Thread: Skyline GTR diff swap advice

Rides

Skyline GTR diff swap advice

There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice / opinions on this throughout t'internet so thought i would try and get a definitive answer.

I'm looking to do a GTR diff and driveshaft swap on my S14.
    Can anyone advise exactly what i will need to do this.

I currently have a Z32 gearbox and Mazworx one piece ally prop which bolts up to the standard S14 manual diff.

Can i use the R32 or R33 diff and driveshafts?
    What are the differences between 32 and 32 diffs and driveshafts if any.
    Will it bolt straight up to my prop?
    Is there anything specific i need to look for when purchasing (vspec diff, Nismo diff) etc etc etc.
    What will i need to be able to fit the driveshafts (new wheel bearings etc).
    Will i need to swap any diff internals around or will it be a bolt in job?

I think the R32 GTR one is 4.111 ratio - is the R33 the same?

I know absolutely diddly squat about diffs so please explain in idiot English for me

Thanks and sorry if i have missed the answer when searching.

Rides
    Bump for any info ?

Rides
    Ok, as I understand it the GTR diff has the short nose casing without the ABS sensor, so you'll need to do something about that if you want to keep the ABS and not mess around with the prop.

Wheel bearings need to be swapped out for GTR ones (or I've heard you can use 350Z driveshafts as a direct fit alternative?)

Rides
    having done this both on my old S13 and my current S15 there are a couple of ways you can do this.

as mentioned the GTR diff does not have the ABS sensor on the front nose of the diff as they are installed on rear back plate. GTR abs rings are on the half shafts and uses 2 sensor.

if you swap the entire diff inc housing over (as I did on my s13) you will need to get a prop shaft made as the yoke is totally different to the S14 one which mines you will probably need the GTR prob as well to cut up.

alternatively you can swap the diff and half shafts over to your casing (and change the final drive if you wish) which solves the diff drive issue.

you will need the driveshaft and rear hubs off a GTR though as the flanges on the half shafts are different to stock S14 ones and the shafts are thicker so don't fit into the S14 hub/wheel bearings. Not sure on the 350z shafts though.

Rides
    Thanks guys.

I should have mentioned that i ditched my ABS many many years ago. I like the Skyline ABS as it one per rear wheel so if i could retain that i could use it to run RLTC in the future.
    The only thing i don't want to have to do is cut up my prop if possible. Is it possible to change the 'nose' from the stock diff into the GTR diff and not touch anything else.
    I need to work out gearing but i think that 4.1 will suit me quite well so not bothered too much about changing ratio's

Thanks

Rides
    You need to swap the input flange on the diff, then at the very least I think you'll need a prop spacer:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/gt-1-motorsp...ar-spacer.html

Rides
    Is it relatively easy to swap the input shafts?

I guess you are saying that a GTR rear diff (ABS) has a shorter input shaft position than an S14 diff (ABS).

If that's all that needs swapping then i think i can probably manage that.

Thanks

Rides
    Never done it, just know that the diff is shorter, so you'll likely need a prop spacer.

Rides
    OK thanks ABT.

Rides
    This is not a GTR diff but can anyone with more knowledge than me tell if this will bolt straight in from this picture?

Its from an R33 GTS4 i believe. The output shafts look correct from memory but no idea about the input shaft.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Nath

Rides
    Forgot to add a picture