Thread: New Essex lad

Rides

New Essex lad

Hi guys and girls, im Jordan and 20 from Essex. Ive signed up in the hope of some advise as I am looking to buy an s14a very soon. Ive always been a Ford man still currently have 2, one of which is a Mondeo ST220, I am selling the ST to make way for an 200sx.

Are they a problem car, being Jap I doubt it.
    Do they tend to suffer from common problems, are they a cheap fix?
    And do they suffer from metal maggots like some of my Dagenham dustbins have?

Any info and advise would be superb as plan to start viewing a couple and hopefully have one before the end of march

Thanks in advance
    Jordan

Rides
    Hey buddy and welcome, the 200s will be a worlds apart from the st. as for common issues it varies from model to model, which one are you after?

S14's
    vvt rattle is most common- this is not detrimental but an annoying noise

S13s
    if not looked after big end rattle is pretty common.
    mainly rust though

The main common issue is yes, they do like to rust though so youll need to check the sills, turret tops mainly

Aaron
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    As above mate. Rust is the biggest issue but if you find a good well maintained one it should last you well

Welcome btw, any pics of your fords?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Over all they're very cheap to run and modify, but you have to remember they're old cars now. If you're after modifying one don't dismiss one that's already done. The mods are usually fairly common and easily researched, particularly one that's for sale on here. Definitely get a move on prices are going up.

Welcome to SXOC, I think you'll find we're accepting of pretty much any cars on here. Lots of people have stayed around even though they've long since moved on from SXs.

Rides
    Thanks for the welcome guys Im after an s14a really I have found what seems to be a nice one with 1 owner, full Nissan service history and totally standard, its on a 'w' plate with 76k miles.....very tempted!

I will look in those key places for rust in particular is there anywhere else I should be looking for or listening out for when I test drive one?

I've already seen your a welcoming bunch of guys, once I get my own 200sx I cant want to hit the shows, track and meets with you guys

As for my Fords I have some of my ST on the laptop and my Focus.

The Focus I bought as a none runner with a few more problems during the ownership but almost complete last thing to do is fit a new a steering rack arm

[IMG][/IMG]

My ST as I left from the previous owners house
    [IMG][/IMG]

within a week
    [IMG][/IMG]

Referbed wheels look the nuts if I do say so myself haha
    [IMG][/IMG]

a lot of hard work went into this and I will upset to see it go
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

in amongst my current cars above, ive had an st24 handful of fiestas, couple of focus's.....a Ford man through and through but I need something else and always had a soft spot for a 200sx s14 so this is the beginning!!

Rides
    Where in Essex are you mate?

Dont be blinded by the FSH, check the actual intervals as the SR20 doesnt like extended service intervals on average oil VVT rattle will be most noticable as you bring the clutch up to pull away, a second or so of Brrrrrrr. If its really bad it will sound like a taxi on idle

Bodys dont rust much unless its poor accident repair but the underneaths are starting to go so check the sills and the suspension mounting areas.

Oh and after the ST220 you will be very disappointed by the seats in the 200
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Im in Benfleet mate, work in Basildon lol

Thanks for the advise mate, I shall check the mileage and parts its had then. That gives me something to listen out for then when I go to look at some

most things....other than older cars don't rust much unless a poor repair, luckily my old man works in an accident repair centre so has a good idea what hes looking at which is a total bonus

The 200 seats aren't very comfortable then? maybe some ST220 recaros could be transplanted into the 200 then lol

Rides
    Welcome to the site. If you find an
    S14a which happens not to be on here i'm sure a member on here would come and look at it with you. I'm only in basildon/hornchurch so not a million miles away!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleverley View Post
    Welcome to the site. If you find an
    S14a which happens not to be on here i'm sure a member on here would come and look at it with you. I'm only in basildon/hornchurch so not a million miles away!
    Cheers mate and that's much appreciated I shall bare that in mind whilst im on the hunt for an sx