Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My M

Rides
    Taken the plunge.

http://www.yellowspeedeurope.com/man...46-type-a.html

Sourced some hyundai drop links which should be suitable otherwise it's going to be a cut and shut job on the oe items until a suitable alternative can be found.

At this rate I might actually get a track day or 2 in before summer's over.

Also decided to go for studs and ditch the bolts.

Rides
    Changed my mind on the coilies after speaking to the manufacturer.

Going for the external reservior model now - http://www.yellow-speed.com/club-performance.php - they offer the greater structural properties of the premium competition but with a steel lower section (slightly increased weight) and slightly softer spring rate seeing as road use will outweigh track use.

Rides
    Just wondering. Did they say the top mounts will be offset to the rear as per oem? Noticed loads of coilovers come with centered camber adjustable mounts. Which lose you a degree of steering feel because of the lack of castor.

If you look on my thread the bc ones are offset for max caster and still camber adjustable.

Rides
    First chance i've had to read through this Paul. Cars looking good mate. Be interested to hear what you think of the coilovers as I can't say i've heard much about the Yellowspeed stuff.

R.e the AP brakes. What size discs are you running and what pads?
    Last edited by Mark D; 23-05-2015 at 22:02.

Rides
    I'd hazard a guess at oem sizes in the rea, and 345s up front?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Don't get hsd whatever you do. Terrible reviews on most of the forums, been in 2 cars with them and definitely incorrect dampening for the car. Also the hsds have a problem. Where the rear shock lower bushes falls out!

Most of the m3 lot go for bc racing over hsd, also the bc racing have the correct caster preset as opposed to screwing round with slotted bolt holes.

And don't even consider using true rear coils, there's not really any advantage (bmw didn't with their race cars) and you'll literially need a full weld in cage with extra bars welded to the strut tops, and arch modifying as there's not much room for a spring to fit without rubbing.

The only car I've seen made it work hard custom rear tubs, and about 6 different bars reinforcing the rear shock turret. The metal is just too thin and not designed for the loads
    Interesting HSD are the inthing here drift boi's love em. Also have them in my 200sx damping force has a 16 point selection spring rate can also be adjusted. will agree on the top mount central location perfect for negative camber but i can only just bring it in true for road use so they dont chew the tires.

Rides
    The bc racing top mounts have the top mount towards the rear of the car giving the oem max caster. By using centered mounts like the ones pictures you lose several degrees that they have from the factory. The bc racing coilovers are still camber adjustable too.

Hsd are.popular in the drift jap stuff, but every single person I've known /heard/seen does not rate them for bmws. Most of the rear shock bushes psychically fall out, and the rear dampers have a short life span. Bc and meister r seem to get the best reviews. Then kw for higher end stuff.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    First chance i've had to read through this Paul. Cars looking good mate. Be interested to hear what you think of the coilovers as I can't say i've heard much about the Yellowspeed stuff.

R.e the AP brakes. What size discs are you running and what pads?
    Running 355x32mm discs with DS2500 pads atm. Want to swap out the 2500's for Pagid RS29 as in the M i really dont rate the stopping power when up to temp. Maybe the car is just too heavy

Rides
    DS2500's are crap on any car tbh Mel.

You won't go wrong with some RS29's, Ive ran them on my Megane and rate them highly but I'm on something a fair bit more aggressive now. Loads of my Track day going mates run the RS29's on various stuff, From light FWD hatches up to M3's and GT3's

Rides
    Cheers Jamie. What pads you running now? A lot of the cutters trackday regulars seem to be happy with the pagids.

Rides
    A little taste of yesterdays work.

Converted to studs. No more having to juggle a wheel trying to get the bolts in
    IMG_3140 by Paul Mellish, on Flickr

Some reinforcing - rear spring perch, front & rear topmount plates also
    IMG_3135 by Paul Mellish, on Flickr

Coilovers

IMG_3144 by Paul Mellish, on Flickr

IMG_3143 by Paul Mellish, on Flickr

Rear camber adjustment
    IMG_3145 by Paul Mellish, on Flickr

All fitted
    IMG_3148 by Paul Mellish, on Flickr

IMG_3153 by Paul Mellish, on Flickr

IMG_3155 by Paul Mellish, on Flickr

First impressions of the coilies - very nice. They look fantastically made, remote reservior for better cooling (probably not going to be needed but you never know), bound and rebound adjustment for more customability when fine tuning the ride etc.

And a very little tease of what also happened yesterday but as it's not quite sorted yet this is all your getting

Hope you like the updates
    Last edited by MEL; 12-07-2015 at 11:37.

Rides
    Thanks to http://dalperformance.wix.com/dalperformance and Pablo for rolling my arch lips.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Cheers Jamie. What pads you running now? A lot of the cutters trackday regulars seem to be happy with the pagids.
    I'm on Carbotechs on the front and some CL's on the rear now, Needs semi slicks to fully benefit from the full potential of them mind you

Rides
    Another day another issue. Lots of errors again, this time it's transmission and circuit related. Some reading tells me it could be the steering angle sensor needs resetting which is easy enough with inpa but I need to get the alignment done first which means I need my new tyres to turn up ASAP

Rides
    Tyres and brake pads have been delayed by 'action' at the channel crossing

This saturday is about the only time I had spoare between now and the weekender to get them fitted and the car aligned

Rides
    ah bummer dude if you can get the tyres and allignment ill give you a hand with the pads at the weekender track pads are 1 lap bed in usually anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Thought you was going true rear Coilover Mel? Cars coming along well mate, which stud conversion did you use? Just bought and elite d kit for my e36

Rides
    Belated update time.

All warning lights on the dash are now goned. Followinga full alignment the last warning lights disappeared which makes a happy boy

Managed to get rid of about 2deg camber off the rears with no scrubbing off my new MPSS tyres filled with nitrogen to make them more stable with temperature changes on track days.

Other than that it's the dreaded rust appearing on the arches
    That'sprobablygoingtobeawinter fix.

Rides
    MOT time today!

Rides
    Passed. New number plate bulb needed. Relief.