Thread: New S13 owner from West London

Rides

New S13 owner from West London

Hi, I've just bought myself an S13 and really excited to get it on the road. Coming from Vw's it all seems fairly alien and most things seem to be laid out differently.

I will upload pictures tomorrow, it's been stood for 6/7 years and has a bit of rot that needs treating, anyone know of a good garage/welder in West London that won't have my pants down to get this sorted?

Cheers Owen

Rides
    Welcome Owen, I'm from Heathrow so not a long way away I imagine, it'd be good to see another S body around, hardle see them any more

I'm in the same boat as you as trying to find someone to do some welding as well, not having much luck yet.

Rides
    Not West London but only just outside M25 to the South is DAL. He welded up the rear end on my red S13 a treat

PM him, DAL on here. He's in Gravesend. He can probs do a "drive-in-drive-out" Saturday/Sunday service.

Rides
    Welcome mate... good to see another s13... be sure to get pics of car and girlfriend up on here ASAP..!

Rides
    Welcome.

Anything S13 London/Kent/Surrey/Essex way.. DAL, DAL and DAL again.

Do it.

Rides
    Thanks for the replies so far guys, real appreciated, will be sure to look DAL up. Would upload some pictures but my phones for some reason not having it.

Anyway a bit more about the car, it's got 68k on it, and only owner before me, however it has been stood for about six and a half years so needs a good going over and in the middle of carrying out a thorough service on it. Any particular good place to buy service items other than euro and ebay?

Rides
    SXOC Members get a discount for Eurocarparts. I think its 25% but not certain.

For service parts...

Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W40 is a good oil for the S13.
    Get a genuine oil filter from Nissan. They're not expensive.
    Gates make a good cam belt kit that includes the tensioners at a a reasonable price.
    Brakes - BigRedd do a rebuild kit for the calipers and, well, take your pick for pads but note that there is a difference in the pads fitted to facelift (280mm disks) and prefacelift (257mm disks).
    I have a spare set of facelift front calipers that I stripped to bare metal and rebuilt - complete with calipers.
    Braided lines is also a good idea as the rubber ones will be bulging by now.
    Also, if you start looking for upgrade bits or want bits and pieces, drop me a PM as I have quite a few S13 parts in my shed from a breaker - Those too are cheaper for members.
    If its got a standard air filter, K&N do an upgraded panel filter for it.

Rides
    Prefacelift brakes (257mm disks) are pretty poor but facelift brakes work pretty well if, like anything else, they are in good order. There are a load of threads about upgrading the brakes and people use 4-pots from the S14,S14a,Z32 (300ZX), from Skylines and Wilwoods, Alcon etc. etc on the front. On the rear people convert to 5-stud hubs and fit Z32 rears, Skyline stuff and so on.

Some need special brake lines for the conversion, some need different carriers, different disks, the stoneguards removing or bending back, an uprated master cylinder and so on. Some fo the bigger brakes have problems with interfering with the shocks if they've had lower springs or coilovers and lowered.

However, the biggest issue is getting the wheels back on. It’s very hard to upgrade the brakes under prefacelift OEM wheels and most brake conversions require spacers for facelift OEM wheels. With aftermarket wheels, some work, some don't. It’s about the space behind the wheel not the size of the rim so some 17s are no good other 15s help a lot.

Have a read up on brakes, post up your current wheel, suspension and brake set up on your thread (or start a new one in Tech S13), state what you are looking to use the car for, how much money you have to spend and your mechanical competence and you'll get plenty of advice on what to fit.

I currently run rebuilt and powdercoated S14a calipers on the front with redrilled s14a disks, Project Mu pads, Apex premium conversion lines, 5 mm hubcentric spacers, OEM unwebbed facelift wheels with the OEM master cylinder and standard but rebuilt rears. It’s as good on the road as a healthy standard setup but looks a bit more bling.

These are the standard facelift ones I rebuilt recently. If you decide to go that way, I PMed you what I would want from a non-member (I always sell at a small discount to members )

They were stripped, the main body and the carriers were acid dipped to take them back to bare metal then zinc primed and heat-paint treated externally then rebuilt using red rubber grease.

I was going to put them on my red car but I sold it before I got around to fitting them. I have more pics from before, during the rebuilt and after, if you want them.

Anyway, as I say, have a look at the options, decide which way you want to go and we can take it from there.

In summary,

Prefacelift brakes are just rubbish even when in good nick.
    Facelift brakes are ok for the road as long as they are maintained but will warp disks if the calipers are allowed to seize.
    4-pots are as good as facelift brakes but are better on track or for VERY hard road driving as long as you also fit the 30mm thick disks from an s14a as they are less prone to fade.
    M3 disks require big wheels with lots of space behind but will stop the car quicker.
    Changing the front and rears will require a different master cylinder.

Sorry for the long post.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s13owen View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far guys, real appreciated, will be sure to look DAL up. Would upload some pictures but my phones for some reason not having it.

Anyway a bit more about the car, it's got 68k on it, and only owner before me, however it has been stood for about six and a half years so needs a good going over and in the middle of carrying out a thorough service on it. Any particular good place to buy service items other than euro and ebay?
    Oh, if you want advice about recommissioning a car after a long lay-up, John905 recently did just that with a prefacelift that had been laid up for 12 years. Its now about the nicest prefacelift around. He's not on the forum that often but drop him a PM or find his thread about the car and post up on his thread.

Rides
    Check the fuel tank for rust, mine was rusty inside after being stood for 6 years.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Check the fuel tank for rust, mine was rusty inside after being stood for 6 years.
    And the fuel needs draining out and replacing. It'll be like sour pish by now.

Rides
    Welcome dude...might see this around hopefully

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    SXOC Members get a discount for Eurocarparts. I think its 25% but not certain.
    Bugger! I just ordered a load of stuff from them

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Bugger! I just ordered a load of stuff from them
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...-Discount-Code

25% off unless they have a sale on (when things are generally more than 25% off).

Its worth checking the members discounts sub forum before buying anything car related really.