Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what BMW forum?

Rides

what BMW forum?

Hi guys, i know we have quite a few BMW boys on here so i was wondering what forums they use for the beemer? if any?

im thinking of getting a 2003 330D M sport if funds allow and one comes up that i like, but want to do as much research as possible before i do

ive found bmwland which seems ok and bimmer something or other.

i know i wont find any forum as good as this, but some half decent would be great!

thanks guys

Rides
    They are all shite, ask on here imho

The Msport suspension is rock hard and overly stiff for UK roads, at least it is on my 330cd.

Rides
    Bimmerforums is good for mine.

Rides
    Bmwforums.info

For reasons I cba to explain most of the good members from bimmerforums left and went to bmwforums.info. Loads of good lads on there.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    The Msport suspension is rock hard and overly stiff for UK roads, at least it is on my 330cd.
    Word. It's properly crap. I'd happily sacrifice the sport bumpers for a ride that isn't appallingly badly judged and with a modicum of compliancy.

Rides
    And everyone mocked when I bought the SE...

E46 zone has some good people on it and is a decent place overall but there's only a handful of knowledgeable folk unfortunately

Rides
    lovely thanks guys!

so what you are suggestion would be to go for a normally 330d and not the msport?

are there any other differences?

merry christmas!

Rides
    Bumpers, steering wheel, seats, sill panels, few other bits

The answer for you lies with what do you want to use it for? I wanted a luxobarge - so I bought one. For me the M sport does what the Triumph Sprint I own does - compromise sports and touring to be sports touring. Problem is it's not great at either.

Rides
    well to be honest arry its for going to work in, coming home in and nipping out in. i also do the odd drive down south at 800 miles roundtrip, maybe 1-2 times a year.

i want something pretty quick, but also not to expensive to run. the 330D's seem very good on fuel, even when putting your foot down!

on average i probably do 5-6000 miles a year.

when i do get one i know ill spend abit more then normal because ill want to look after it, do it up etc, but i enjoy that anyway! just dont want to get into the realms of a 3k car with 3k stuff added to it again

i want the speed, and i want it to look nice, but it doesnt have to be super sporty i guess

Rides
    Test both, see how you feel

The SE isn't a terrible handling car anyway but it's obviously bulky and a bit lacklustre in terms of front end feel

I do really love my car though, it's been excellent

Rides
    I am going to replace the springs on mine with some eibachs which apparently help a lot for the ride.

But there are 3 big things that i dont like about my 330

1, the ride is fvcking awful, i mean really awful and while its sporty to an extent its to harsh to enjoy sometimes.
    2, no limited slip diff, a big issue on the diesel with all that torque as you can light up the little "enjoy" light all the time. I dont think the lack of a slipper on the petrol is as big a deal but the diesel goes like hell and could really do with one.
    Finally 3, the stereo is shite. i have bmw business audio which on a fully specced 40k coupe is not even a joke, its a disgrace. The top end HC stuff is also shite imho, you really will want an after market setup.

Other than that its a nice car, but make no mistake the s14 does a lot of things an awful lot better. but then it does a lot of thing a lot worse as well.

Rides
    Stereo is rofflecopter bad!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Stereo is rofflecopter bad!
    Thats what this monster is for...

Rides
    hey im rocking around in my rover 75 with a tape deck at the moment!! haha, also to be honest now i dont go racing around all over flying down lanes or anything, i generally dont speed unless im on the motorway or a deserted 60 zone, and when i do its only every now and again.
    so aslong as its comfy and isnt terrible ill be happy. sounds like either or in that department, i will start looking at the visual aspects of them both as well. From what you guys are saying im thinking it isnt worth paying any extra for the top version audio stuff then.
    Is it worth pressing for 1 with sat nav or is all that extra money spent on an aftermarket system then?

Rides
    oh and what is the size of the boot like? guess i wont be getting 2 sets of golf clubs and trolleys in?

do the seats fold down?

thanks

Rides
    Honest opinion? Get the touring - then it's bare practical n stuff. You want a practical car so buy one

It's what I did, I don't regret it

Nor getting an auto.

In fact I'd say I have the perfect car for what I'm doing with it nowadays and it's been a long time since I could say that

Rides
    By the way - get the touring roughly translates to - saloon boot space is ball bag

Also, one criticism is that although it gets 3 in the back it ain't particularly roomy as the wheel arches come into the cabin somewhat

Rides
    oh why did i start looking at volvo estates :/ totally stuck with what to do now!

Rides
    Still not a bad choice assuming you're talking d5's - DLowe will be along shortly to wax lyrical

Rides
    lol - they are a awesome choice, don't get bubbly wheel arches like the BMW's

tho only thing that lets a Volvo down is FWD, but they do go round bends well for the size, get a AWD estate D5 with a remap and they go very very well