Thread: Cheesebert's Daily Drifter S14A

Rides

Cheesebert's Daily Drifter S14A

Hey folks, thought I would start a build thread, more of a progress thread really of my 14a.

I had an emerald green 14a a few years back but had to sell it as I couldn't really afford it at the time, then went through a whole bunch of other cars including a Supra, Impreza, BMW 328, Vitara and a 350Z, but nothing was as much fun as the 200.

I vowed never to get another UK car as I hate rust, so I was determined to find a rust free Silvia, so I ended up with this…

UK s14a, pretty much bog standard, 100,000 miles and almost full Nissan service history (winning)

It was relatively local and dirt cheap, so I took a punt on it, I knew it had a few rust related air holes but nothing serious.

So first thing first I got rid of the ghey baileys dump valve and did the pigeon mod, sounds soo much better.
    Then serviced the car, new plugs, oil and filter.
    Then it was time to replace the standard exhaust, wasn’t exactly solid, in fact the back box wasn’t even attached to the mid pipe, lol.

The guy I bought the car off also had a HKS Hi Power cat back exhaust for a bargain price of £150, it was in great condition so I snapped it up.
    Got it fitted along with a 3” elbow, downpipe and decat. Also made a wee bracket for the downpipe to bolt to the gearbox.

Decided to change the turbo gaskets at the same time, bought some braided lines as well.

The turbo was in good condition, probably because it had been ran at standard boost all its life… not for long though
    Now that there was no leaks in the exhaust, something else had to give

I did wonder why I was only boosting at 0.4 bar
    So I ripped that out, along with the AC, which was just blowing hot air anyway, and the carbon canister

Then decided to go for a mid-mount set up, seen a couple of other people doing and didn’t look too hard.

Finished product

Worked a treat, you can even feel the viscous fan pulling air through it
    Tidied up the edges with some boost pipe.

At the same time, as I had the front end off, I decided to remove the fog lights and relocate the indicators to the side lights, looks much tidier imo, I’ll tidy up the front bumper one day.

Also fitted an adjustable HKS actuator and set the boost to a bar then fitted a HKS FCD, Was running great.
    I was signed up for the next SXOC Crail day, stripped the rear interior and got my drift wheels ready and a general tidy up of the car, I decided the night before the drift day to give the car a little shake down only to find my clutch was slipping gutted was an understatement.

Managed to sell my space for the drift day and ordered up a new stage 3 XTD clutch and lightweight flywheel.

So the next weekend I went down to the girlfriends house where her dad has a sweet 4 post lift and changed the clutch.
    Old clutch out

Was going pretty smoothly until the box rolled on its side and emptied its contents onto the floor

so picked up some Comma gear oil, heard good things about it and it was way cheaper than the Nissan stuff.

No further issues after that
    New flywheel in

Clutch and cover on

got it all back together and went for a wee drive, perfect.

Not the worst job in the world running in the clutch with scenery like this
    Then it was time for beer

Decided to give the seats a clean as they were pretty dirty, cleaned up pretty well

More updates to come
    Last edited by Cheesebert; 30-09-2013 at 22:14.

Rides
    Decided my car had looked like a tractor for long enough, as comfy as the standard shocks and springs are.
    Took the drivers side wing off to tuck the wiring loom up before lowering it.

Decided to go with Daiyama coilovers, great price and the quality seems very good too.

Fitted them along with some Apex bushed camber and traction arms on the rear and 25mm hubcentric spacers all round. Fitted some steering rack spacers too for a bit of extra lock. Got the car 4 wheel laser aligned too.

Rolling the arches didn't go very smoothly, mainly because my arches are made almost completely of cheese, I think I'm going to need some overfenders

I bought some new wheels too, XXR 530's, 17" x 9.75" all round, SRB did a group buy so would have been rude not too

Quite please with how it looks, still needs some tweaking.

Rides
    Nice to see this getting some first mods. I wish I bought a standard S14 and carried out the modifications first instead of buying one already done!

It looks pretty scratched though, on the front wings? Maybe time for a detail/paint correction?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross. View Post
    Nice to see this getting some first mods. I wish I bought a standard S14 and carried out the modifications first instead of buying one already done!

It looks pretty scratched though, on the front wings? Maybe time for a detail/paint correction?
    Yeah it's not the cheapest way to do it that's for sure, but it is good to know it's been done right

Yeah the paintwork is pretty poor, definitely, but no point doing anything to the current wings as they will be getting changed shortly

Rides
    Need to try keep this up to date

So I finally went drifting I had an absolute blast, it was an SXOC drift day at Crail, by far the best value for money drift day around, so much seat time and there were times when I was the only person on track, managed to destroy 12 tyres Car ran like a dream all day, I was so happy with it, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Thanks to all the photographers.

Towards the end of the day I was trying to get closer to a few of my friends, it was great fun, roll on the next day.

This is my personal favorite photo of the day, trying to get close to my friend Graeme in his nice beemer, he was on great form all day.

Since then I haven't really done too much recently, the pish Aberdeen weather really drains all motivation of doing anything at all to it, plus being a daily means all jobs have to either be done in a night or over the weekend, a second motor may be on the cards anyway enough moaning.

The aux belts were looking pretty tired and cracked, so swapped then out, piece of piss to do.

After the drift day my turbo elbow gasket started to blow so I decided to try something a bit different, got Mark (redsx94! on the board) to weld a flexi between the elbow and downpipe, he was a bit surprised when I asked him to hack up an almost new and perfect condition elbow and downpipe but he make a great job of it.

bolted it all together

and fitted it, worked a treat , cheers again Mark

The bodywork is really poor and starting to get on my tits, so I've purchased some overfenders for the front. (excuse the shit photo)

Need to pick up a set of rears too, can't decide if I should get them painted by a pro or buy myself a gun and have a crack at it myself

Rides
    Nice work dude. Looking forward to more updates.