Thread: Citroen C4 Picasso EGS Gearbox

Rides

Citroen C4 Picasso EGS Gearbox

The Knowledgeable SXOC

Looking at replacing our Xsara Picasso for a more modern C4 Grand Picasso (quite often we need an extra seat hence the grand), does anyone have any experiences with the EGS gearboxes as most of the vehicles with the spec I want have them, I would prefer a manual but there are few around. Looking at the 1.6hdi engine but would consider the 2.0hdi if it improves things.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by AP2; 29-08-2013 at 20:29.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Avoid. Next.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan@DB-Power View Post
    Avoid. Next.
    Are they really that bad Dan any particular reason?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    avoid that engine & that box. If you want to get one of these get 2l hdi & manual box

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by japmadlad View Post
    avoid that engine & that box. If you want to get one of these get 2l hdi & manual box
    Was interested in the 1.6 for its economy and low Road tax, I know about the horror stories relating to turbo's I believe this is due to long service intervals, I am looking at vehicles around the 30k with FSH and I plan on doing oil and filter every 12k or once a year as a minimum.

I have heard of leaky injectors but AFAIK this effects the 2ltr as well any other reasons to avoid? I also thought that this engine is the same as the ford 1.6?

Flamethrower
    Rides
    The boxes are jerky as hell and are really dangerous when pulling away on a hill.

Great idea just not built by the French

I can't really comment on the engine, the box is enough for me

Rides
    I would seriously doubt any claims that the 1.6 has better econamy than the 2.0l.
    Thats a big car which carries lots of stuff.

Probably in a lab on a rolling road, but stuff it full of people and luggage and you'll be thrashing the tits off it to go anywhere, while the 2.0l would be happy pottering along.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan@DB-Power View Post
    The boxes are jerky as hell and are really dangerous when pulling away on a hill.

Great idea just not built by the French

I can't really comment on the engine, the box is enough for me
    This, they are truly awful!

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    I would seriously doubt any claims that the 1.6 has better econamy than the 2.0l.
    Thats a big car which carries lots of stuff.

Probably in a lab on a rolling road, but stuff it full of people and luggage and you'll be thrashing the tits off it to go anywhere, while the 2.0l would be happy pottering along.
    This, same as a ML430 being better on fuel than a ML320. Maybe not on paper but in real life yes.

Rides
    So general consensus is 2ltr HDI with a manual box and just put up with the extra road tax/insurance.

Looks like I may be waiting a while for one to come up in the right spec then

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
    So general consensus is 2ltr HDI with a manual box and just put up with the extra road tax/insurance.

Looks like I may be waiting a while for one to come up in the right spec then
    If you for some reason have to go with Citroen's offerings then YES certainly,
    anything semi-auto/electronic controlled type gearbox made by citroen will bankrupt you when it breaks down and strands you on the motorway
    ,and it will go wrong! not maybe, it will fail
    In the Auto-gearbox trade Renault/Citroen admitted not long ago that over 50% of their automatic's don't get off the production line and have to be 'Pushed off',they are that bad
    and these were DPU's with normal gear selector's none of this extra electronic paddle's or 'fake' gear stick 'stuff'
    Valeo electronics/components are terrible ,,,,, the most unreliable by miles tbh
    Anything made in japan made will be way better for long term reliability and re-sale value imo
    I hate citroen I'm amazed they still sell cars/plastic vans with windows,and they are crap to work on,
    nothing is thought out it seems in the aspect of simply repairing the 'thing'
    just my honest 2p on them

EDIT: Out of curiosity I just googled the thread title with 'Problems' on the end and Oh my lord a 'Few' results came up
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ci...MNOh7Aaw1IDYDw
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 30-08-2013 at 11:50. Reason: Retarded boredom

Rides
    Im with Andy, hateful cars, avoid at all cost. The original picasso was cheap and pretty simple to repair, but newer ones are complicated and unrelible... like most PSA stuff!