Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Project gripper

Rides
    Well it's been awhile.since I been on here and a few things have happened. I sent parts off to zircotec for coating in the end, made more sense in the long run

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Got everything bolted up, made an intake pipe, downpipe, wastegate back into downpipe and it was ready for base map

Rides
    Away it went to Gary at apt. Engine, gearbox, turbo all worked well, but we ran into a few issues. Can't get the boost down below 1.5bar, even though it's a 1bar spring. And with the standard intake plenum with larger throttle body and 740cc Injectors we ran out of fuel at 4500 at 1.5bar, did 350bhp at 4k rpm but the walbro wasn't man enough. So we went away with a plan. New intake, 1050cc injectors, new fuel.system to come.

Rides
    So I got it home, stripped it down and sent it for paint

Rides
    And when it came back, the paint work was unbelievable. This colour suits it so well with the carbon sills, and other black details, along with the new addition of the rear diffuser

Rides
    So now the paint is done it was time to start sorting the issues ready for a proper map doing, gathering the parts needed. And the first part has just turned up. This otaku garage intake plenum with 76mm throttle body and top feed rail ready for the 1050cc injectors is a beautiful piece and I can't wait to get it fitted

Rides
    Wow that’s a stunning piece! Was shipping reasonable from Australia?

Rides
    We got 2 so got a decent deal with shipping. They worked out surprisingly cheap.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonsx View Post
    We got 2 so got a decent deal with shipping. They worked out surprisingly cheap.

They seem too good to be true at the price. Just trying to do my research as don’t want to loose mid range in my build and some seem to attribute short port plenums to doing that.

Rides
    Need to get out and get some miles on this now it's built then can get it back on Dyno for map and IL be able to give you more info then

Rides
    Away it went to Gary at apt. Engine, gearbox, turbo all worked well, but we ran into a few issues. Can't get the boost down below 1.5bar, even though it's a 1bar spring. And with the standard intake plenum with larger throttle body and 740cc Injectors we ran out of fuel at 4500 at 1.5bar, did 350bhp at 4k rpm but the walbro wasn't man enough. So we went away with a plan. New intake, 1050cc injectors, new fuel.system to come.
    That'll be boost creep from the APW manifold. Option 1) Run a massive 60mm WG or option 2) Run 2 WG's or option 3) Buy a proper manifold. Have a look on my project build for more info.

Not sure why you ran out of fuel either. I have a SR20de 60mm TB on stock plenum, 740cc injectors, Walbro 255 pump and a Sard AFPR and I'm making 400bhp+ at 1.4/1.7bar (depends what my APW manifold wants to run which is weather dependent).
    Last edited by BLAKTOOTH; 02-01-2019 at 16:00.

Rides
    Unless my walbro isn't getting a decent voltage I need to run new wiring to it. I'm just going to do the fuel set up anyway as been on track id rather run the swirl pot for safety. Iv got away without one for years but for what it is il fit one and a Bosch 044. And Gary said it's like the turbo is trying to supply more air than the pump and injectors can keep up with. Are the apw manifolds known for the creep, that's abit of a ball ache then. Guess a big wastegate is the answer to that. What gate you running.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Awesome build, had only heard god d things about apw manifolds until reading the above. Look forward to seeing what the new setup can make.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Unless my walbro isn't getting a decent voltage I need to run new wiring to it. I'm just going to do the fuel set up anyway as been on track id rather run the swirl pot for safety. Iv got away without one for years but for what it is il fit one and a Bosch 044. And Gary said it's like the turbo is trying to supply more air than the pump and injectors can keep up with. Are the apw manifolds known for the creep, that's abit of a ball ache then. Guess a big wastegate is the answer to that. What gate you running.

Nowt wrong with going with an external pump and pot. Will be doing the same at some point just for piece of mind.

I had no issues at all with my Greddy manifold as far as holding boost anway. Problem was it was made from tin foil so kept cracking. As soon as I fitted an APW manifold I had boost creep. I tried new vac lines, new boost solenoid, new WG, modified the WG postition and nothing cured it. Did some research and turns out it's down to poor manifold design. Gases can't turn 90 without a little persuasion so I've had a new manifold made up with a cast merge collector. The cast collector feeds the WG properly so should eliminate the boost creep. Haven't fitted it yet but honestly I've exhausted all other options.

I have a Turbosmart Hyper-gate 45. Should be more than adequate if installed correctly. If you go bigger you'll need a bigger port coming off your manifold. Or you could have another added and run two 45's. Personally I'd do what I did and have a manifold made around the collector. A collector that's been designed to eliminate creep and flows correctly. It even says in the WG instructions the importance of the manifold design.
    Last edited by BLAKTOOTH; 21-07-2021 at 16:32.

Rides
    Well that helps me from chasing my arse trying to figure it out then. They where all things I was going to have to try, but it's just a pain in the arse doing them all haha. Look forward to seeing your new manifold design and review for sure. Another guy I know has a mazworx kit, standard intake, larger throttle body, 740cc injectors and runs 500bhp on it. Hence why I left the intake as it was, I thought it would of been fine for what I needed. But never mind. I'd put the intake on eventually so may aswell do it all before goes back for mapping

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Awesome build, had only heard god d things about apw manifolds until reading the above. Look forward to seeing what the new setup can make.
    Cheers Chris. Just need to get some miles on the engine and fit the new bits then we can see where it gets us

Rides
    Well that helps me from chasing my arse trying to figure it out then. They where all things I was going to have to try, but it's just a pain in the arse doing them all haha. Look forward to seeing your new manifold design and review for sure. Another guy I know has a mazworx kit, standard intake, larger throttle body, 740cc injectors and runs 500bhp on it. Hence why I left the intake as it was, I thought it would of been fine for what I needed. But never mind. I'd put the intake on eventually so may aswell do it all before goes back for mapping

You're welcome. Daz has the same maniold and the same issue. Would've thought APT would've known/guessed but hey-ho! My tuner said it right at the start (wished I'd listened to him then instead of chasing my arse).

Rides
    To be fair it was first thing Gary said but he said there was other things it could be also to try that's not as drastic as binning the new manifold that has just been ceramic coated

Rides
    To be fair it was first thing Gary said but he said there was other things it could be also to try that's not as drastic as binning the new manifold that has just been ceramic coated

Yeah sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That's some lovely coating you're about to ruin.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Yeah sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That's some lovely coating you're about to ruin.