Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of the masses

Rides

Opinions of the masses

I have a problem at the moment, where my bonnet is getting so many stone chips, I don't know whether it's because the paint is thin, or that the S15 is notorious for them.
    But I was thinking, do I get a carbon bonnet (standard style) as this will save doing touch-ups to pearl paint (it looks )
    I do plan on getting a respray at some point in a brilliant white, but that is about 2 years down the line.

The other question is, what colour should I get my wheels? I'm going to get them refurbished and am thinking about colours.
    If anyone could photo-shop me some options that would be great!

Rides
    Get your bonnet touched up and then get this stuff (I'm not affiliated with them just googled the type of stuff) http://www.3mventureshield.co.uk/paint-protection-film/

As for the wheels leave them silver. Far too many cars running odd colour wheels. They're as Nissan intended them.

Rides
    I hate film and on a bonnet there is no reason to need it. It'll be very poor prep or poor quality of laquer. If it has a decent respray with good quality materials theres no reason it should get excessively chipped.

I would probably go with a nice pewter/anthracite for the wheels.

Alex B

Rides
    The touch ups look really visible as the pearl is hard to match. That's why I didn't want to go that way.
    Its a factory spray job, I thought it would be better than how it is. When I got it there were none at all.
    Saying that the council have been "resurfacing" a lot of the roads around my way by throwing gravel at it, and calling it a job well done.

I wasn't thinking too odd for the wheels, maybe a white, anthracite, black or standard silver. I just don't want to pay out and then not like them!

Rides
    I wouldn't be a fan of the film either but if it keeps the car looking tidy then how bad. If I was to do it I'd do the whole bonnet though as at least then you wouldn't have the very obvious lines on it.

Rides
    Carbon bonnet would look good imo. As for the wheels I don't like silver with white so maybe go for bronze or an obvious black.

Rides
    Personally I'd go carbon bonnet and wheels a dark colour being black,grey or another my two pence :-)

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    As long as you paint the carbon bonnet. Tbh I like it as is, looks understated and classy, a grown ups car. Not something that happens too often.

Rides
    Get the hood repainted then have a clear wrap put on. I've gone off the having a black carbon hood as it seems every focus, corsa chav'd up pos seems to have that look now.

Rides
    Little tip with the wheels, get the dimples on the spokes filled in! Its what I did my rays, it really changes the look, you loose the "oh yeah there 350z wheels"

Rides
    Thats a cool idea actually. Any photos?

Rides
    I'm glad someone else thinks it to, iv always said my S15 gets waaaaayyyyyyyy more stone chips than any other car iv had.

Rides
    Yeah here's a few of how it worked.

After acid dipping.

Magic metal as filler. Required 2 fills and alot of sanding.

Primed using acid etch then filler primer. (This is just acid)

Final coat (they are going to be black soon)

Rides
    nm

Rides
    Got so say, my S15 has 112k miles on it, it's black, and there aren't any noticeable stone chips on the bonnet. Definitely don't go down the white with black bonnet route, every nasty pikey modded car rolls around with that look.

Also don't change the lovely pearl colour to a horrible kitchen appliance white either.

Rides
    Mixed opinions then, I do agree that the carbon bonnet look can look tacky, but surely not on a classy S15? haha.
    Whilst I agree that the pearl is great, when I park next to my mates R33 GTR, it makes mine look like its off white and a bit wrong. and back with the point that touch ups are difficult.

I was also going to get the dimples smoothed in, they collect dirt and its hard to get out! They look really nice in that colour!
    I'm now thinking gloss black wheels with the carbon bonnet. When I get a respray I can always paint the bonnet.

Rides
    Yeah I think that will look good John! Plus its your car so don't worry!

Rides
    Honestly I don't see you car as being aggressive enough to pull off a carbon bonnet. Maybe space the wheels out a little more so they really fill the arch.

Rides
    Have you considered vinyl wrapping the bonnet as a cheap fix until you go for the full respray? Gloss black wheels would look good and as above a bit of spacing wouldn't hurt

Rides
    Rays don't need spacing on a S15. Rears are 30 offset and fronts 33 and they fit well!