Thread: 2 Jobs kinda thing - advice

Rides

2 Jobs kinda thing - advice

Hey all, stab in the dark, so hoping for a bit of advice, just in case I am thinking over the top!

I work for Company A, providing IT support.
    Company A will soon split, i'll continue to be employed by Company A..

7 people from Company A are forming there own company, call it Company B.. (hence the split). The 2 companies in essence will remain friendly, as they will kinda work together, not compete with each other...

Now, Company B are asking if I can provide IT support, providing evening & weekend cover, to which in theory, could only amount to only 30 minutes of support a month going on history supporting these 7 people..... (could be more, you never know!). My support would always be from my home, never using anything from Company A...

As I am employed by Company A, my work hours are 9-5, Mon to Fri, i'm never on call, never contacted out of work, and do not work overtime either.

Would I be in the wrong for providing support to another company?
    I would not deal with any support stuff for Company B whilst in working hours for Company A..
    Unsure of tax implications working for a 2nd company, as I wouldn't be an employee for Company B, I would be providing a service, so I guess I would need to create a ltd company for billing purposes ? (although I would probably only charge £100 per month support).

Any advice on what to do, etc ?

Rides
    Speak to A about it, if they are ok with it then i cant see there being an issue.

Rides
    It depends what it says in your contract with Company A.

It's fairly likely that you'll have to declare your 2nd job and get approval from Company A.

Rides
    sounds fair enough....
    cheers
    I got the impression that the guy for Company B would probably want to do cash in hand style support until they get themselves proper sorted.......

Rides
    by the time you've been taxed on £100 per month is it worth it for the extra hassle?
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    My contract and the code of conduct I have to sign each year (I work for IT bigness with all the corporate BS BTW) states any other jobs in IT have to be approved in writing by HR because of possible conflict of interest. Partner company involvement is no exemption

I would run it through proper channels unless company B can promise you a full time role if it goes sh!tshaped

Rides
    hey all
    would appear my boss doesn't have an issue providing evening/wkend support to someone else, as long as it doesn't interfere with my day job.....
    Will be a legit thing, so I guess I will be doing a tax return at the end of the year.......

Next hurdle, what to charge....
    I'll be contactable via email (24/7), just no response to emails whilst i'm in Job A....... as well as contactable via phone from 5:30pm to 11:30pm and all weekend......
    For these guys, its more about having me if they need me, and I guess contact would be at a minimum based on past trends.......
    To provide them with email and shared central storage (without using AD or hosting something from my house), its gonna cost £170 pm based on 7 users....
    Then there's my 'support' fee to go in with.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!
    If they went to a small outsource business, I wonder what they would charge with an SLA of 4hrs/8hrs for out of hours support ?

My pals reckon I go in at £600 a month expecting to be knocked down to £500. So works out to be £330 or £430 (guess I lose 32% in deductions) per month to be on call......
    Sound OK maybe ?