Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1996 S14 Build

Rides

1996 S14 Build

1996 S14 Build

Well it all started when I decided to sell my E36 and get something more interesting, more appealing and with more potential.

Heres the E36 in its glory, shortly before it went.

Once I had the money for the car the search begun, the search wasn't very far or for very long...

Ive been drifting now for about a year and live with another Keeno marino (Drift Taxi driver) so it was sensible for my next car to be something to suite these needs, with my house mate and his most his friends being nissan owners/lovers it was about time I got myself one that Ive always wanted.

I had spotted a s-body about 5 years ago that took some interest from me. It looked as though it had been kind of left and unused. The car was infact parked very near my (now brother in laws) flat. My dad had also pointed it out to me on the many of occasions we went to visit, my dad has had a few 14a's in the past as company cars so this one had also caught his attention too.

Anyway, I was sure that the car was there still as it was only a matter of months ago I had a glimpse of it after a late night out and a walk back to the flat. Several days after selling the E36, I walked that way home from work and was pleasantly surprised that it was still there!

Without any hesitation I started the search for its owner! that didn't take long! I rung the doorbell of the house it was parked closest to and there was no answer after several attempts, I was about to walk away when a older woman came to the door and asked who I was and what I wanted etc, after a lengthy conversation I discovered that the car belonged to her son and he was looking to MOT it and sell it soon! I managed to get his mobile number, after saying thank you and beginning my walk home I thought I should try and call him and see what he had to say about the car and whether I could make an offer on it.

A long story short I bought the car about a week later and brought it home! I knew it needed some minor welding repairs for me to MOT it etc. The car had extensive service history, im the 3rd owner from new its been a company car pretty much all of its mileage and James, the guy I bought the car from had invested in Apex track coilovers and some decent brakes as when he used the car (for the total of about 2,000 miles) he had the intention of turning it into a track car but due to family/work commitments never managed to.

The car after bringing it home had a obvious misfire issue, I wanted to sort this issue, then get the welding done, service it and put a MOT on it before really cracking on with the work I wanted to.

The misfire issue turned out to be a knackered old fuel pump, after fitting a new (micra) battery, stripping down the front, cleaning and checking the MAF, changing the plugs, changing the fuel filter, looking at vacuum lines, hoses, boost pipes etc for cracks and leaks.

So by now the car had a new fuel filter, a walbro 255 in the tank and a set of iridium NGK's.

After the fitting the fuel pump, I test drove the car literally just 200 meters down the (private road). The car drove very very well, I was very happy. I then came back and began to park, when......

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!

I got the car onto the drive and switched it off immediately, I have had lots of cars in my past and had that gut feeling it had just spun a bearing, which I still believe to be the case.

To make myself feel better I bought the car lots of goodies and got some parts I had lying around from previous cars ready.

In between all this time I had another listen to the engine running and took off the camcover, the noise really sounded internal and metallic, Im sure its not top end.

I checked the cams for wear, all the valvetrain components for obvious signs of damage etc and could not see anything. My assumption is that the old engine oil just simply was not dissipated to the bearings etc and a shell got hot and spun (or began to).

I decided that rather than spend alot of money and time locating the exact issue and fixing it, I would spend the money on another engine that's in good working order.It didn't take me long to find one, thanks to this forum!. I took delivery of the engine several days ago and am yet to give it a good clean up and check over before I fit it (hopefully next weekend).

I plan to clean the spray bars, check the oil pick up, clean the sump and check all basics over. Once the engine is in, I will probably fit the FMIC kit I have and the exhaust system. I will sort the welding once the engine is running and happy as the rest of the car is fit for the MOT.

Here is the current plans/spec list, well soon to be with what parts etc I have, most just need fitting!

Engine -

Toda 264 inlet camshaft
    Jun 264 exhaust camshaft
    NGK Iridium Plugs Grade 7
    BLitz LM induction kit
    Japspeed turbo elbow
    Japspeed super-low 3" downpipe
    Japspeed 3" decat
    5Zigen Pro-Racer cat back exhaust system
    FMIC kit
    Electronic Boost Controller (need)
    ALly 52mm Rad (need)

Transmission -

DW Lightened flywheel
    Exedy stage 1 clutch
    Braided Clutch line
    Apex Short Shifter
    Welded diff

Wheels/Tyres -

STANDARD

Interior -

Corbeau Revolution Carbon Kevlar seat
    APEX super low seat rails (need)
    OMP Corsica steering wheel
    MOMO boss kit
    Takata Harnesses
    Rear Stripped
    Tomei gearknob

Brakes -

Driftworks Hydro Hbrake
    Padgid Pads alround and brembo front discs
    DOT 5.1 fluid (need)

Suspension -

Apex Gen2 8/6 track/drift coilovers
    Apex rear traction arms
    Apex rear toe arms
    Apex rear camber arms
    Apex front castor arms (need)

Exterior -

Stock body, de-wipered/rear spoiler delete.

Near Future plans are to continue fitting goodies that I have and finding a decent set of wheels, electronic boost controller and getting the car re-mapped and of course taking it to many many drift days
    Last edited by jizzle; 21-11-2013 at 14:07.

Rides
    Looks like a good build so far. I made the change from an E36 to an S14 as well (although mine is an S14a) and I'm so glad I did!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Like what you did to the e36 so looking forward to how you progress with the s14
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Sweet mate keep the updates coming.

Rides
    Nice little project. Shamless plug but I have a elec boost controller and a koyo rad

Rides
    Thanks people

Slider200 - pm me what ya got mate

Rides
    I saw that E36 on DW for sale and tbh I was tempted!it did look nice!I bought a stock uk zenki S14 too instead which I am in process of modifying like you for drifting!

Rides
    Not much of an update but the engine should be in and running this weekend

I will try to remember to take lots of photos, and If I get time ill start getting some of the mods fitted etc.

Rides
    that E36 looked really cool, would of been even better with an m3 rear wing.

Thats unfortunate about the engine,so fingers crossed with the new one

liking the progress so far, keep it up

Rides
    Well the weekend came and went, made a fair bit of progress but with other comitments coming up and me needing some unexpected gaskets I didnt get to finish to job

Today I am ordering a new apex turbo elbow and gaskets, a braided clutch line, subframe locking collars, solid diff bushes/mounts (may aswel do while its all out). I also found a mocal oil cooler sandwich plate and lines so going to sort a 13 row oil cooler to complete the kit.

Rides

I have yet to mount the oil cooler, refit all the coolant system, fan, shroud, air filter and the exhaust system. Once that is all done I will look at sorting the other bits to be fitted.

Rides
    Looking good so far. Got any ideas on wheels yet?
    Looks similar to how i found mine.
    Lady at the end of my road had one, saw it when i went to work every morning and then when i was looking to get one, i knocked on her door and now its in my garage!
    Liking the colour too.
    What you doing with the knocking engine?

Rides
    Thanks mate, really bot sure on wheels yet, will see what comes up when its on the road. Colourwise im thinking black wheels and intercooler etc or white wheels which look great but need regular cleaning!

The knocking engine, I really dont know yet mate.

Do you have a build thread too? (Just seen your sig!)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jizzle View Post
    Thanks mate, really bot sure on wheels yet, will see what comes up when its on the road. Colourwise im thinking black wheels and intercooler etc or white wheels which look great but need regular cleaning!

The knocking engine, I really dont know yet mate.

Do you have a build thread too? (Just seen your sig!)
    Go a bit stealth with the intercooler then?
    Yeh ive had some orange wheels (dont judge) in the past and they ended up being a pain to keep clean!

Id take it off your hands at the right price .
    Dont want to put a downer on things but have you had a look for rust yet?
    mine is same year and was rotten but was daily driven 365 days

Rides
    Pm me ya offer dude

Yes i have, luckily i have access to ramps so have checked it over well, its very very good, im lucky! I have 2 arears that im cutting completley out and replacing very soon, ill get pic up of the underneath this weekend!

Rides
    The engine is up and running now, I had to heat/bend the exhaust setup for it to fit snug, Ive bought some more goodies for the car... pics will be up when theyre here.

will check all fluids and usual bits before the cars road test this week

Once its home Im booking it in for an MOT straight away, when that is done, I can fit my stereo, steering wheel, seat and rails and my harnesses. The car needs a good thorough clean which Im also very keen todo!

heres some random pics, and if anyone has an offer for the old engine, get in touch as im not sure what to do with it now!

Rides
    Good progress so far

Rides
    Well shes home but shes not happy, have a rough idle and a slight missfire.

Think timing is out on cas?

Ive checked all usual ignition components

Someone help?

Rides
    well it turned out that the CAS unit was not fitted properly, the fact I bypassed the coolant to throttle body and the ignition timing was just all out!

Finishing it off tonight and if all is well, the car is going in for a MOT on Monday.

more goodies collected

Rides
    Quick update, the running issue still remains the same, but I have a lambda sensor on its way to me this week so hopefully that will sort it all (ive been told).

The car is now MOT'd, Taxed and Insured.

This week im fitting my wheels, rolling arches, fitting my new boost controller, defi gauges and my seat/rails/harnesses/steering wheel

lots of pics to come!