Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Nexus 5

Rides

Google Nexus 5

Ok, after you have all picked yourselves up off the floor... shock, AshT wants an Android phone.....

Considering the Nexus 5 is rumoured to be released shortly... where will be the best place to get one of these bad boys from?

Rides
    Google Play Store will likely be the most convenient / cheapest...

Lotsa nice things coming from google soon - google hangouts will have SMS integration in the next few days, so turns into a real iMessage competitor - so SMS to non hangouts users, free messages to others that are using it. And unlike iMessage it's cross platform (there's a hangout client for IOS, you can send messages via the web on gmail, or using a jabber client on most desktops), had video calling built in etc etc...

Rides
    Google play store. Not locked to any network and probably going to be the cheapest way of getting the phone. I am waiting for the release to get one.

Rides
    Finally the wrappers are off the candy bar

https://play.google.com/store/device...s_5_black_16gb

I'm going to go for the 32GB one since no SD Card slot (I like to load the phones up with music)

Rides
    Just bought the 32GB version too. I like to load up on apps...and everything else Especially pictures.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Lotsa nice things coming from google soon - google hangouts will have SMS integration in the next few days, so turns into a real iMessage competitor - so SMS to non hangouts users, free messages to others that are using it. And unlike iMessage it's cross platform (there's a hangout client for IOS, you can send messages via the web on gmail, or using a jabber client on most desktops), had video calling built in etc etc...
    I would like it if they just got hangouts to work reliably instead of delaying messages for up to 4hrs at random

Rides
    Mine seems to work fine? Both phone to phone and from gmail to phone? The nexus4 has an issue where it'll drop off the data network due to buggy qualcomm (?) network drivers, other than that I've not had any problems..

Rides
    WOuldnt worry too much about inbuilt or expansion memory to be honest as you can easily use google drive (or similar), the htc one is due a jelly and sense 5.5 update now that also brings 40-50Gb of google drive space.

Rides
    HTC one is due the Kitkat within 90 days. If you have the google play edition 15 days.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/31/h...ndroid-kitkat/

Rides
    Yeah the one is due kitkat soon, the nexus 5 comes with it.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Mine seems to work fine? Both phone to phone and from gmail to phone? The nexus4 has an issue where it'll drop off the data network due to buggy qualcomm (?) network drivers, other than that I've not had any problems..
    It didn't work reliably on my HTC (still doesn't as Mam has that handset now) and still doesn't on either the S4 for me or the S4m for Gwyn. My brother has issues with it on his One X and my sister has occasionally had days of issues with it on her Nex4. It isn't brilliant on mobile. Works okay on a PC though Just Just don't use the video calling function as the current version can't end calls.

Rides
    You can pick uP from some car phone warehouse stores right now but looks like no 32gb models

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant teSte View Post
    Just Just don't use the video calling function as the current version can't end calls.
    Weird - works fine for me, no real delays, video calling works OK, never had a problem with it failing to end calls... (between PC / Nexus4 (cyanogenmod 10.1) / Nexus 4 (Google 4.3) / HTC Desire (Gingerbread )

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant teSte View Post
    I would like it if they just got hangouts to work reliably instead of delaying messages for up to 4hrs at random
    I know I sound biased. but consider out of 10 billion plus messages a day, the average response time is 30 seconds for a reply...... BBM

I will be using BBM, but on Android

Rides
    I am tempted by this phone and such a good price as well..

My HTX one X is getting on a bit now and bashed up haha..

Rides
    I've already ordered

Rides

Exclamation

Can't use mine for another few days . Requires a mIcro sim card so ordered that from o2.

Rides
    The gf got her N5 today from Google, 32gb in white. She was quick off the mark ordering it when it was first put on Google Play for purchase.
    I've had a play with it and its a very nice phone, lighter than my Galaxy Nexus, bigger screen but the actual size of the phone is the same. I couldn't see any major changes in the OS apparently its all memory management tweaks. the biggest change you will see is the Messaging app is gone... instead you use the Hangouts app and if you message someone and they are online on Google Hangouts it will send the message via that first and then SMS 2nd (never used iMessage, is that the same?)

Anyway, i've already got mine on order to replace my Galaxy Nexus and it certainly seems like a good upgrade.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by uk86ze View Post
    Can't use mine for another few days . Requires a mIcro sim card so ordered that from o2.
    Cut the sim you have down, there are loads of guides online. That's what I did when I for my Nexus 4.

Rides
    Cant an O2 store swap sims for you there and then?