Thread: Wheel refurb

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

Wheel refurb

Before I start please no rota bashing in this thread, I do have the power to ban people don't forget

The lacquer on my gtr-d's is looking some what sorry for itself currently. I keep looking at different rims but at the moment I can't justify the expense

What would you guys do with these?

Not as bad

The pics make it look worse than it is but as you can imagine this is somewhat annoying.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I would send them in for powder coating the whole wheel one colour.

You could try to sand back then polish but its going to be difficult not to accidentally catch the spokes. You'd then have to keep on top of them weekly.

Rides
    You could try to polish them back to bare metal but if they look like they would be a rate ball ache.

I had really bad pitting on the lips of my old 3 piece splits, in the end I just got them powder coated. Matt black centers, gloss black dish and barrel.

I think spraying them is your only option I'm afraid.

Rides
    A decent wheel refurb firm like spit & polish would be able to re polish and laquer the lips no problem! i had them do some antera 343's for me a couple of years back came back like new!. A regular waxing to the lips would prevent the laquer peeling again.

Rides
    You could get them diamond cut but without lacquer. It means you have to treat them like a polished dish but less expensive.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by richie s14a View Post
    A decent wheel refurb firm like spit & polish would be able to re polish and laquer the lips no problem! i had them do some antera 343's for me a couple of years back came back like new!. A regular waxing to the lips would prevent the laquer peeling again.
    Would it matter that the wheels are one piece and don't split?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    There's no way to beat low quality lacquer so why not have a change, perhaps have them sprayed up in a subtle colour (nothing garish) and have the lips paited in Satin.

Rides
    Thing is chris is do you like to sit there every weekend polishing wheels? Im in a similar situation with my advans and after speaking to several wheel refurb places i can either.

diamond cut and polish every weekend to keep clean
    Powdercoat chrome which some places say looks very close to polished
    Powdercoat or paint a colour and forget the dishyness

Rides

rims

As said previously you have 2 choices
    1.Send off for a full refurb and have them diamond cut and lacquered again or just powdered one colour which will prevent the same happening again,But beware diamond cutting even when lacquered does not last long as powdercoat as stone chips have far less to penetrate. I have had wheels done in the past only to be looking the same in a year or so.

2.Have the rims mirror polished or do it yourself at home, Its fairly easy to do but is a b'stard to keep looking nice afterwards. They will need polishing and waxing regularly i.e every week and road salt and alloy wheel cleaner will destroy the finish if it comes into contact with it.If you do choose this route,mask up the silver part of wheel well and use nitromors to remove the laquer first.You will then need to work up the grades of wet n dry to remove the diamond cutting and leave smooth metal and preferably finish with a mop on a drill and some polishing soap.

Rides
    Would'nt matter that there a one piece mine where and they had no problem sorting them out.