Thread: learning to transition when drifting

Rides

learning to transition when drifting

Hi guys,

Im pretty new to drifting ive spent the 4 -5 weekends at a private place where me and a few mates can drift.
    im pretty compitant at small and large loops (basically round abouts)
    i want to move onto figure 8s and just wondering if theres any techniques for transitions and weight shifting

im looking at going to norfolk arena in a few months and want to be sure i can transition comfortably .

cheers guys

Rides
    The only thing I would say is you already know your car is going to transition so think about starting to counter steer just
    Before the weight shift to catch the drift and not spin out,
    Also I don't know of any "private" roads with a roundabout
    Where you would actuly be able to skid, everyone knows it was in the streets man lmao

Rides
    Haha i think ive typed it wrong
    Its not got a round about but i can do loops which is pretty much what u do when drifting a round about if you see what i mean

Rides
    Ignre
    Last edited by SX_BIG; 16-01-2014 at 22:43.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameshipkiss View Post
    Hi guys,

Im pretty new to drifting ive spent the 4 -5 weekends at a private place where me and a few mates can drift.
    im pretty compitant at small and large loops (basically round abouts)
    i want to move onto figure 8s and just wondering if theres any techniques for transitions and weight shifting

im looking at going to norfolk arena in a few months and want to be sure i can transition comfortably .

cheers guys
    You just gott do it and learn man.

Eg

When the car goes to strighten (as if you were coming out of a 'loop) keep the power planted. Feel the weight of the car shift in from one side to the other. Let the wheel feed thru ur hand (dont go grabbling with the wheel). Then catch the drift going the other way.

Thats one way. Or, violently come of the throttle and let the weight flick the car the other way.. use the throttle and the steering wheel to catch the skid.. like above. So hard to explain. U just gotta do it!

2 ways I use. Anyone feel free to post sumit better!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Too add. Make the most of the snow if it comes. You can feel the cars weight shift and u will be doing sub 20mph so safe ish. But u gt an idea of whats going on. Then just apply balls for dry 'track'

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rides
    ^^what he said!you can talk for hours about drifting but the only way to really do it is get some seat time.Try and get yourself up to the pod before you go to the arena,all you need to do is spend a bit of time doing figure of 8's around cones-it's boring but teaches you how to transition.It's just about knowing when to catch the wheel.when transitioning the movement is very violent and you will spin a lot when learning.It will become intuitive after not long.Cant really explain more than that,just go and do some skids!!!

Rides
    Lift off throttle, let the back end swing round while allowing the steering wheel to spin, then catch the steering wheel at the angle you want, get back on the throttle.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    Cheers guys! Looks like some seat time coming up this weekend!

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Figure of 8's are the best way, then as you get the hang start doing it wider/faster, its actually a pretty natural thing once youve got your head round it
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCarter200 View Post
    Lift off throttle, let the back end swing round while allowing the steering wheel to spin, then catch the steering wheel at the angle you want, get back on the throttle.
    But that's how I take the direction of choice when the back has let go on white paint.

Wind the steering into it as it goes, once pointing the right way lift off, let go the wheel allow it to autosteer, grab on dead ahead and plant the pedal.

It doesn't flick out the other way.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    grab on dead ahead
    Dont do that then, allow the back end to keep going past straight, then grab the wheel.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCarter200 View Post
    Dont do that then, allow the back end to keep going past straight, then grab the wheel.
    What this man has said.... watch me from 16seconds to 30seconds. It shows me going past straight, it also shows me handling the wheel like an octopus... I had shite technique TBH. That was on a kidney bean style track. Was the last time my 180 skidded before being sold

Rides
    Rubix. Where did you get the arctic camo interior from?

Rides
    Been out today had good fun learnin! Trasitions came pretty quick to me so more practice tomorow
    Cheers for the help guys

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bryant211 View Post
    Rubix. Where did you get the arctic camo interior from?
    I made it (by that I mean, I bought the fabric and I paid an interior guy to sort it out.