Thread: Propshaft angle & shortening advice...

Rides

Propshaft angle & shortening advice...

So I'm putting full running gear and subframes into another vehicle...

I now need to decide what angle I'm going to tilt the engine at front to back and thus my prop angle before I tie the rear subframe into the chassis (looking to run it straight all the way through). Does anyone know the S14 angle as standard and what are peoples thought on different angles?

Also, the standard prop is in 2 parts. I've got to shorten it around 8 inches. Keep it in 2 parts still or shorten into 1 piece?

Thoughts and experiences please...

Rides
    1 piece prop is fine as is having it straight with no angle. obviously you will have to take the whole prop off if you just want to pop the box off so think about how its gonna mount to the rear diff.

don't tilt the engine forward or backwards, it needs to be angled sideways towards the exhaust side though for oil drain.

Rides
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The two box rails imitate the original s14 chassis rails and sit perfectly level and parallel. Subframe is then bolted up as normal and as you can see engine is tilted to turbo side as normal.

So what angle does the engine sit as standard if say taking off the fly or bottom pulley (which I've checked are the same) - 90deg?

I will be using the standard rear diff prop mount.

Rides
    With a 2 piece prop one half of the prop has to be an extension of the gearbox or the diff i.e. perfectly straight. Since you have 3 UJ's, one has to be straight and the other two must be in phase to cancel each other out.

So what I do is use the front half as the extension and then the angle in the rear half doesn't matter a great deal (a few degrees) as long as the differential/axle is in the same plane (i.e parallel) as the engine/gearbox.

It can be easier therefore to use a single piece prop to save setting up the front half.

Easier with a diagram to show:

or one piece

Rides
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

So if I set up as per my original plan with the engine up level (90deg on fly) and the single prop at level then the diff will be level in the same plane and level and therefore the diff mounting face also 90deg, I should be fine. If for some reason however I can't get the diff on the same plane as the engine then it can be lower but parallel, although i don't see this being an issue as I can't practically mount the rear subframe where I like vertically in the car.