Thread: Tablet help needed - buying

Rides

Tablet help needed - buying

Hi all,

I am just about to buy my daughter a tablet for xmas. She originally wanted a media player but as shes now 9 and getting more intot he internet etc I thought a tablet maybe better.

Now before everyone wades in with the you need an Ipad 5 with this and that I am defo looking at the budget end of the market due to her age etc.

I've been looking at the £70 odd ones from Asda etc, are these any good for a beginner?

Any help greatfully received

Rides
    You can pick the samsung 7 tab up for around £100 at the moment have a look around. Tablets at the low end seem very hit an miss, spending an extra £30 will be worth it.

I was in www.scan.co.uk and saw the above tablet for £100.00 so have a look and see if the deal is still on.

Rides
    We've just picked up an Easypix Monstertab for our young lad. It's pretty well specced, with 7in screen, running Android 4.1, 512mb ram, 4GB internal memory (expandable to 32GB with a memory card), and it was only 100 Euro. As it's Android, you've full access to the Google Play store for Apps etc, and there's a host of parental safety features too.

We were looking at 3-4 different options, including the Meep and Nabi, and according to the lad in the shop, it's a just as good as either, but a lot cheaper. They come in different colours too.

http://www.easypix.eu/en/MonsterPad-EP751-Sharky-Shak

Rides

Rides
    Just seen Aldi are doing a tablet tomorrow for £80. Good specs, probably not as good as the Tesco Hudl but their 3 year warranty is great.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...7316-md-98282/

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    My old mans got a HUDL and rates it, much cheaper than the other options
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    As it's Android, you've full access to the Google Play store for Apps etc
    This isn't always true. There's a license fee involved for the Google apps (which includes the Google Play store) so a lot of the cheapest tablets don't come with it. Always worth checking.

Rides
    I have been playing with a gemini joytab 9.7 £99 from Very.

First impressions are great, very light, very well built brushed aluminium case and lovely brightly coloured vibrant screen. Im told that it uses the same screen tech as the iPad. And i can believe it too.

Its no slouch on the software side of things either, for general use and gaming (Shadowgun and Asphalt 7) it seems to just suck it up and does not flinch!

My biggest issue is the fact that the battery struggles to last more than a full day if you are using it frequently.

BUT for the price tag i cant fault it to be honest.

Trying to get my hands on a Tesco Huldi now though, The reviews seem to be very good and are placing it very highly in the top 10 Android devices, comparing it with devices nearly 3 times it's price !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    The hudl is excellent value for money and is well worth it, its as good as android devices twice the price and takes the piss out of the 400+ price point slates from apple ect.
    Ok it has a few short comings but for the majority its more than good enough and hudl 2 is imminent.

The Aldi unit is ok but the screen is not a high res, i would go for the hudl.

Quote Originally Posted by stoofer View Post
    This isn't always true. There's a license fee involved for the Google apps (which includes the Google Play store) so a lot of the cheapest tablets don't come with it. Always worth checking.
    That is not hard to get round ;-)

Rides
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-inch-P...f=cm_cd_t_pb_t

These looked good for the money. £69.99

Unavailable now.

I'm also looking for sub £100 7-9" tablet for my younger sister.

Rides
    Ordered the above tablet. Absolute crap as suspected.

Rides
    Get a Hudl - great bit of kit for the money

Rides
    The Hudl is great value for the money and if you have to have brand new on a budget it's the one to go for BUT the first gen Nexus 7 can be picked up for the same if not less money and in terms of it's screen, performance and sound it trounces the Hudl.