Thread: Ps13: 180sx black top loom but red top engine fitting advise

Banned
    Rides

Ps13: 180sx black top loom but red top engine fitting advise

So i have a PS13 that had a full 180sx blacktop sr20det and ecu fitted but was removed. the question is....

I have got a redtop sr20det to go in (engine, engine loom box and ECU)

will this be a plug and play job or will the be a bit of rewiring involved? if so where would i find the how to or guide

thanks

Rides
    iirc there are three main variants in eccs loom, the part youll be worried about is the two harness connectors under the afm. youll either have two (F8 and F10) or three connectors. im pretty sure the late blacktop non vvt loom had three connectors. also another thing to check is the wire positions within F8 and F10, they are slightly different, its mainly the brown wire.

either way, if youve got the same number of connectors then its either a straight plug in or a pin swap. if its the three connector layout then youll have to do some wiring.

there are also a few other differences in the blacktop non vvt loom, (someone please correct me if im wrong here), but ive found they have pas reservoir sensors, some have hicas switches, and also the afm connector will be different

Rides
    The attached might be of use - I made notes of the harness plugs when I rewired my 97 180sx (I fitted an S15 VVT engine). As with most things, I never got the time to turn it into a proper guide , but you can compare it with the redtop pinout info that must be well documented somewhere.

It just had the two plugs by the AFM and they were similar enough to the other S13 variants, give or take the odd relocated wire (as Norfy says, the brown wire is the most notable one). I think it's just LHD cars that have the third plug.

However, it's the plug in the cabin that's totally different, so no hope in hell of the redtop harness plug fitting a '97 car (it'll be a wire splice job, although not too much to make it run).

Alternatively, if you still had the blacktop ECU harness, then the redtop ECU should fit that, I think, although you'd have to go through the ECU pinouts to check no significant pins had been relocated (the diagrams generally look the same, but there's the odd wire different and the labels are in Japanese in the proper manuals, so that doesn't help). So perhaps the splice job is easier.

Edit - although, as pointed out in the post below, if it's the early blacktop then none of that applies and it'll be near-enough identical to the redtop, I think.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by John Bennett; 20-12-2013 at 15:40.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYRED View Post
    So i have a PS13 that had a full 180sx blacktop sr20det and ecu fitted but was removed. the question is....

will this be a plug and play job or will the be a bit of rewiring involved? if so where would i find the how to or guide

thanks
    I think it's hard to give advice based on that information.

Black top = 94-96 180sx
    = 96-98 Kouki 180sx

Prob need to know which one
    Last edited by redsx94!; 20-12-2013 at 09:14.

Rides
    just as an update John, ive worked with several looms that have the third connector, and iirc my 180sx has three connectors. i believed it was a '96/'97 kouki thing as was the dash connector.

also the different dash connector is the same connector used on the s14 eccs loom (interior abs connector)

Banned
    Rides
    I believe there is a connector by the dash

I will update with pics when I get a chance

Great info so far guys thanks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by norfy View Post
    just as an update John, ive worked with several looms that have the third connector, and iirc my 180sx has three connectors. i believed it was a '96/'97 kouki thing as was the dash connector.

also the different dash connector is the same connector used on the s14 eccs loom (interior abs connector)
    Sorry - should've asked you about that (I probably sounded dismissive - apologies).
    Pretty sure my car's a '97 and it's just the two plugs and there's nothing in the '96 electrical manual update, so quite a suprise! Guess I'm out of touch
    Was this another rounded connector and were some of the important control wires relocated from the other two plugs?

That new dash connector is also the same shape as the A/T ECU harness plug a few cm from it - that was the cause of a bit of confusion a few years back when wiring my car

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYRED View Post

thanks

It was a red top sr20det andy not a blacktop in the car.

Rides
    My 91 PS13 had 3 connectors down by the afm. Two grey ones. Pretty sure one of the grey ones had aircon stuff on it.

Rides
    Ah - I see it on the diagrams now. Looks like a 6-pin rounded connector, rather than the 8-pin ones and, as you say, just seems to be aircon wires on it.

I probably should've made a note of it when doing the pinouts, but I didn't keep my aircon.