Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid Mount / High Mount Intercooler

Rides

Mid Mount / High Mount Intercooler

Has anyone got this setup done. I'd love to see your photos of it. Particularly on a s14a with the ac still in place.

Rides
    I do but I removed the air con.
    The sodding dump valve pipe still fouls the fan shroud, and you still need to cut the slam panel, get a smaller battery. Mine was japspeed.

Rides
    Any chance you'd stick up a picture of it anyway please?

The slam panel will be removable, the battery is going to the boot as it will get in the way of the intake pipe and I run a DB Power rad with twin electric fans. I should also mention I'm putting a 1jz in there.

Rides
    I can't offer any pictures or advice, but can I question why you're doing it?

I say it not in the guise of 'why are you bothering' etc, I am interested as to what the advantages are.

Rides
    Without too quick an answer (or sounding like Billie) because I want to. I like the idea of it. Plus with the 1jz space is tight and where the cold pipe is I really need an air filter.

Plus I want to duct the front for the intercooler setup, then an oil cooler to the side.
    Last edited by Muttly; 04-12-2013 at 10:00. Reason: Damn iPhone Auto Correct

Rides
    Perfectly valid reason man, glad you were straight up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttly View Post
    Without too quick an answer (or sounding like Billie) because I want to. I like the idea of it. Plus with the 1jz space is tight and where the cold pipe is I really bed an air filter.

Plus I want to duct the front for the of setup, then an oil cooler to the side.
    I don't understand this post.

Rides
    Theoretically shorter pipe to the core should mean less lag. I'm hoping to go HMIC soon, purely to get the IC away from the front, being a low car and drifting etc, helps protect it. Plus less hoses to go pop

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_200sx View Post
    Theoretically shorter pipe to the core should mean less lag. I'm hoping to go HMIC soon, purely to get the IC away from the front, being a low car and drifting etc, helps protect it. Plus less hoses to go pop
    Why not just fit the FMIC in front of the radiator and move the radiator back ? Short pipework and a full-size IC and you can retain the air-con if you wish.

Rides

I use the full race backdoor intercooler on mine instead of a normal fmic upside down like most do.
    I removed the AC so not sure if it would get in the way or not?.

Rides
    Have you not considered a v mount rad and inter cooler? Very efective and about as close as you can get.

Here's a pic of my one on my old rx7.
    Apologies for the dirty bay but i neglected it for abit .

Rides
    Chris and Johnny. I don't have space to edit move the rad back it v-mount. I've got a 1jz in there.

Rides
    Johnny, what didn't you understand about the post?

I also have 2 cores to choose from. The greddy one and a gtr one which has the bends in the pipes naturally.

Rides
    Jonny, I'm not running mega high boost so no need to have a huge intercooler, plus with the right hmic kit, you can retain pop up lights with a bit of fiddling around

Rides
    Last few pics in my build thread. Clicky

Rides
    Nice fit ratgreen. How did you support the headlights? The full length brackets seem to be gone.

Rides
    Without too quick an answer (or sounding like Billie) because I want to. I like the idea of it. Plus with the 1jz space is tight and where the cold pipe is I really bed an air filter.

Plus I want to duct the front for the of setup, then an oil cooler to the side.
    I don't understand why you want to take your air filter to bed with you nor do I understand what the "of setup" is.

Rides
    Looking at the pics Ratgreen has linked to, HMIC looks to me like the same as rad-mount but without moving the radiator back.

Does it require you to cut out the h/light support brackets ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I don't understand why you want to take your air filter to bed with you nor do I understand what the "of setup" is.
    Fair enough. I've fixed it. Damn iPhone autocorrect. lol. The bed should have been need. The of should have been ic (intercooler).

Looking at the pics Ratgreen has linked to, HMIC looks to me like the same as rad-mount but without moving the radiator back.
    It does fit next to the rad but you don't move the rad back, it fits behind the headlight brackets but infront of the slam panel. Similar to this but further forward, like pretty much touching the back of the brackets.

Does it require you to cut out the h/light support brackets ?
    To do it you either need to cut that section or remove the slam panel as the headlight mounts and bonnet latch mount are removable from the bottom but welded at the top, personally that never really made sens as even though you could unbolt the bottom the top was still welded in place. However I am removing the full slam panel, making it in a position where it will and then the bracket will un bolt, therefors thats not an issue.

Rides
    Fair enough. I've fixed it. Damn iPhone autocorrect. lol. The bed should have been need. The of should have been ic (intercooler).

It does fit next to the rad but you don't move the rad back, it fits behind the headlight brackets but infront of the slam panel. Similar to this but further forward, like pretty much touching the back of the brackets.

To do it you either need to cut that section or remove the slam panel as the headlight mounts and bonnet latch mount are removable from the bottom but welded at the top, personally that never really made sens as even though you could unbolt the bottom the top was still welded in place. However I am removing the full slam panel, making it in a position where it will and then the bracket will un bolt, therefors thats not an issue.
    That makes a lot more sense now, lol.

Regards the slam panel, NickS13 did something similar to his S13. Check out the pics in his build thread.http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...-Street-Weapon

It seems a lot of trouble to gain 3 inches but if you need the extra, you need it, I guess.