Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S14 Plans (would like opinions)

Rides

Question S14 Plans (would like opinions)

Hey Sxoc members and guests,

My name is Gary i'm 22, i will soon be a proud owner of a S14 200sx which i've been waiting to be for a long time! I'm still learning alot and searching for info but theres no better people to ask than the sxoc, i would like your opinions and ideas whether its a better option or if you think that im missing something important out for my up and coming project! all feed back would be much appreciated.

Exterior
    Origin Lab Racing line Kit
    50mm rear fenders/wings
    Aero kit D1-spec vented front fenders/wings
    18 x 8.5 (for now but will change as and when i can afford the right wheels)

Handling
    HSD Coilovers
    Apex 4 Arm kit
    Driftworks poly subframe bushes
    Apex full Anti roll bar kit

Performance
    Z32 AFM
    Apexi Super suction kit
    H-Dev Manifold
    Forge piston re-circ
    Japspeed aluminium Rad
    Japspeed Turbo Elbow + Twin downpipe
    Apex FMIC
    Jdm N1 Cat back exhaust + high flow sports cat
    Nismo 555cc Injectors
    225lph fuel pump
    NGK Iridium Sparks
    Gizzmo MS-2 Boost controller
    Exedy Stage 1 organic clutch
    Apex Z32 AFM stainless intake kit

Miscellaneous
    Samco Silicone Coolant Hose Kit
    Samco Silicone Turbo Hose Kit
    Braided Brake + Turbo Line hose kits
    Engine and Gear box Mounts

Along with that the car will be stripped down any rust problems sorted then Media Blasted and Undersealed! Please voice your opinion and tell me if you think i've missed anything

Thanks

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    There are an unrivalled amount of kits, wheels and tuning parts available for the S14. Some will say don't choose this kit or that kit, same with wheels. At the end of the day its your car and it shouldn't really matter what anyone else thinks, go with what you want to go with and what you can afford. If you have something in mind and you want to know whether its good quality stuff or not ask on here and we'll point you in the right direction. Also, decide what you want to use the car for and then ask advice...for example, I wouldn't put an expensive fibreglass bodykit on my car because it'll get smashed to shit, but for a road car I maybe would. It just depends on what you want. I personally love the racing line kit but wouldn't buy it for my car for the reason stated. From what you have posted you seem to be thinking along the right lines though, but like I say it depends on what you want to use the car for

Clickme

Rides
    Sounds good, engine wise you'd need a map to run the z32 maf and injectors. Iirc you've got the mods for a stage 2a H-dev chip (double check there site, it tells you exactly what mods you'll need).

I'd also look at braking, at the very least decent pads but an r33 gts-t setup is a good upgrade or one of dans (db power) big brake kits.

Apart from that it sounds like a good start, enjoy

Rides
    Well this be a road car which i hope to take to shows and meets and an occasional track day! i wont be swayed on the look its mainly for guidance on if there's anything vital that i've missed like an uprated oil cooler etcc but im not quite sure my budget depends what i have when i get back of tour and i will be looking to uprgrade other parts in the future.
    thanks for your opinion

Rides
    Davus! i've already looked into the chip and was going to get the h-dev 2a missed that of! my bad.
    as for the brakes been having a look around havent left that stone unturned just not made a final decision yet
    thanks

Rides
    H-Dev Manifold not needed other than for looks the std manifold can easy handle stage 2 and more.

NGK Iridium Sparks im going to spark off a riot but i would always just use a colder copper plug and change it more often for peace of mind

Rides
    Personally I'd hold off on the wide arch kit until you have wheels that are worthy of it. Unless you are using some fairly serious spacers or offset, 8.5js will disappear into the arches and frankly look shite.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    Dont run away ordering all those parts at once. Your plans WILL change as you go along with the project.
    Do it in steps and keep the car on the road.

Rides
    Wheels will look very lost even on stock arches. Also look to the for dale section as there are loads of bits which will save you money. A joy I didnt have when starting out with my s14. Some of the parts you have listed I have seen in recent for sale threads lol

Rides
    Dude. Don't write a specific spec list before you even own it. Just drive it and do what feels right.

Rides
    Personally, I'd buy on that is already modified to an extent and change parts to suit your needs. Whilst it is very rewarding starting from scratch - it is also very expensive. Budget for things like welding, a new turbo, braided oil and water feeds and gaskets for said turbo. Most cars are now of an age where the standard T28 is going to give up soon after you show it some boost. Save all the body stuff until last.

Most importantly, have fun.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBringer View Post
    Dont run away ordering all those parts at once. Your plans WILL change as you go along with the project.
    Do it in steps and keep the car on the road.
    The main thing is im in afghan currently and based in germany so the car will stay uk bound for the whole duration i have left there, my point is i will get a massive chunk after tour where i will be able to do the work then will only have time here and there that is why i have gone about it this way + my mate will be doing bits on the car while im in germany

Rides
    Dave my next plan will be too save for a turbo after i've come along with my list and become comfortable with the performance but that will also require other mods to keep me happy with other aspects!

as for the cost im willing to fork out but obviously within reason and welding etc isnt a problem, have a welder, compresser etc to hand when needed!

Starting from scratch is the way i'd prefer to do it if viable but thats harder with lack and cost of unmodified 200sx's. It's something i've always aspired to do since i was a wee boy ahha

Thanks for the turbo advice appreciated

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by slider200 View Post
    Wheels will look very lost even on stock arches. Some of the parts you have listed I have seen in recent for sale threads lol
    Thanks i willl keep my eyes peeled for these (: as for the wheels im still open minded and not set on a certain set yet i would like to go 9j front and maybe 10j rear but the price of wheels is pretty extravagant so will be open minded and wait for the oppertune moment to purchase right

Rides
    Thanks for all the feedback, advice and opinions very helpful and nothing is obviously set in stone till it happens

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Dude. Don't write a specific spec list before you even own it. Just drive it and do what feels right.
    I understand where your coming from with what your saying but i need to work out an idea of what it will cost me to get to where i want to be so i can work out some kind of budget and if i do this means im less likely to spend money elsewherre and can work out how much i can afford to put aside for a house! im not exactly on mad money like some people and my job takes away alot of my time

Rides
    The price of wheels mate, it's not bad. Keep your eyes peeled.

And if you intend to do that to your car from stock and money is an issue, you're going to need to browse our used parts section.

Rides
    Id also recommend buying one with most of the stuff done. That's what ive done as I know from experience of building cars/track cars etc, that it gets expensive quickly.

Rides
    the thing is i'd rather not buy a car that has been ragged within an inch of its life and people these days lack honesty and would lie about how a car has been treated for a good sale

Rides
    Depends on the seller totally. My car had loads and loads of history with it, id rather buy off someone who used it as intended rather than someone who just used it for plodding to the shops not caring about oil changes etc