Thread: Boot locked shut, lever mechanism broke, how they hell can i get in???

Rides

Boot locked shut, lever mechanism broke, how they hell can i get in???

Title says it all really. Lever is pulling the cable and moving the mechanism but something has broken in the lever end of things so its not releasing the boot. Key wont do it either any ideas? Is there an emergency latch i cant see?

Rides
    Can't use your key? Failing that if you car has a stripped out rear (or fold the seats down) you can open the latch with a flat head screwdriver, pain in the arse though

Rides
    Two possibles:
    The key machanism can get sticky through lack of use, or if it has become slightly loose from the panel. Persistent GENTLE wiggling can often get it to work. I say gentle because you don't want to getting anywhere near the force required to break the key.

There is a release lever inside the boot, but you need a slim/foolish person to wiggle through the back seat aperture to reach it. I'll try and find a pic of it.

Rides
    if it's the lever end that's broke (ie, not getting enough pivot, not pulling cable long enough)then you should be able to take it apart and get a set of pliers on it to pull the cable.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'll try and find a pic of it.
    Searched and couldn't find a pic, then realised I have a camera sat next to me , and an S14 with missing boot trim, parked outside

I forget now whether there is a hole in the standard boot trim to give access to the latch. If not, the trim carpet will have to be pulled down.

The tab (marked red) needs to be moved to the right to release the boot.

For info: If the tab is moved downwards, this disables the interior lever, and may well be what has happened in your case.

Rides
    Get some WD40 or equivalent sprayed into the lock. Your key will work in seconds.

Rides
    Jon is right with this one, I've had to wiggle in the boot myself in the past because of this, take a torch and a flat head screwdriver, it's not hard if ya can fit your shoulders and head in.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    For info: If the tab is moved downwards, this disables the interior lever, and may well be what has happened in your case.
    Top tip, this! I just went and did this to mine, I thought the boot cable was stretched which is why it wouldn't open, had the latch off and all sorts over the last few months! Tried what you said and it works like new again, thanks!

Rides
    Wahey! Jon that worked instantly mate if you were any closer to me id buy you a beer cheers man!