Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Pistols

Rides

Air Pistols

My girlfriend has expressed an interest in in shooting air pistols again. Apparently she did it yonks ago. So i was thinking of getting her one for her birthday. I have absolutely no knowledge about these and left to my own devices i will just buy a Desert Eagle replica.

Does anyone know anything about them? Need some thing she can shoot at home as well as maybe club days and guessing beginner level guns in the region of £100ish mark.

Getting your gf a gun for her birthday may seem very redkneck/hilly billy thing to do but I live on the Isle of Wight

Rides
    I as looking into this over summer. I was looking at one of these for £120ish: http://www.replicaairguns.com/posts/...un-review.html

More of a plinker than serious target shooting. Target shooting guns will cost a fair bit, like the HW45 at £299: http://www.pellpax.co.uk/air-pistols

Rides
    I'd dig a bit deeper and go for a Webley Alecto

Rides
    If I lived on the isle of wight I would look at getting proper center fire pistol. Air pistols are limited to 6ft pounds, unless its air or co2 operated you will suffer recoil.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I'd dig a bit deeper and go for a Webley Alecto
    Very nice, but at this stage I'm not sure it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog1982 View Post
    If I lived on the isle of wight I would look at getting proper center fire pistol.
    I'm sorry what does this mean?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ben8000 View Post
    Very nice, but at this stage I'm not sure it is worth it.
    Have a look at the Tempest in that case

Rides
    Hey, might have got it wrong but in the isle of man and jersey full bore pistols were never banned like they were on the mainland UK. I am talking about any cartridge operated pistol, 357 magnum, 9mm etc. .22lr pistol shooting is great fun and very cheap.

Rides
    Pretty sure the IOW is the same as the mainland UK, Isle of Man & Jersey fall under separate rulings and can set laws for themselves (massively simplified version, but don't have time to look it all up!) Hence why in the IOM they have de-restricted roads etc.

Rides
    Guy is right. Isle of Wight is exactly the same as mainland UK. Cheers Ben will do.

Rides
    What sort of thing does she want to shoot at and at what range? Pellet or BB? If its cans at 10ft then any old crap will do, if paper targets at 30ft then you'll need to buy something decent. If you want something accurate then I'd forget multishot CO2 BB pistols, they come into the first category. They are fun for a bit blasting away at cans but I found they get boring when you cant hit anything at an impressive range/size.
    Pump up pistols are easest to shoot (no recoil) and generally pretty accurate although not always particularly powerful. Ive got an Alecto and It constantly impresses me how accurate it is. Up to 3 pumps so power can be varied (2.5/5/5.5 ft/lbs energy) and the trigger is pretty nice with adjustment, they can be had for around £150 second hand. I did consider the HW45 is also very accurate but recoils being a spring gun. It felt top heavy to me and is more expensive than the Alecto.

For sub £100, I'd go for one of these http://www.fishingmegastore.com/beem...177~14206.html. They dont have much power but are accurate and the trigger is reasonable as they are a cheap copy of the Weihrauch HW40. The price has dropped on them too, they were £90ish not long ago. They need a bit of servicing now and then as seals tend to go on them but they are simple to strip and replace.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    Cheers Steve. some good info there. I'll have to try and get some more information out of her without arousing suspicion.

Rides
    Do air pistols in this country not have to be bright orange or something, Surely they can actually look like real 9mm ? those thing look like a real gun, I guess thats the idea but are they allowed to look like that in the UK ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbhp View Post
    Do air pistols in this country not have to be bright orange or something, Surely they can actually look like real 9mm ? those thing look like a real gun, I guess thats the idea but are they allowed to look like that in the UK ?
    Yes of course they can look like guns, as they are guns.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbhp View Post
    It seems that the law regarding Realistic Imitation Firearms only covers airsoft guns, air pistols aren't included.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    It seems that the law regarding Realistic Imitation Firearms only covers airsoft guns, air pistols aren't included.
    Yep, weird oddity in law that because airguns are legally classed as firearms (but not requiring a license) they can look like a 'proper' firearm but airsofts arent legally firearms so they cant look like firearms. I have a CO2 pistol that is a replica of a Walther P99 and from a few feet away you wouldnt be able to tell its not real. Its even actually made by Walther.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!

Rides
    So do you need some form of permit / licence for a airgun ?

Rides
    Only if it's a rifle with a muzzle energy over 12ftlb or a pistol over 6ftlb, then you need an FAC. Anything under this is fine to buy license-free by over 18's.

Rides
    Cool, whats better Co2 or Spring action. Co2 looks less messing around but is it better ?

Rides
    For me it would be spring or pneumatic, CO2 will just add to the overall cost.

Rides
    1st- Pneumatic charged from a divers bottle, 2nd- Pneumatic pump up, 3rd- Spring, 4th-CO2.

Have you found out what sort of pistol shooting she wants to do?