Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My M

Rides
    You certainly did spend some money there chap ......ooooof!

To be fair when it come time to sell I doubt you loose much on those. Always someone wants a set
    Have the lollipops worked?

Rides
    They are not new. Got a good deal considering they came with braided lines,AP 5.1 fluid and ds2500's all round. The steering doesn't feel quite as wayward now but alignment is required to really tell if things are how they should be. CSL settings is on the cards me thinks.

Brakes feel phenomenal now even on the short and very tame journey back from Dals.

Rides
    Not a good weekend

think the arch is going to need attention as they have managed to scuff half the lip as well as crease it. The roof might pop out

Rides
    Crap, what happened?

Rides
    Car park ****er and fireworks; (

Rides
    Another week, another problem!

Massive hesitation and inability to accelerate this morning. Seen quite a few threads crop up about this recently and all seems to point to coil packs so seeing as ECP are having one of their "every day is black Friday 50%off sale" I have ordered some new ones. Risking that it could be something else but I've got plugs to change anyway so why not?

We'll see.

Edit: just read it could also be a vanos issue. I'll start with the cheap solution first and see if I can get it read for codes ASAP
    Last edited by MEL; 28-11-2014 at 12:48.

Rides
    Car is now SORN. Got all the diagnostic stuff so need to pull my finger out and get shizzle sorted.

Rides
    Hope you get it sorted soon dude the brakes look awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Cheers Aaron. Went to plug it in yesterday and the poxy laptop died straight away - must have a duff battery. Note to self, take the power lead next time

Rides
    Ah bummer my mini went into limp mode today bloody modern cars what happened to gearing problems first

Rides
    I'll be plugging in this weekend. If I can ditch the kids for a few hours I can bring everything to the next meet if needed (I'll need to check dates and confirm if that is actually possible now I've written it)

Rides
    Finally got round to reading the errors.*

Inpa shows 16 error codes:
    6 - smg time out*
    44 - oil level sensor*
    51 - ignition coil cylinder 6
    79 - egt sensor*
    107 - electronic throttle self test*
    196 - misfire cylinder 1 with cutout*
    197 - misfire cylinder 2 with cutout*
    201 - Misfire cylinder 6 with cutout*
    204 - misfire multiple cylinder with cutout*
    205 - misfire cylinder 1 without cutout*
    206 - misfire cylinder 2 without cutout*
    208 - misfire cylinder 3 without cutout*
    209 - misfire cylinder 5 without cutout*
    210 - misfire cylinder 6 without cutout*
    213 - misfire multiple cylinder without cutout*

Unfortunately my battery died otherwise I would have reset and run the diagnostic again (I replaced the coils and plugs before Christmas) just to see if the codes disappeared.*

Battery is charging so we'll see next week or whenever I can get back to the car*

Looks to be 1 thing that will probably solve all if not most of those issues.

Rides
    Changed the sparks again today, fuel filter and cleaned the maf. Seems to have sorted the problem but I left my cables at work so couldn't reset the codes and re-run the diagnostics to see if that's the end of it.

Rides
    good news bud. When cleaning the MAF was it easy enough to do. obvious where to spray etc and would electrical contact cleaner be ok?

Rides
    Takes 10mins if that. You'll need a torx bit but I can't remember the size.

We used an electric circuit cleaner from ecp but I'm sure you can find the same stuff in maplins etc for half the price.

Rides
    Been a while. It sailed through the MOT (with tape over the ABS light on the dash)which was a surprise. Following that the car actually got driven last weekend for the first time since November last year. It felt good(ish)! Still needs to be properly aligned to really feel the benefits of the work done to date.

Reset all the error codes and none came back so thats something.

Now looking ahead to the summer and next year I am starting to think about some track prep work. Ive ordered some suspension reinforcement parts to be fitted when I get round to getting some coilovers - rear spring perch reinforcement plates, front strut reinforcement plates and rear topmount reinforcement plates. Hopefully that will future proof the cheese used by BMW.

Now onto coilovers. Usual suspect in HSD monopro http://www.driftworks.com/hsd-coilov...e39-m3-m5.html or Yellow Speed http://www.yellowspeedeurope.com/man...-e46-3534.html

Anyone know anything about Yellow Speed? Seems they are popular with the Honda and Lexus boys in the states. Made in Taiwan but with a euro distributor (like BC, K-Sport and HSD i guess). At this price range they all seem very similar but I do like the idea of having a proper coilover on the rear (dont know why though ) and cant really stretch to Intrax.

Rides
    Great stuff mate, cant really help on the coild frotn though nexer used yellowspeed. What about Gaz?

Rides
    Don't get hsd whatever you do. Terrible reviews on most of the forums, been in 2 cars with them and definitely incorrect dampening for the car. Also the hsds have a problem. Where the rear shock lower bushes falls out!

Most of the m3 lot go for bc racing over hsd, also the bc racing have the correct caster preset as opposed to screwing round with slotted bolt holes.

And don't even consider using true rear coils, there's not really any advantage (bmw didn't with their race cars) and you'll literially need a full weld in cage with extra bars welded to the strut tops, and arch modifying as there's not much room for a spring to fit without rubbing.

The only car I've seen made it work hard custom rear tubs, and about 6 different bars reinforcing the rear shock turret. The metal is just too thin and not designed for the loads
    Last edited by Zornyan; 10-05-2015 at 18:54.

Rides
    Not necessarily true Ollie for the rear coilovers. A strut fitted between the rear towers about 1/2 way up combined with some reinforcing as per my previous post is a perfectly fine solution.

Yellow speed are looking like a good candidate, just depends on after sales service and support

Rides
    http://www.masonengineering.net/imag...oorsupport.jpg I've seen people weld these in, and double skin the shock mount and still rip it all of. Redish motorsport prepare loads of beemers for race series, and they don't think it's worthwhile to go true rear coilovers.

For the extra effort what's the gain?