Thread: Strong smell of petrol?

Rides

Strong smell of petrol?

Hey all,

When my car is on, more so when driving their is a strong smell of petrol. Its been like this for a while and I should probably find out what it is. Its really strong when the windows go down, cant smell it too bad if the windows are up. It doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere. Could it be running really rich?(If so how would I fix that?)
    Anyone have any ideas what the problem would be?. Thanks in advance!

Rides
    I'm running rich.. with windows down after I have come off boost or just slowed after booting it I get a very strong smell of super.

I just asusme it's me running rich. Check the exhaust system and it's all tight and sealed . . Injectors seals are fine too .. couldn't find a leak anywhere :S

Ry

Rides
    Unburnt gasses could be finding there way up through the shifter mechanism, pack some additional rubber or material around it to see if it helps.

Ohh and make doubly sure its not leaking fuel as you really dont want a fireball.

Rides
    Its seems to be at all times, driving slow, not just jumping on it. The smell is coming from outside the car, only with windows down.

Rides
    Check the O-ring around the petrol pump seal, with the windows down in mine it circulated the air and petrol fumes around.

Check fuel filler neck where it meets the tank and the breather pipes, mine had corroded through so gasses where getting out all over the place.

Also do a quick check of all your fuel lines, connections/clips and also fuel rail/injectors for leaks

Rides
    As above check the o ring mine was gone no noticeable leak but strong smell of petrol changed it over problem sorted

Rides
    There is a change in air pressure inside the cabin when you open the windows, air can get sucked through from under the car through areas like the shifter hole.
    Check the exhaust is ok, if its running rich (as many SX's are due to boost leaks) and there is a small leak in the exhaust then this is where you would notice it.

Rides
    Oh alright, gotcha, I'll check that next time I'm able to. Thanks guys!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    Check the O-ring around the petrol pump seal, with the windows down in mine it circulated the air and petrol fumes around.

Check fuel filler neck where it meets the tank and the breather pipes, mine had corroded through so gasses where getting out all over the place.

Also do a quick check of all your fuel lines, connections/clips and also fuel rail/injectors for leaks
    I'd put my money on this, especially if someone has fitted a Walbro recently. The o-ring swells due to exposure to petrol and then won't reseal. The answer is to replace the o-ring or (pikey method) cut an inch out of the ring so it fits. If someone has done the pikey mod, they may have cut too much out in which case, option 1 is your only recourse.