Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back end stepped out for the first time. Pucker factor 7.

Rides

Back end stepped out for the first time. Pucker factor 7.

Basically the title, picked up a lovely s14a (Stage 1a, HSD's etc) on Tuesday, been driving it very cautiously for the first few days, tonight on the way back home from a friends house, (I Should note at this point, completely empty, wide A road, I'm not a complete reprobate) having a bit of spirited driving, getting a feel for the car around corners, (exiting mainly).

Came up to a roundabout, shifted down to 2nd (Going about 15-20 mph), exit the corner with a reasonable amount of throttle and the back end steps out (Drift bible flashes before my eyes), (Unfortunately, it's the bit with the MR2) starts to slide at a little angle, I counter steer, and let off, snaps twice and recovers after I let off and stop sliding around on black (and now also brown) leather.

Drive very cautiously back home (About 1/2 a mile of A-road)
    Get out, with a mixture of awesomeness and fear, very surreal feeling...

I'm hoping at least now I have a good grasp of how the back end feels to step out, more practice needed for sure.

Any advice for how you guys overcome this?

Any entertaining storys of your first time?

Beefy

Rides
    You'll probably spot it before it breaks away next time and become a total pussy on the throttle...

I haven't floored it off a roundabout for about 10 years.

Rides
    I would say, more seat time and practice, take it gradually and you'll be fine. No snappy movements.
    Last edited by snops; 06-09-2013 at 21:37.

Rides
    What I did on my first s13 was welded diff. Yes your car falls apart, but at least you allways have control over back end. I never lost control over my car.

Now after 5 years of driving a welded diff, I puted vlsd on my s14a(dont know if it works ok, but it was hard to turn it by hand when it was off the car), and I dont really like it. Yes it great for normal driving, parking lot, etc, but i notice that on the parking lot when you step on it, the back goes much faster and I dont feel I am in control as I was before. I dont know if thats true, or I get that feeling because I dont have that much understeer? Anyhow I would compare welded diff to drifting on snow. Its all smooth, and like in slow motion, there are no unespected movement.

I think I will start saving money for proper lsd 1.5 or 2way

Rides
    I Floor it off every roundabout. You will learn to judge it. Don't apply too much man foot. Be careful.

Rides
    Did you reach orgasim?

Rides
    i clutch kick it on the way into every roundabout, man up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran O'Quick View Post
    You'll probably spot it before it breaks away next time and become a total pussy on the throttle...

I haven't floored it off a roundabout for about 10 years.
    Tis what I am hoping, I needed to 'shit myself up' as it were. Was going to happen sooner or later, I expected it to kick out (wanted to kick it out at some point anyway) , but never driven a RWD car with so much potential, need to book at day at DWYB and let all the driftworks kiddys laugh at me fail.

Quote Originally Posted by doggy View Post
    What I did on my first s13 was welded diff. Yes your car falls apart, but at least you allways have control over back end. I never lost control over my car.
    I do have a welded, I'm sure thats what stopped me from going into the nearest curb sideways like a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Did you reach orgasim?
    Could of fooled someone if I had videoed it, I'm sure my 'ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit' face is the same as my 'sex face'

Rides
    The main thing you did wrong there is you let off the throttle. Thats what causes the arse end to snap back on you. Either just ease off the throttle or keep your foot in
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    Yup, similar as the first time mine did that. Keep you foot on the throttle and the slide will run out and the car will want to go back to a straight line.

Did you poop your pants .

Rides
    Maybe worth getting rear camber checked.

A high grip surface has been put on 2 junctions I go though on daily trip to work. It was so much fun having fun in front of EVOs, Quattros and FWD TT.

One paint spot roundabout that was really slippery is now kerbed. No fun at all.

Rides
    I had a 2.8 Capri as my third ever car (out of about 25 to date), that taught me all about powersliding. I wouldn't want to have learned in a 200, far too snappy.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    This thread is making me miss driving the SX

Rides
    Definately get to a drift day, great fun! Keep your foot planted and manjii away.

Rides
    As above lifting off is the worse thing to do. Either makes the drift longer or can create a pendulum effect.

My first s13 i crashed after 24 hours of ownership. Went into a roundabout too quick. Thought i was dk and spun it into a tree. Get yourself to a drift day and learn to control the slide.

After a few of them it will make you able to control how and when you want to slide. You can also feel well before it steps out to let you know how much grip you have left.

if everything goes tits up. A safe idea is normally dip the clutch in. It will snap but normally it will just pull the car straight.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    ...unless it's an auto in which case you are along for the ride and hope your throttle control is up to how much space you have

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    Basically the title, picked up a lovely s14a (Stage 1a, HSD's etc) on Tuesday, been driving it very cautiously for the first few days, tonight on the way back home from a friends house, (I Should note at this point, completely empty, wide A road, I'm not a complete reprobate) having a bit of spirited driving, getting a feel for the car around corners, (exiting mainly).

Came up to a roundabout, shifted down to 2nd (Going about 15-20 mph), exit the corner with a reasonable amount of throttle and the back end steps out (Drift bible flashes before my eyes), (Unfortunately, it's the bit with the MR2) starts to slide at a little angle, I counter steer, and let off, snaps twice and recovers after I let off and stop sliding around on black (and now also brown) leather.

Drive very cautiously back home (About 1/2 a mile of A-road)
    Get out, with a mixture of awesomeness and fear, very surreal feeling...

I'm hoping at least now I have a good grasp of how the back end feels to step out, more practice needed for sure.

Any advice for how you guys overcome this?

Any entertaining storys of your first time?

Beefy
    Mine owned it like a boss my missis launched it into the woods on The Shinfield Road were they built the new houses.

Rides
    Good work! Lol. Get yourself along to a DWYB and learn the car. Dont worry about looking like a n00b, everyones in the same boat and very friendly. Also for roundabout practice, wait until its wet. Much less grip, much slower, much more time to react. Glad you are enjoying it

Rides
    Yes, seriously need to get myself down to some DWYB days, there is an Airfield in Abingdon, Oxfordshire that does track days, going to ring up and see how they feel about drifting. Might even ask if they fancy doing a club/corporate type of event.

Rides
    Mine done this a few days after ownership, was wet out and the back just completely stepped out. I steered into it and slowly let off and it came back quite smoothly. Luckily I was on a wide road and had space, it scared the shit out of me though.

I went to the biggest most remote open space I could find and had a bit of a play about, I'm much more comfortable with the car. Obviously I'm no DK and am still weary about the rear stepping out but I can predict it much better used to have my old car sideways all the time.

FWD lift off over steer is the easiest thing to control! Foot flat, steer into it a bit and laugh your socks off!