got an unlimited budget how about a proper inlet manifold like the 'Lehmann' ones Audi use? Basically a double pass plenum where the pressure is evened out for each cylinder.

What's going on inside;

A VAG 20V one by Dahlbeck, may be modifyable for a CA;

It's still used by VAG racing and WRC cars. Zurawski Motorsport did one for Stavros off Driftworks.
    If you don't want the photos cluttering your thread pm me and I'll remove them.

Found a 'universal' one from Jenvey;

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/home/turbo-plenum
    Last edited by cleanhands; 23-02-2014 at 09:34.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    If you don't want the photos cluttering your thread pm me and I'll remove them.
    what's a build thread without more pictures and suggestions.......boring......and many heads are better than one

that manifold looks awesome, was a bit when i saw the price tag, that's almost as much as i paid for the engine, although my turbo was over double the price i paid for the engine

i really need to find someone that's done a CA after market inlet mani before so i can see where everything goes

looking at the pictures of the inside i'm surprised the manifold isn't restrictive

Rides
    I've read about the Lehmann type plenum and how audi used it on the quattro rally beasts and agreed at first glance it looks restrictive
    or the the air is being forced through a narrow slot,but I see an airflow picture (no idea were as I read a lot of stuff on various threads)
    that showed the air flow was evenly matched as the air tumbles or scrolls around the first entry part,then flows equally through the slot to the trumpets
    Audi tweaked the idea as the group B cars evolved, it certainly works well the only thing is the overall size of it limits its position
    as in the TB would have to be on the lower side as the bonnet won't shut if at the top of the plenum
    and it would involve a lot of custom fab work to get it to work,even if you used the Jenvey universal plenum
    Alternatives would be CPC plenum,Shogun on here runs one,nice looking welding thing ,and the design has been tweaked using thicker material
    early versions were cracking there welds as the plenum swelled with boost (Danger To Manifold! from 2f2f)
    Jezz's intake with pics of the cracks and the remedy/bracing http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...manifold/page2
    the design has been tweaked I believe doing away with the welded seam that cracked
    Or cheaper the PNT performance version http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-INTAKE...3D270983917607
    some report early version needed shortening to clear Clutch Master cylinder,AAC valve mounts underneath
    http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...owtopic=399134
    I'm making a early Evo lancer Jun stylee plenum fit the CA intake flange and injector rail/manifold as my cheapo DIY version
    yet another on the back burner side project on the go currently
    The stock inlet makes power as many have proved,Big tone,mobne etc both made well over 500 whp
    but Imo it can all be improved and made better with gains in powers bhp + torque to inspire us

Rides
    Looking good mate may have to pop and see this when the engine is back :-)

Rides
    Not really done a lot more to the car as I've been concentrating on getting the engine done, but this turned up today

Rides
    omg shiny!! very jealous ha.

this is a beautiful car. amazing what difference the japanese rear bumper makes ha
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Right i managed to get a few hours on the car today, the engine bay needs one hell of a tidy up so i started by welding up the rusty turrets:

I'd quickly sealed them up previously when it was on the road just until i got the time to do them:

after i removed the plate on the passenger side ,the hole at the front!

all cleaned up ready for the welder

all repaired! now, when i get the welder out i get carried away so i seam welded the turret to the inner wing to make sure i don't get water ingress again!

bit of protection for the bare metal underneath (POR-15 awesome stuff) and my new top plate i fabricated, took photo before i made the hole for the bonnet bush (which i need two of if anyone has any? mine fell apart)

full car shot after i'd done both sides, still got the top plate to put on the drivers side

and that was it for the day i advise anyone who has an s13 to pull the plates off when they get the chance and remove all the car cancer before it gets as bad as mine was

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan200BMX View Post
    Looking good mate may have to pop and see this when the engine is back :-)
    yeah dude I'll let you know when its back

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
    omg shiny!! very jealous ha.

this is a beautiful car. amazing what difference the japanese rear bumper makes ha
    I love bolting on shiny bits , thanks!! yeah the bumper gives it a tidier look i think, even better that it only cost me £30