Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a cordless drill/driver

Rides

Recommend me a cordless drill/driver

As above!
    I'm fed up with trailing a daisy chain of extension leads round my garden/house. My trusty Bosch's batteries died a few years ago and I never replaced them, as it was a NiCad, and not super powerful.
    I don't need hammer action, as I've got a decent corded on for that, but want something dependable.
    Li-Ion or NiMH as I just can't be arsed with NiCads, especially as it'll be quite often left for a while without using.
    For general use, so, err, making holes, as well as driving big fat screws into timber and stuff. I've got a scabby old corded one for polishing duties etc.

Budget is about a ton.

I'm guessing even the base DeWalt, Makita, and Hitachis would be a good bet in this range?

Was looking at something like one of these:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/43195

Rides
    I can only recomend Dewalt ... purely becuase I bought an 18v drill about 7 years ago now .... and its still working hard.

my only real recomendation is make sure you get a couple of batteries ..... thats the clincher in my book, they always run out about 3 screws from the end of a job .. having a spare is a life saver

Rides
    Makita and lithium batteries

Rides
    It's Makita all the way for me, try and find a special offer for a Li-ion powered one and as said definitely get two batteries.
    Although saying that I bought my dad their top o' the line 50th anniversary edition with one single 3ah battery which lasts forever and charges in less time that it takes to make a cuppa so having two batteries is kind of unnecessary. Those big power batteries may be out of your budget though.

Rides
    JCB from B&Q is the one i went for like this one http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-too...skuId=12688243

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-too...HP_ProductBox1 Special offer finishes today SI

Rides
    my standing recommendation is for makita stuff. my grinder and drill take absolutely punishing tasks and are still going strong.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I have one of these, hasn't failed at any jobs yet (screwing stuff together, drilling holes through walls, drilling holes in metal etc)...
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...Drills-_-DC100

Its not got Li-on batteries, but so far its been fine with the Ni-Cd ones.
    Having the LED on it is very handy for lighting up what your trying to drill.

Gf's dad is a kitchen/bathroom fitter and uses Makita stuff, it lasts forever even with the constant use he makes of it. However a lot of the Makita ones don't seem to have the LED's on them any more so thats why I went for a DeWalt.
    bovvered?

Rides
    Milwaukee always get good reviews aswell as hilti and some of the new hitachi stuff coming through is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Rides
    Dewalt and Black & Decker are made in the same factory. Dewalt is just a brand for Black & Decker Professional and Industrial tools.

Saying that, my Dewalt Drill gets a spanking and is still going strong, as is my Makita. Which one was the best value for money? Makita as they sent me the Drill kit for free

Rides
    My DeWalt 18V combi has been going strong for 9yrs and showing no signs of letting go - a decent 2 battery set up should be available for a ton

if it's SDS cordless you need then get a second hand Hilti 36V

Rides
    I've had the hitachi one in the first link for over a year now and given it loads of abuse in work (including mixing 30kg bags of concrete grout with a paddle) and it's still going strong. Makita are still the best though!

Rides
    Thats odd because i have the one in the top link for about 2 years and its total shit. The batterys are weak and the torque adjuster now turns round further than it should and it started making a weird high pitch noise. Also its not balanced very well and needs a 3ah battery to feel right. Saying that its probably a good drill for a DIYer or if you dont use it to much. I know I will be spending a bit more on its replacment
    Last edited by Hachi Roku; 21-10-2013 at 19:19.

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Dewalt and Black & Decker are made in the same factory.
    That's believable ... My parents bought me a black and decker corded drill when I left home one 20 years ago .... That's still going strong and happiy put a feck off great drill bit through both walls of a 1930s cavity brick and block house last month

Rides
    I'm in the same boat. I keep hearing Dewalt or Makita when I have discussed it elsewhere.

Rides
    I had a black and decker cordless given to me once - £60ish model and it was cack, mainly the battery life and power output.

The overall build was ok but the length of time it could be used was very poor

Rides
    Hitachi are currently the tool of choice for dry liners and ceiling lads round here.

Im a big AEG fan myself.

And everyone else i know uses Makita (don't buy cheap though you will be disappointed)
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    When I was 'on the tools' for cordless stuff it was always Makita (or Hilti if you were posh) with the odd spattering of dewalt and Hitachi, as has been saidabove dryliners did increasingly start using the Hitachi stuff.

I've got two Makitas, both have been dropped from height off scaffolding, used in the rain, used as hammers, taken heavy abuse from neanderthol builders and just generally used constantly for 8-10 hours a day and they both still work fine.

Rides
    I'd definitely try to go lithium if you can - it's great not having the battery self-discharge while the drill's in the cupboard between jobs, particularly for a DIY'er rather than a pro who's going to be charging it and using it daily.

Ni-MH is even worse than nicad for self discharge - unless anyone's doing a drill with the modern LSD Ni-MH chemistry...

My DeWalt is brilliant but is over your budget and does more than you need.

Rides
    Sell a kidney and buy one of these; http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb...i-11352-ocs-p/

I use one at work and its an absolute animal!

Max torque is quoted as 78Nm....Thats more than a Honda CBR600 engine produces!!!........(i know, i know, torque vs rpm Blah Blah, but its still impressive!)
    Last edited by hooky; 22-10-2013 at 12:33.