Thread: Scimitar Sabre Turbo

Rides

Scimitar Sabre Turbo

some of you may remember by 'proper' Scimitar hillclimber
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...de+hillclimber
    which got severely damaged in 2009 its undergoing the worlds longest rebuild, in fact so little of it will stay the same, its really a new build, but I digress.
    In the last 4 years, 2 kids have come along and along with my brother, I now run the family firm, so the racer rebuild is taking forever. My wife suggested I was getting a grumpy barsteward as I wasn't competing any longer, so I should buy a toy to play with until the racers ready, just to get me out of her hair!

having looked at a load of 7Types, kits, more TVRs etc a good friend of mine, the legendary Stew B, decided to move on his Sabre Turbo, so I snapped it up
    Essentially this is the later version of my old car, a 1993 all GRP bodied Sabre MK2. Stew had built it as a roadgoing version of my old racer really but as a proper Q car. No visible body mods except a set of bling 17" wheels.

what sets it apart from the factory version, is that instead of a 1400cc Rover K series, Stew fitted this one with a nicely specced and built CA18DET

basic spec is Forgies, HKS MHG, ARP mains and headbolts, lightened fly, Pauter rods, Autosprint cams, GT turbo (2835 0r 3071ish-cant remember), Emerald M3DK3 ecu, s14 box, cossie LSD, Merc 285mm brakes, full 6 point cage, Elise leather seats, Elise & STACK gauges, 044 pump, chargecooler.

basic numbers are 1060kg and 361hp.

the cars fully road legal and a hoot on the road :-) although its mainly being used for sprints and hills. Plan is to go for a championship campaign in it next season.

youtube from Shelsley walsh hillclimb recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmGPmwUjaC8
    Last edited by CNHSS1; 16-10-2013 at 14:16.

Rides
    Looks like fun

Rides
    Thats the skiprats old car.

Rides
    thats an awesome spec .... I want

shame the wheels loko like that though ... it makes the car look like one of those god awful cartoon pictures of cars where it has oversized wheels at silly angles

Stick some decent wheels on there .. bit smaller and less halfords and that would look as good as it went

Rides
    well spotted that man, yep skiprat had it before Stew when it was a K series.

Rides
    currently runs 15" BBS with soft R888s for the track if the wheels upset you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rides
    but will be wearing these next season, my 15" Image Billet splitties...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CNHSS1 View Post
    well spotted that man, yep skiprat had it before Stew when it was a K series.
    Well i cant say i totally spotted it... i saw the pics, shouted out "Fvck me i think i recognize that Scim"
    And a grumpy voice from the other side of the room said "yeah it was mine, has he still got the boggin wheels on it"
    Last edited by sideways14a; 16-10-2013 at 15:00.

Rides
    How come it's running a charge cooler, is there just simply not enough room for a front mount?

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Bring on the vids

Rides
    regarding the proper wheels wheels

OM NOMNOM NOM NOM

much better .. thank you

Rides
    having never seen one of these before i happened to end up behind one on my way home yesterday, The original wheels were so thin it looked like it would fall over! This is a cool project though and the splitties look the tits!

Rides
    lol, I didn't realise skiprat was on here, I knew him thru the scimitar site, say Hi for me

Rides
    Bet that goes well!

Rides
    RK

Stew B is a stickler for OEM type running and a chargecooler is a very efficient way of controlling the temps as you can vary its cooling abilities. Basically pootling round town is OK on a small IC, but for giving it bih=g licks on track you need a bigger one with greater volume and usually a good flow of air and exit paths. Chargecooler gives same colling as a BIG I/c but without the need for chopping of bodywork.
    Chargecooler rad is a bit OTT, its a Golf TDi main water rad! That sits in front of the cars engine rad which is off an Iveco truck!! weve done test days in it, given passenger track rides all day and inlet temps are rock steady even with stop start nature.

johnny
    glad you are liking the rims

baz, yep factory was 14" x5.5" or if you were lucky, the optional 7x15"--wow!!

Vigilant

what vids you want? got some Curboro, bit of Loton Park and incar + the youtube link in first post from Shelsley. will have incar from Castle Combe after Saturday too (fingers crossed I don't stack it!)

Rides
    1069kg and 361bhp is an awesome combination!!