Thread: Damp behind drivers seat!

Rides

Damp behind drivers seat!

Evening gents,
    Did a search and couldn't find anything which seemed to apply.
    Took the drivers seat out and found a lot of damp in the rear of the footwell underneath the carpet. Couldn't see any obvious routes for the water to enter, could there be anything underneath the sound deadening which is letting water in? Or any suggestions of common places that let water leak?
    Cheers in advance

Rides
    I wouldn't call it a common place, but there was a thread the other day about the driver's seatbelt being wet when pulled out of the reel. My own car has shown signs of this recently, which means that there must be water trapped in the area to the right of the rear seat, or at least dripping directly onto the reel from the window above.

It's one possible route to behind the driver's seat.

Other possibles are a hole in the floor or rear arches letting water/spray up from underneath, or a leak from anywhere pooling under the rear bench and then running down through the carpet.

Do you normally park on any sort of slope?

Rides
    There is a hole just behind the fuethes outward, rear seat mounting point that could be letting water in. It's got a hard-ish cover over it but it could be leaking through the door seals. May even be through as hole in your sill! Have to have good look about.

Rides
    Thanks for the replies.
    No I don't park on a slope my driveway is pretty flat.
    Il have a good look about

Rides
    I'd get the carpet up properly so you can have a proper look around, also pop off the covers that sit by the rear seats that cover up the arch holes.

does it have a sunroof?

poke something like brass wire or a cable tie end up through the drain points of the sills to make sure it's properly draining down there.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    No it doesn't have a sunroof. Good idea about the drain points.