Thread: anybody repair electric motors or know where does? - compressor motor failed

Rides

anybody repair electric motors or know where does? - compressor motor failed

the motor on my rand compressor has failed. its an electric motor connected to a piston. 2hp i think. it looks like a small bit of the copper wire coil has burnt out, maybe got a bit of shit in it or something?

looking to get it repaird or replaced but i dont know much about this stuff. it looks like a big alternator but works in reverse i assume!

anybody know if it can be fixed? and if so, who can do it? it was a great compressor with a good big tank and i really dont want to get rid

Rides
    It will probably be cheaper to replace the motor, most motors have one of a few standard footprints, so you dont need to buy from the OEM, find out what it is then try somewhere like RS or Farnell for a standard replacement.

Rides
    Go to your local engineering place and get a new one, it probably needs the coils rewinding if it's burnt out.

Rides
    You can check if that is the problem by doing an insulation resistance test on it if you have any electrical friends local

Rides
    Maybe try a starter or alternator repair place, quite a few motors are re buildable and it could just be high miker or worn brushes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...