Thread: gearbox help

Rides

gearbox help

Ok guys ive got an s14a. Just had it mapped. Took jt out for a blast last night. And when I stopped to reverse I cant get into reverse. Getting into reverse was always an issue espically when hot. Normally when egine got warmer was always more difficult getting into gears. Anyway today I thought I would try to get into reverse even with engine off. Wont go in. What could this be...a ****ed gear box?

Rides
    is 5th dodgy too? if so its the selector that's bent/worn. having said that, some crap short shifters don't help, I use B&M, think the Apex copy should be fine too, but some of the ebay shifters are pure pooh...

if stock shifter check the nylon widget is still on the end of the stick (remove lever from above and see--10min job)

if all that fails, change the oil. Wont cure forever, but usually improves no end, ive just done the same on a new s14 box to me and reverse coupled with paddle clutch mean reverse wasn't that easy. Dropped out top quality synth gear oil by PO and filled with redline heavy duty shockproof and its good as gold again (cant recommend that stuff highly enough!)

Rides
    thanks for your reply. on further inspection there is gearbox everywhere. looks like its been leaking. when in fifth its very hard to get into neutral even with engine off really have to slam on the gear shifter. It wont even find reverse gear as if its not there. no crunching no horrible gear sound just wont even slot in. Also with engine running its makes a horrible noise in the gear box. it goes away when you press the clutch. could it be that its emptied its self of oil and thats why it sounds horrible or could it be more serious.

Rides
    if the gear selector is the problem how do i go about fixing this and how much is it going to hurt the wallet

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CNHSS1 View Post

if all that fails, change the oil. Wont cure forever, but usually improves no end, ive just done the same on a new s14 box to me and reverse coupled with paddle clutch mean reverse wasn't that easy. Dropped out top quality synth gear oil by PO and filled with redline heavy duty shockproof and its good as gold again (cant recommend that stuff highly enough!)
    Is it the 75/140 your using? I could do with getting some for my box I think as it's pretty worn, I was going to replace it but with the costs involved Iv just sourced a new nose for it and il try and see how long I can get it to last... If this oil is that good then maybe it will help with the crunch into 3rd, which is the only real fault with the box tbf

Sorry to hijack the thread a touch, but at least it might confirm the right oil you need aswell

Rides
    This one75/250
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=360713802177

You need 2.5 bottles

A mate uses it is his 700hp SWB Quattro and does great job of protecting box. It contains little nano capsules which take the shock out of the transmission, act like little cushions! The capsules get worn out eventually but should do half s season ok

Rides
    Sounds like you have snapped the selector fork. I'v done this twice now. Its quite easy to change if you not worried and taking the box out and taking the casings off. But then you need another fork from an old box.

Rides
    My reverse is almost non existent but with gentle care it will engage, and then pop out and then engage... 1st is also a bit tricky to enage. Still manage to drive the car OK though and it continues to take a hiding on track.

I lost 4th gear completly the time before last at Brands. After a 45 min rest and then a drive to the petrol garage it came back, wierd right? And I managed to drive that afternoon without any issues!?! Anyway I changed the box oil after, which came out like grey/silver custard. and put in Motul Gear 300 75W-90 Racing box oil. Next time out on track it was totally fine, apart from iffy reverse and 1st. Not sure how long it'll last but I've used the Red line heavy shock stuff in the past and it was crap. Found stock Nissan gear a lot better, problem with the Nissan stuff is it doesn't do to well when you use the car hard.

Sounds to me like we need a GB on Z33 conversions

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    My reverse is almost non existent but with gentle care it will engage, and then pop out and then engage... 1st is also a bit tricky to enage. Still manage to drive the car OK though and it continues to take a hiding on track.

I lost 4th gear completly the time before last at Brands. After a 45 min rest and then a drive to the petrol garage it came back, wierd right? And I managed to drive that afternoon without any issues!?! Anyway I changed the box oil after, which came out like grey/silver custard. and put in Motul Gear 300 75W-90 Racing box oil. Next time out on track it was totally fine, apart from iffy reverse and 1st. Not sure how long it'll last but I've used the Red line heavy shock stuff in the past and it was crap. Found stock Nissan gear a lot better, problem with the Nissan stuff is it doesn't do to well when you use the car hard.

Sounds to me like we need a GB on Z33 conversions
    Bloody annoying running more power isnt it. But foe the 10minutes the car works its all worth it. Yer a z33 conversiom is the way to go
    Or a second hand sequential is what I would love. Dont know how long they last though