Thread: 14a Wont Fire. Maybe NATS..?¬

Rides

14a Wont Fire. Maybe NATS..?¬

Evening all.

For a few days my 98 S14a hasn't started.

I recently rubbed through a few wires in the wheel arch at a skid day, which have been repaired and relocated. Whilst down there, a mate noticed the the little bit of loom which connects the bonnet sensor part of the alarm had been rubbed through on the bit of the fire wall it goes through. A red and white wire had been completed severed. These were then reconnected, still no joy.

The only thing I've done to the car recently is give it a service, we checked if I'd got a duff fuel filter, but that still squirts on the fuel pump priming.

The engine turns over fine, hasn't ever missed a beat, but now just seems like there's no spark. Is this how the NATS immobilises the car?

I've re-synced my key and fob, that hasn't worked either.

Does the NATS need re-setting completely or something?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rides
    I had to get my NATS re-synced when I got a different ecu, it fired for about 2-5 seconds then cut out and the engine light I think just flashed, but ignition off and on again and it would fire again for a few seconds, once it was synced it was fine so I would assume you may have a different issue? Fuel pump wire might have been there? check that, also if something shorted when it rubbed through it might have blown a fuse, stick a multi meter in every wire that should be live on ignition and crank

Rides
    Thanks for your reply fella.

Fuses are fine, any blown ones were replaced. This isn't my first time repairing the loom I'm afraid!

Does sound like yours had different symptoms though. Hmmm...

Rides
    When you've reconnected them have you stripped it all back and resoldered it or just crimped?

Nats can be troublesome but im pretty sure that's only the 14's that had trouble not the A's. If it was NATS causing trouble then as Jumpbike had, the car will start for 2-5 seconds then cut out. Did it cut out on you when you rubbed through the cables or was it only after you messed with them?

....Phone....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chunky89 View Post
    When you've reconnected them have you stripped it all back and resoldered it or just crimped?

Nats can be troublesome but im pretty sure that's only the 14's that had trouble not the A's. If it was NATS causing trouble then as Jumpbike had, the car will start for 2-5 seconds then cut out. Did it cut out on you when you rubbed through the cables or was it only after you messed with them?

....Phone....
    My nats issues was exclusively crank spark no fuel issues.
    was on a bare stock S14a, even the floormats was stock, also cd-player, just like it was delivered in 1997

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by adv View Post
    My nats issues was exclusively crank spark no fuel issues.
    was on a bare stock S14a, even the floormats was stock, also cd-player, just like it was delivered in 1997
    I stand corrected. 14a's do have NATS issues also

Cheers for the info bud

....Phone....
    Last edited by chunky89; 20-01-2014 at 07:44.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chunky89 View Post
    I stand corrected. 14a's do have NATS issues also

Cheers for the info bud

....Phone....
    Yep... 14a's suffer from it also. I bought mine with a NATS issue preventing it from running for more than 10 seconds. Pretty cheap fix is just to take it to H-Dev and get them to resync it for you.

No spark sounds different though. Possibly an issue with your immobiliser? Check your Crank sensor is plugged in as that would prevent spark

Rides
    Nate doesn't disable spark so it's not that. Have you checked your cas and igniter chip, I can't think of any wires that run through the arch engine wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Right, update on this:

Still wont start.

Ive swapped the ignition amp, all four coilpacks, checked the relays behind the ECU, no progress.

Probing the coilpack loom with a multimeter, everything has continuity, and power when its needed.

Putting some old (but working!) spark plugs on the coilpacks, and earthing them out of the engine, reveals no spark at all, on any.

Is this the immobiliser not letting me start it?

One of the wires in the arch loom that was rubbed through, was the big 'main power to cabin' wire. Is it possible that its crossed with something and cooked the ECU a little?
    Last edited by ChrisS13; 05-02-2014 at 16:54.

Rides
    Had the same problem, turned out to be my CAS.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko-Na-H View Post
    Had the same problem, turned out to be my CAS.
    Balls. Hoping it wasn't that! I've got a spare CAS, I'll have a look at swapping that over on Friday then...

Rides
    CAS swapped. Still wont start

Going to have another look at the loom in the arch after a coffee, but if that doesnt throw anything up, Im all out of ideas..!

Rides
    Did you mark the CAS before removal and mount in the exact same position? Won't fire if not...

Could also check the CAS plug for voltage/earth?

Rides
    Yep, carefully replaced. Wires seems fine too.

No joy with the arch loom either, that all seems fine.

One of the relays that lives behind the ECU now makes a slight buzz for a second when you turn the key to ignition on. Swapped it out, but it happens to every relay you plug in, but they wont buzz if theyre plugged in somewhere else.

I've had a look inside the ECU as well, there aren't any burns or signs of damage on the PCB in there.

I am completely at a loss now...