Thread: Clutch pedal sticky when warm

Rides

Clutch pedal sticky when warm

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the clutch pedal. It feels fine when the cars cold but when i come off the motorway or get it warmed up it becomes very catchy/ sticky. This causes it to be tricky to drive with and not smooth when raising it to pull away. Would i need to strip down the pedal and grease it up or is it likely to be the clutch release bearing expanding under heat? clutch fork issues? I'm hoping its a common problem with a simple solution so any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

Rides
    I'm having the same problem after fitting my hks paddle clutch and as u said its worse as it gets hotter and becomes very hard to live with. Would like to see the feed back from this. (I didn't replace the release bairing so I'm thinking it could be that)

Rides
    Very unlikely to be a problem with the pedal itself as that wouldn't see much temperature change. If its ok on the way down but sticky on the way up the most likely culprit is the release bearing.

Rides
    Thanks mate,

Im new to the s14 so just wondered if it was a common issue. The guy who sold me the car said he put a new clutch in not long ago so maybe there is some issue with how he did it or the choice of bearing he used.

Might be a while before i get round to taking the box off but ill try to update this thread with my findings for you Shaneyboi

Rides
    My engine and box are coming out over Xmas got a forged engine and Osg box so I'll put a new release barring in and have all ok see if anything looks out of the ordinary and post it on here to if I find anything.

Rides
    I have Carbonetics Blade, and I think taht is normal for carbon clutch. Its like normal clutch when you drive normal, but when you warm it up, it becomes agressive like on/off clutch. When I had Exedy Sport tuff, it was other way arround.
    I think its better that it sticks better when hot, as normal clutch starts slipping when hot.

Rides
    Hi doggy,

Thanks for the reply but its not the bite of the clutch that im talking about, its the free moving of the clutch pedal. It doesn't move smoothly when its pressed down or up if that makes sense?

Rides
    The pedal sticks as ur trying to pull the clich out then just flys out and ur off or stalled a bit dangers when in traffic or reversing into a space lol. That's what mines like anyway. Is urs the same sort of thing?

Rides
    Yep! Not managed to stall it yet but I will! Makes my clutch control seem a bit crap!

Rides
    All tho I don't need to 'pull' the clutch up. It comes up as it should only it's catchy and does what you discibe

Rides
    Oh yeh sorry I dnt have to pull it up it comes up just sticks a bit until u take more pressure off the pedal then it flys out lol

Rides
    If it were me, before I took the box off, I'd do two things...

I'd have a look in the footwell and check that the pedal box is sound. Its quite common for the box to break on 13s and getting more common in 14s. I don't think it is this as it wouldn't get worse as the car got warm but its worth checking and its "free"

I'd remove the slave cylinder, strip and rebuild it. The slave cylinder does get hot as its attached to the bellhousing and if you have water/gunge in the fluid at the slave cylinder you could get problems like you describe.

Then I'd take the box off.

Check the lever arm pivot as they fatigue and shear but can remain "in situ" until a clumsy clutch kick or similar dislodges it.

Replace the release bearing with an OEM one and replace the spigot bush too while you are there.

Grease the pivot lightly with HMP grease and check that the lever arm is not bent/misshapen.

Check the flywheel and the release plate for signs of bluing, deposits or other damage.

Skim the faces if necessary and treat the faces with coarse emery paper so the surface can mate nicely with the organic clutch material.

Slap it back together and hope

Rides
    If I understand now, you pedal doesnt come back as it should? Then check if your clutch fluid level is ok. And check clutch cilinders to see if they work like the should. Repairing master cilinder is cheap and you need few minutes to do it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by doggy View Post
    If I understand now, you pedal doesnt come back as it should? Then check if your clutch fluid level is ok. And check clutch cilinders to see if they work like the should. Repairing master cilinder is cheap and you need few minutes to do it.
    It works ok when cold but sticks when the engine warms up. Low fluid wouldn't fix itself when left overnight

Rides
    Good shout jonny. I'll check over the slave cylinder and sliding action of the clutch fork and hope that a clean/ rebuild might fix it.