Thread: 75 amp fuse keeps popping

Rides

75 amp fuse keeps popping

Evening all.

Bit of fun and games with the car tonight

The 75amp fuse in the engine bay box, popped on me tonight. A few electrical parts still work, no lights or indicators ect, but the car will still try and start, turns over okay, no spark it seems.

This I think is the immobiliser, as the light on the dash has gone out entirely..?

Before it went, the car would start and run fine for a few seconds, but then stalled, even with throttle applied.

So a little reading before this post reveals that that 75 amp fuse mainly governs the alternator..? Which I guess would explain the car stalling after a few seconds..?

I've recently moved the battery to the boot, and have checked, as best I can in the dark, all the earths, in the both the boot and the engine bay. A proper look tomorrow in the light might shed some light on the matter, but if anyone has any ideas, it could be helpful.

After I'd checked all my connections I tried an 80amp maxi fuse with connectors, just to see, and it blew it sky high as soon as it was connected. Key wasn't even in the ignition at this point.

The car drove fine until tonight. Even a short (like three minute) drive to the girlfriends house, moments before this issue raised its ugly head.

Any help?

Thanks folks.

Rides
    Is your car low ?

Was it wet when this started ?

Only instances i have heard like this is when the loom in the driver side front arch has been worn through.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Hi mate. Yep quite low, but having rubbed through most of it in September, its all been repaired and moved well out the way. Ive had a quick look at it anyway, but can't see much with the wheel on in the dark...

Rides
    Sounds like something is going to earth. Check the cable running to the boot isn't damaged on the insulation anywhere and touching the body as that could cause problems.

Rides
    Also what size cable have you used?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by joedmt View Post
    Sounds like something is going to earth. Check the cable running to the boot isn't damaged on the insulation anywhere and touching the body as that could cause problems.
    This for sure.

Rides
    Thanks team, heading over to it now to have a look at resolving this.

Quote Originally Posted by joedmt View Post
    Also what size cable have you used?
    16mm˛ bud.

Rides
    All sorted Turned out to be a little LED strip I was using to light up a switch panel. No idea how it was managing to pop that fuse, it was wired up to the plug with three wires that isn't plugged into anything... has a 'sidelights on' 12v feed...

I know not to use it again.

Thanks for everyone's input!